Our school run just got a little easier

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have to post this, because the very week I aired this complaint in this post in a recent thread, the situation improved - as if by magic. It could have been a coincidence, but there is a small chance that someone associated with the school in question was reading, and took action. If not, maybe some other local resident made a direct approach.

This was the basic complaint:
First day back at school for Chirimoyito and the trip involved running the gauntlet of the parents and chauffeurs taking their kids to another school, who block one of the side streets on our route. They simply stop their vehicles in the middle, once the sides of the road are taken up, and the lesser mortals in transit have to wait patiently until their precious cargo has been unloaded.

Note: I didn't name the school or specify the location, but a later post by another poster who used to work at that school, knows me personally and knows exactly which route I was talking about, gave some more details and all but identified the school.

There are stewards working there, supposedly to control the drop-off process, who never seemed to do much to control badly-stopped vehicles, because like many employees in these situations, they would probably get the: "Do you know WHO I am?" response from anyone they dared to challenge, and risk losing their jobs. Note again: this goes a long way to explain certain behaviours by certain social sectors in certain situations.

Mr C did the morning school run on Friday and when he got back, he reported that things had improved in that particular spot. I did it this morning and what they appear to have done is stopped people from parking on one side of the street, so that through traffic can pass unhindered.

If by any chance the comments on DR1 had anything to do with this, I would like to express my thanks. We can now think of leaving home just that little bit later in the mornings, which is a most welcome development.

Credit where credit is due!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow!

somehow my complains are never met with a quick solution...

LOL

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
Chirimoya;

Is it possible the private school was closed or many US Students were not in attendance due to Martin L King Holiday on Monday?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The school was definitely open on Friday and Monday, but there was less traffic. Tuesday too. Wednesday and Thursday, however, was back to 'normal'.

From my usual vantage point, it's not the US students whose parents/chauffeurs stop the car in the middle of the road/pull out without signalling, etc.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
From my usual vantage point, it's not the US students whose parents/chauffeurs stop the car in the middle of the road/pull out without signalling, etc.

There's your answer then. Get chatting to some of those parents to get them to put pressure on the others. They may not want to wear the same label as the middle of the road parkers so.............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe you should get your car "pimped" james bond style? a car-to-car missile gun? canon? flame thrower? poisoned darts?

have you tried talking to the school principle? be mean and say you are a journalist and have "media contacts". does this threat works in DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From what I understand, the school authorities are concerned but powerless against a certain type of parent who considers themselves above any authority. There you have it in a nutshell.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
From what I understand, the school authorities are concerned but powerless against a certain type of parent who considers themselves above any authority. There you have it in a nutshell.

While driving my young children to school, I noticed that the guy who directs traffic in front of the school was wearing military fatigues. Suddently two men on a motorcycle, dressed like SWAT, stopped and carried a short exchange with him. I thought he was going to be arrested for wearing the military outfit. So, when I passed by him, I quipped about his close call with authority. He then pointed towards his collar and sleeve, and showed me his insignia. He was a first lieutenant in the National Police!