Electricity Rates

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
According to the DR1 news: Lights won't go up in 2007 - After the meeting, which lasted for over three hours, CDEEE executive vice president Radhames Segura reported that the government was not thinking of increasing the electricity rates in 2007.

According to today's newspaper: The government is reducing Electricity Subsidy by 25%.

- - - - - - - - -

Now I know sometimes my logical understanding in this country does not always work properly, so can someone explain how the Electric Companies will not increase the rates if the government stops subsidies?

I know, it's a Dominican Thing!

Don - SantiagoDR

I'm not fluent in Spanish, so please type slowly......

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to the DR1 news: Lights won't go up in 2007 - After the meeting, which lasted for over three hours, CDEEE executive vice president Radhames Segura reported that the government was not thinking of increasing the electricity rates in 2007.

According to today's newspaper: The government is reducing Electricity Subsidy by 25%.

- - - - - - - - -

Now I know sometimes my logical understanding in this country does not always work properly, so can someone explain how the Electric Companies will not increase the rates if the government stops subsidies?

I know, it's a Dominican Thing!

Don - SantiagoDR

I'm not fluent in Spanish, so please type slowly......

I w i l l t r y t o t y p e v v e r y s l o w l y... ;-)

Many non-paying (poor) neighborhoods and regions are allocated certain hours of electricity (not necessarily daily). A 25% reduction in subsidy will involve reducing electric power to these neighborhoods by an equal percentage of the time.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I w i l l t r y t o t y p e v v e r y s l o w l y... ;-)

Many non-paying (poor) neighborhoods and regions are allocated certain hours of electricity (not necessarily daily). A 25% reduction in subsidy will involve reducing electric power to these neighborhoods by an equal percentage of the time.

Except, the usual method of operation is to reduce service to all neighborhoods, without regard to payment history. What makes you think it will be different this time?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Translation

That probably translates to:

The government is running out of money to pay the "politicians", so the population will get less electiricty, so that the politicians can continue to be paid.