DR Divorce

RM1

Jan 17, 2007
I got divorced in 1995 using Dominican Republic Agency. I do need to recover lost copy of my divorce decree. :paranoid:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
This seems to be a very common problem.

Do you have a photocopy of the divorce decree? Or of the recording ("pronunciamiento") of the divorce at the Civil Registry? Or of the publication of the divorce in a newspaper? If you have any of the above, it should not be difficult to obtain a certified copy from the appropriate Court. On the other hand, to search for a divorce decree in the Dominican Republic without one of the documents mentioned above or without knowledge of the exact date date, place and jurisdiction is not an easy proposition. The problem is that there are no central records and you have more than a 100 local "oficial?as" or civil registries in the Dominican Republic where divorces are recorded, depending on the court that issued the decree.

RM1

Jan 17, 2007
DR divorce copy

My friends and American wife do search for the copy since weeks. They can't find it since I had to leave USA to reapply for a new visa. I remember to had used an advertisement in The Economist in 1995 from paralegal agency. The divorce took place in Santo Domingo in the second half of 1995. I received one photocopy late 1995 from the legal DR firm by mail in Tampa, FL where I moved from Germany. The "pronunciamiento" was not probably attached to. We can't afford to pay search rates American attorneys empose.