My first trip report...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I arrived in the DR on Dec 14th 2006. I will give you a quick synopsis of what I did from this day until the 25th which is when something really awful began to happen to me and I want you all to know about it.

From the 14th through the 25th I partied hard (going to Zoom, Dolce and other lounges in Santiago), went to Sosua (my favorite beach) about 5 times, had dinner with friends and family etc.

On the 25th the family decided to spend the day in Sosua (as per my request). We went in a 3 car caravan. As you know there are countless spots along the beach in Sosua where you can rent chairs and these spots offer food. My family, friends and I have been going to the very same spot over the past 5 years. The plan was to eat something light in the afternoon as we were going to have dinner in Maimon. So we ordered some "chicharon de pollo sin huesos, croquetas de pescado and chicaron de pescado" not sure wha the english translation would be for the food. It was all accompanied by tostones and salad. We left sosua and went straight to Santiago. We didn't stop in Maimom. At home I ate baked chicken at night. The following day I woke up and my body felt tired and kind of numb. I had real bad diarreah and a slight fever. I figured that something I ate the day before didn't do me well. I called up the pharmacy and they sent over some meds with their motorcycle delivery guy. I took the meds mid morning and I felt better by late afternoon. This was the 26th.

Fast forward to the morning of the 29th and I was still battling with the diarreah and the slight fever that kept coming back. The fever never went above 39. Normal is 37. The morning of the 29th at 4 am my body woke me up and it was cold and numb. I measured the pressure and it was 70 over 40. REALLY low for me. My norm is 120 over 60. Went to the Materno in Santiago and the emergency doctor said I was just simply dehydrated. Put on some IV with something called "destroza" and after two hours sent me home. I felt a little better but from the day before I figured there was something really wrong with me. Now, I should make the point that I have NEVER been hospitalized in my life and I can count with one hand the times I have been to an emergency room. VERY RARE. I am a very healthy individual.

The afternoon of the 29th the fever came back with avengence and reached 40. I also started to delveop a dry cough. I called a friend who's brother is a doctor at the Materno. Went by around 4ish, had some bloodwork done and waited around. Bloodwork came back two hours later and the doc said "I am surprised you have not gone into some kind of shock". I do not know medical terms well but I'll try to describe what he noticed. Something about the red T cells being way too high. Norm is 9,000 mine were 20,000. Something called eritro was algo high. Norm for a male is around 30 mine were 87. Also said something about GKP and some other things being EXTREMELY high. He told me he needed to admit me to the hospital right then and there. I said let me go back home and park my rental and I'll come back in a taxi. He said "hell no, you are staying right here".

I don't want to make this too long. Let me see how I can slice this and make it simple. I was admitted the afternoon of the 29th. Later on that night I was admitted to the intensive care unit because I could not breath. Not even with oxygen on. At this point the doc didn't know what was wrong but had a suspicion. He asked me something which a doc had never asked and immediately I knew I was in the DR. He asked if money was an issue because he could try and treat me with lower cost antiboitics or the good stuff. I told him immediately MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE PUMP ME THE BEST STUFF YOU GOT. The following morning my stomach was hard as a rock and I showed an intestinal infection and chronic pneumonia. I was being administered antiboitics and all kinds of meds every 4 hours. I was also being put on the fibulator(sp)???. That's the machine that blows steam into your lungs. That day, on the 30th, they had to make a decision on wether or not they would open up a hole on my throat and put me on the ventilator and open up a whole in my lungs to drain out liquid. My doc decided to wait a little longer to see if I would respond well to the meds. In the night time came time for them to decide and my doc made his observation. I was responding really well and my breathing had improved but it was not normal. Again, I was being pumped with meds every 4 hours and I was on IV all along. In the morning of the 31st came time for the nurses to switch. Night staff leaves morning staff comes on board. There was this one young kid. About 21 or so that was on dutty that morning. The F*****G bastard almost killed me. One of the meds they were adminestering needed to be diluted with some of the liquid from the IV because it was too strong. This kid put half a seringe straight to my vains. I had a negative reaction to it and started vomitting and coughin profusely. And I could not breath for a good minute or two. When the head nurse noticed this she came running and asked what happened. She yelled at him on the spot and called him stupid and explained how the med needed to be administered. A few hours later my doc came by. I told him of the incident and said if he would have administered the whole seringe I could have died. The kid was sent home and was suspended from work for two weeks. I kinda felt bad but then again the bastard could have killed me.

