Safe places in Santiago

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I am looking to rent an apartment in Santiago. Although I can generally look at an area at night and can tell whether there is going to be a problem, I thought it would be best to ask the Forum. Does anyone have an idea of what neighborhoods are safe and which ones are not?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I definitely LOVE the "Trinitaria" in Santiago.....

in my "block", it is so quiet all day and night you can't believe it. In our area, power always seems to run....I suppose thats because Edenorte is my "neighbor". Safe in the day and night. I do not believe anyone feels any fear in this sector....old ladys out walking their dogs by themselves around 10 at night ...haha.

Honestly, I cannot complain about anything in this "sector" and "my Torre" except that the cost of living in this "neighborhood area" is significantly higher than most areas of the DR.

Suerte!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
There are many areas in Santiago that are safe. Most of it is safe as long as you are not moving into the poorest barrios. That gives you a lot of places to look for an apartment. From there it depends on your budget and exactly what you are looking for....Upper Class nicest areas are located around the Verizon main office. If you want a slight campo feel you can go toward Gurabo. If you want a middle class feel then there are plenty of areas to choose from.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks DMS. I was looking for Trinitaria on my map and can not find it. What are some nearby things that will help me locate it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trinitaria is between Juan Pablo Duarte and Argentina Avenues.
Esmeralda is across Estrella Sadhal? by Hollywood--where you wanted to go--
Cerros de Gurabo, Los Colegios, Los Jardines, Rincon Largo, are all well known areas..
Unless you go around with gangsta dress code, ride a pimped up whip and lots of bling, I would not worry about where you live.....

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks Snuffy,
I am looking for a two to three bedroom that is unfurnished, > 800 square feet, clean apartment with a balcony and off street parking. Safety is a concern, having read many threads here. I am in good shape and would kick the crap out of someone breaking in my place, but that is something I do not want to have to do.
Although I have been to Santiago many times and stayed there for extensive periods, I have not seen a lot of barrios. Unfortunately I would not know whether one was poor or rich. Strike that; yes, I would, but I would be guilty of stereotyping.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks HB,
Man that was funny! Maybe for Holloween I could dress like that and rent a car like that. Then, I could go down to the "New expat bar". As for now, my dress and style are more of a classic nature. Because I look young, I have to dress conservatively if I want to be taken seriously. The last time I was there I felt safe. It was just that there were a couple of threads out there that made me questioned it.
Funny that I worry about safety and I live in Washington D.C. (aka murder capitol)

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks everyone for the post. I found and apartment in Los Esmeralla and I am in the process of moving in.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I lived in Residencial Marsella in la Esmeralda a few years ago.

Nice quiet neighborhood and convenient to just about anywhere in the city. Hope you find it the same.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
DJlawlaw, you will fit in that area just fine. Just don't forget to call me. I will introduce you to all the good people in santiago. I hate to have some handsome young expat move into santiago to create competition for us old timer, but I suppose, we have room for this one.
welcome to santiago.
AZB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks AZB. I can not exactly say that you are an old timer (especially in the DR). I am not exactly retired so I am still working pretty hard, which will leave most of Santiago all to yourself. However, I am interested in meeting the good people of Santiago. Thanks for your hospitality. You are kind person. I will give you a call this week. I know that you are heading out of town soon; I hope that we can meet up before you go. However, I do have a lot of errands to run in between work. If we can not meet up before you go, then we can do so when you get back. After all, I am living here now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No need to close it (you cannot close a thread). It will soon slip down to join those threads that have lost their little place in the sun, while something new takes over.