Groceries....

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Looking for a little help here...a girlfriend and I are taking an extended vacation and living in Punta Cana(El Cortecito area)...we wanted to make a budget for weekly expenses...

1) Can anyone tell me how much would groceries cost for 2 people per week ? On average...

2) Is it much cheaper to buy in Higuey than in Bavaro/El Cortecito ?

3) What is the average price for dinner for 2 people ?

4) What means of transport exist ?

Thanks in advance !!!:cheeky:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have a good friend who lives in the Cortecito and I recently spent a few days there. These questions are a little more difficult to answer than if you were inquiring about SD, Santiago, or the Puerto Plata area because Punta Cana/Bavaro is just now adjusting to expats living there, versus being developed as an AI resort area. But I'll give you my opinions...

1) There is no supermarket in the PC/Bavaro area, and I only saw one tiny colmado on the beach, Im sure there are a few others "in town" but you'll definitely want to go outside the area for major shopping.

2) See #1

3) there are some decent and fair priced restaurants in Cortecito, 3 on the beach, a couple just off the beach, and several in the various plazas, about 10 minutes from the beach. Average price for dinner, probably about $800 - 1000 pesos plus drinks, per couple.

4) I found the taxis to be quite expensive and they quote in US dollars, for example, $10 from the beach area of Cortecito to "town" or the main bus stop. They're used to shuttling people to and from the AI resorts, the airports and attractions, not used to day to day transport. THey're are plenty of motoconchos around and guaguas, but not nearly as many as other areas.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If you are going to shop for groceries then I suggest that you do so at Almacenes Iberia in Higuey. I live here in El Seybo which is 55 kilometers from Higuey and that is where I do my shopping. Of course you may find cheaper places in Higuey but regardless it will all be cheaper then in the PC/Bavaro area. A typical average for meals in a Dominican eatery without beverages would be about 100-150 pesos for breakfast, 200-250 pesos for lunch and 300=350 pesos for dinner. This is an average and you can find higher and lower than those listed. I am not referring to prices in the PC/Bavaro area that cater to tourists but rather to any place that caters to Dominicans that aren't rich.

Rick

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the info....We were actually planning on doing the major grocery shopping in Higuey...but do you think the transport cost will cancel out the savings on food....Just a thought....

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Try to meet some of the expats in the cortecito area... have lunch at Bambu...hang out at Solo (i think).. both on the beach and popular hangouts, there's also a third place in that same area...and ask around. Im sure there are guaguas and other public transportation into higuey...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I know there is public transport other than taxi which is a lot cheaper but you will need someone else to advise you as to how to utlize it.

Rick

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Amalia is the supermarket in el Cortecito. It's right across the street from Captain Cooks restaurant. Prices are slightly higher than Iberia in Higuey and the selection is somewhat limited but you can usually find what you need. And you can walk there on the beach from wherever you're staying. I suggest stopping at the new grocery store in Veron on the way from the airport. Then supplement at Amalia. (Of course Iberia is the way to go if you have someone who can take you.) I would allow $100 per week for 2 people -meals, snacks, beverages, etc.(NOT including dinners out or alcohol).
Yes, taxis are expensive. But there are plenty of motoconchos who will take you wherever you have to go for 50 pesos.
Dinner can range from $10 - $50each. Depends on where you go, what you eat and how much you drink! Buy fresh fish when the fishing boats come in. Then barbeque your dinner. It will be about 60 pesos per pound.
You'll love el Cortecito.