Throughout the 31st I showed really great progress. The liquid in my lungs was coming out and my stomach was not hard as a rock anymore. And the infection seemed to be going down. I had hopes of getting out the 31st as I had VIP tickets to a rave in Cabarete. But, what I had was really bad and I needed to be in observation etc. And even if I got out I would not be able to go anywhere. I was taken out of the ICU on the 1st. Boy what a way to spend new years eve. It was the nurse, a 16 year old boy with dengue, a lady with bronchitis and me. I spent new years eve watching movies on my portalble DVD player. The nurse joined me from time to time.

I was dismissed from the hospital on the 2nd in the morning and went home to get better. The following day I had a follow up with my doc and to get the results for a very vital test. They did not perform this test in Santiago as I was told by him and he needed to send it to Santo Domingo and we would get the results on the 3rd. They drew the blood for this test on the 29th. The result came back and it was positive. Whatever food I ate on the 25th developed leptospirosis in my body. This was the suspicion the doctor had and treated me as if I had this. HE was right and I thank him for that. I was put on antiboitics after I left the hospital and the treatment lasted until yesterday. I have a feeling that it was the fish I ate in Sosua that caused all this. So does my doc.

I got back to the US on the 7th and on the 8th I went to my doctor here in NY. I explained to him with great detail what had happened to me in the DR. Showed him the meds I was administered in the hospital, the x-rays, ALL. He drew blood and sent them to a lab. I went back on wednesday the 10th to get the results and all is OK. I am 100% healthy. And I am alive for SOME reason. What that reason might be??? I don't know:ermm:

The following days after my dismisal from the hospital were spent at home recovering. Only EXCITING thing I did after that was go to la linea to eat chivo asado (I asked my doc if I could do this first of course).

One very important thing I would like to say to you all is the following. I'm not sure if you all know this but...

If you get sick outside the US bring back all your medical bills and a reference letter from the doctor who treated you and your insurance company should fully reimburse you as you used a "outside of network" doctor. I filed my claim and I am waiting for the check in the mail. Aetna said they will fully reimburse me.

I feel I left some things out. If there are any wholes or questions please let me know.

How did I do for my first trip report??? :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
THANK GOD YOU ARE STILL WITH US. Wow that most have been really scary for you and your family.
So you are questioning why are you still here and is it for a special reason, most probably, that's for you to look into, and since you asked that question I'm sure you'll find the channels to find the answer. Keep taking care of yourself, I don't stress enough the great benefits of drinking fresh vegetable juices or eating lots of raw vegetables to cleanse the bloodstream.

YIKES -
How do people and animals get leptospirosis?

The bacteria are spread through the urine of infected animals, which can get into water or soil and can survive there for weeks to months. Humans and animals can become infected through contact with this contaminated urine (or other body fluids, except saliva), water, or soil. The bacteria can enter the body through skin or mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth), especially if the skin is broken from a cut or scratch. Drinking contaminated water can also cause infection. Infected wild and domestic animals may continue to excrete the bacteria into the environment continuously or every once in a while for a few months up to several years.

YIKES -

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Wow!!!

I am glad you made it thru this. It's a reminder about how careful you have to be in a foreign country. I believe a Thread should be created "Sick in the DR" or a sticky created about what to do if you become sick or injured, including costs, insurance, etc.. Your story is a definite eye-opener.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow that really is a shame. I know you were looking for a rest and relaxation but not in a hospital with a near death experience to report on.

