Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safe places in Santiago

I am looking to rent an apartment in Santiago. Although I can generally look at an area at night and can tell whether there is going to be a problem, I thought it would be best to ask the Forum. Does anyone have an idea of what neighborhoods are safe and which ones are not?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hillbilly, AZB and Snuffy should soon be along to answer your question

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I definitely LOVE the "Trinitaria" in Santiago.....

in my "block", it is so quiet all day and night you can't believe it. In our area, power always seems to run....I suppose thats because Edenorte is my "neighbor". Safe in the day and night. I do not believe anyone feels any fear in this sector....old ladys out walking their dogs by themselves around 10 at night ...haha.

Honestly, I cannot complain about anything in this "sector" and "my Torre" except that the cost of living in this "neighborhood area" is significantly higher than most areas of the DR.

Suerte!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many areas in Santiago that are safe. Most of it is safe as long as you are not moving into the poorest barrios. That gives you a lot of places to look for an apartment. From there it depends on your budget and exactly what you are looking for....Upper Class nicest areas are located around the Verizon main office. If you want a slight campo feel you can go toward Gurabo. If you want a middle class feel then there are plenty of areas to choose from.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DMS. I was looking for Trinitaria on my map and can not find it. What are some nearby things that will help me locate it?

Post Thanks / Like

Trinitaria is between Juan Pablo Duarte and Argentina Avenues.
    Esmeralda is across Estrella Sadhalá by Hollywood--where you wanted to go--
    Cerros de Gurabo, Los Colegios, Los Jardines, Rincon Largo, are all well known areas..
    Unless you go around with gangsta dress code, ride a pimped up whip and lots of bling, I would not worry about where you live.....

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Snuffy,
    I am looking for a two to three bedroom that is unfurnished, > 800 square feet, clean apartment with a balcony and off street parking. Safety is a concern, having read many threads here. I am in good shape and would kick the crap out of someone breaking in my place, but that is something I do not want to have to do.
    Although I have been to Santiago many times and stayed there for extensive periods, I have not seen a lot of barrios. Unfortunately I would not know whether one was poor or rich. Strike that; yes, I would, but I would be guilty of stereotyping.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks HB,
    Man that was funny! Maybe for Holloween I could dress like that and rent a car like that. Then, I could go down to the "New expat bar". As for now, my dress and style are more of a classic nature. Because I look young, I have to dress conservatively if I want to be taken seriously. The last time I was there I felt safe. It was just that there were a couple of threads out there that made me questioned it.
    Funny that I worry about safety and I live in Washington D.C. (aka murder capitol)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i never saw one mud\rder and robbery in all my years. move anywhere in santiago and make yourself at home.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the post. I found and apartment in Los Esmeralla and I am in the process of moving in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast