Dominican Drivers License

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
For the last time can someone help me get this straight???

First- I go to the Dominican Consulate in Toronto to get my Canadian drivers license translated and authenticated.

Second-I go to the Chanceleria in Santo Domingo to notorize this document.

Third-I go to DGTT with those documents, pay all the required fees and get my Dominican drivers license "WITH OUT PASSING ANY SORT OF EXAM!".

Is this correct???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, thats what I did for my UK license. All I needed to get was an authentication letter, it didn't need to be translated.

dstruggle

Jan 17, 2006
more questions

does this apply to u.s. licenses too ? i thought you had to get a lawyer apply for temp residency or something like that.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Off course you need to have a Cedula

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you should also bring your cedula.
Does any one know if I still need to get the blood test and the eye exam.
And where should I go to get this done in Santo Domingo???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you should also bring your cedula.
Does any one know if I still need to get the blood test and the eye exam.
And where should I go to get this done in Santo Domingo???

They do this at the same place you get your license from.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Thanks Rob!

I don't know how I would have survived the DR with out DR1 !!!
You guys are simply the best... If only every country had a site like this one, it would just be to simple!:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
new licence

since now i have my cedula (sort of) and a residence i dare to ask - do i have any chance to pass the written test with my poor spanish? i understand written spanish better than spoken but i would like to know whether questions are illustrated by a little sketch or something?

i don't even know how does it look like, the test...

maybe it should not be posted in a LEGAL section but would passing some pesos from hand to hand help? ;) i mean, what does the test matter if the rules are not applied anyway?

ps i have a good memory, if there is a book of driving test questions and the same one will pop out on the exam i will remember, does it help?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you go to the driving license/testing place here in Santo Domingo they will provide you with a free translator, just ask. If you act dumb with a smile, people will help you and make your life easy. Also the boss (female) and main colonial in charge both speak perfect English. They show you a video and ask you questions based on the video, I hear it's very easy and I have never heard of a gringo failing.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
since now i have my cedula (sort of) and a residence i dare to ask - do i have any chance to pass the written test with my poor spanish? i understand written spanish better than spoken but i would like to know whether questions are illustrated by a little sketch or something?

i don't even know how does it look like, the test...

maybe it should not be posted in a LEGAL section but would passing some pesos from hand to hand help? ;) i mean, what does the test matter if the rules are not applied anyway?

ps i have a good memory, if there is a book of driving test questions and the same one will pop out on the exam i will remember, does it help?

In Puerto Plata the test is on a computer, multi choice questions - you click on correct box I understand. I say 'I understand' because although I have a Dominican driving licence I have never seen the test ;) so yes pesos help. So does looking helpless; a friend who did it said the girl told him where to click. Maybe a day for minovio to stay out earning rather than be with you? When I went to 'organise' mine I took a copy of the highway code which I had purchased for 15 pesos from a stationers (you know the one saying what does this picture mean - showing red light - answer 'stop', what does this picture mean - showing red and green lights - answer 'the lights are not working'. Really, I'm not kidding). When I showed my copy of highway code like the good girl scout I am (be prepared) they all looked at it and said 'What's that?'

You need to go to BanReservas first to pay the taxes, then get test showing blood group. Then take docs. to DGTT (behind baseball stadium).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
easy peasy: pretend i'm dumb - comes natural to me. wear short skirt - would that help? (it certainly helped my friend passing her practice test for the eight time) plus a smile and some cash, how much, may i ask?

Colin

Jun 1, 2006
Corrupt DR or just a way of life, whatever just say how it is

Why not tell how it is, the majority of Dominicans do not ever take a test, which of course contributes to the unacceptable driving and appalling death rate in the DR.
They pay 500 or 1,500 pesos for all the paper work signed and stamped, you and any foreigner can do the same. if you can live with that.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Short Skirt ????

To wear a short skirt is not a good advice,
I've tried to pass the test but without succes.
I weared a short skirt and the guy was kidding.
Maybe because i am a man ?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To wear a short skirt is not a good advice,
I've tried to pass the test but without succes.
I weared a short skirt and the guy was kidding.
Maybe because i am a man ?

:laugh: In PP it's not good advice if you're a woman either. The person administering the computer test is a woman. Can't tell you how much now dv8, I got mine 4 years ago under the previous admin & the system was different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why not tell how it is, the majority of Dominicans do not ever take a test, which of course contributes to the unacceptable driving and appalling death rate in the DR.
They pay 500 or 1,500 pesos for all the paper work signed and stamped, you and any foreigner can do the same. if you can live with that.

i can live with that. definitely. maybe not for long but i can.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I too am planning to get my Dominican Drivers license this Friday in POP. Can someone detail the process for me with cost? I see bits and pieces in this thread but not the entire picture. Helpless comes naturally to me and I can wear a skirt if I can get one in a mans size. Also, do I have to give up my drivers licenses from the States?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
First off, if you don't speak fluent Spanish you will probably fail the test. You will be alone with a computer that will verbally ask you yes or no questions in Spanish. The sound is bad and they speak fast.

Sep 19, 2005
They do this at the same place you get your license from.

I would be kinda leary of getting blood taken at the same place that gives out drivers licenses....especially with the incidence of aids in the DR.

I just wouldnt trust them to not cut a corner if they ran out of supplies....

I mean we dont even see stuff like that in america that i know of.... they send you to a professional clinic for that kind of stuff....

bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don't have to take the blood test. Just tell them your blood type and they will use that. It is supposed to be if you don't know your type. If he insists a small propina will do.