I'm glad you pulled through and are still here with us. ;)

Gracias a Dios

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
:eek:

Holy Guacamole!!! Glad you're still here! I have a fear of getting really sick in the DR.

What kind of fish did you eat on the 25th? Reef fish? I knew a gal who ate barracuda in FL and got similarly sick like you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Where did you eat the fish on the beach in Sosua? I am sure that some of us that live here would like to know.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Wow...............a scary situation and a close call. The silver lining is that apparently you were the only person in your party who got sick.

cozmikgirl

Jan 4, 2007
i have a question, a friend of mines son (3 years) has been having diarrhea almost everyday except for 2 or 3 regular bms since they returned from the DR on Dec 29. Should she take him to the doctor? He doesn't have any other symptoms..ie fever or anything like that

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
i have a question, a friend of mines son (3 years) has been having diarrhea almost everyday except for 2 or 3 regular bms since they returned from the DR on Dec 29. Should she take him to the doctor? He doesn't have any other symptoms..ie fever or anything like that

I would take him to a doctor if it was my son btw were you in a AI

cozmikgirl

Jan 4, 2007
yes...but i think if he did get something it was from the pizza he ate at the airport..because he was fine the rest of the time

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
MAR - My doc suspects that fish came in contact with rat/mice urine or fieces. But what puzzles him is that the bacteria should have died when they friend the fish. Unless it was fried, sitting there and was heated up which I don't think is the case because they cook the food out in the open for people to see and I've never seen a microwave there.

Cobraboy - Not sure what kind of fish it was. I didn't ask. It was breaded and then fried. Like fish fillet in a way. This was the first time I ordered this. The other times I ate there I always ordered a whole fish. Either one pound or 2 pound red snapper or mero (how do you say mero in English?).

Sky - I was a bit reluctant at first to post the name of the place but what the heck - it was at Andre's Restaurant on the main beach. Like I said I have eaten there MANY MANY times and never got sick. But, always ordered a whole fish opposed to breaded fish fillet pieces.

Azabache - I indicated that to the doc and he said that perhaps they are immune to it. I've always heard how foreigners are always more vulnurable. I guess this is true.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Glad to hear you're alright. Did you lose any weight.

Hell yes. I was only given liquids during my hospital stay. Lost 10 pounds but put it right back. I started eating normally two days after I got out of the hospital.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
That was some ordeal. Glad you are well again. Question were there any thoughts about this could be my last moment on this earth? Here is to a better next New Years day.:cheeky:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
But Alex if it was ciguatera poisoning I think I read that even if you cook the fish the poison does't die. I ate fish in the DR once in Cofresi, a whole fried fish, sooo delicious but now I don't think I eating anything down there, :(
Ciguatera poisoning is caused by small reef fish eating a dinoflagelate carrying tetradoxidin. The small fish are eaten by bigger ones on the reefs. Some 500 different varieties are affected. Cooking does not destroy the poison. The antidote is Manitol, which is a simple sugar solution given as as injection. This reduces the brain swelling which is the reason for the strange symptoms (including reversal of hot/cold sensations) I became aware of ciguatera several years ago in Costambar when 23 people including the restaurant owner became very ill. Sometimes tourists get it & return home, & their doctor does not realize what the problem is. Tetradoxidin is one of the most poisonous chemicals known. Deep sea fish are not affected & are safe to eat. Reef fish are often poisonous. We do not eat fish at all when in the DR as the results can be devastating. by Canadian Bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Este titulo, talvez..

Perhaps "My Trips To The Bathroom" is a better tittle, hehe.

Man, this reminds me of "La Toma" in San Cristobal, where, after eating something, I got so sick that I thought I was going to die. Shyt, not even Mom Elana's sopitas and care made me feel better.

At least you got better while over there. I was not that lucky.

Anyways, glad you made it.