Stuff You ONLY See In The DR!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just when you think you have seen just about everything!
Tuesday when I went to pick up my boys at Tai-Kwon-D0, I saw a man dragging a dead dog, by a rope tied to the dog's feet, to the curb for "Pick-Up"!
When we arrived home a while later, there was a male dog "Having His Way" with the corpse!;) Take about downing a "Cold One"!

Which reminds me of the guy who met his x-wife at a cocktail party. He asked her if she wanted to find a bedroom and do it once more, for "Old Times Sake"????
"Over my dead body!" she said!
"That's Right!",he said......."Let's not change a thing!":cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I can not compete with the Doggy story but an experience I had yesterday rather amused me (should this therefore be in the Clown Bin??). I was in fairly busy traffic coming out of Puerto Plata when a scooter crept past me in the 1/2 meter had I had left between my car & the curb. The driver of the scooter had a cell phone to his left ear riding one handed.

Not funny? Usual?? I agree. What caught my eye is that his passenger (a girl) had her cell phone to her right ear - both were talking animatedly! What I was unable to determine was whether they were speaking to EACH OTHER or to third parties. I was unable to take a photo at the time regrettably because with a Presidente in one hand & Cell phone in the other, I didn't know which to put down!!

Where did all this happen??? RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION!!!!! ~ Grahame.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well, not sure if this the right place for my question, but here it goes:

How do the AMET stop you when they are on foot and you are in a vehicle? I saw a bunch of new police cars, but I still see many on foot - no walkie talkies or anything to summon a few cars if I wanted to be chased. So if he blows he whistle at me, what happens if I ignored it??

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I was unable to take a photo at the time regrettably because with a Presidente in one hand & Cell phone in the other, I didn't know which to put down!!

Grahame - I am shocked!!!!!!!!;)

You should know better - you always put down the cell phone, never the presidente! Gosh, what have you learned in those 14 years down there??:cheeky:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

How do the AMET stop you when they are on foot and you are in a vehicle? I saw a bunch of new police cars, but I still see many on foot - no walkie talkies or anything to summon a few cars if I wanted to be chased. So if he blows he whistle at me, what happens if I ignored it??

Trust me, when they jump in front of your car in mass, you have to stop.
Most have walkie talkies that I have seen.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Just when you think you have seen just about everything!
Tuesday when I went to pick up my boys at Tai-Kwon-D0, I saw a man dragging a dead dog, by a rope tied to the dog's feet, to the curb for "Pick-Up"!
When we arrived home a while later, there was a male dog "Having His Way" with the corpse!;) Take about downing a "Cold One"!

Which reminds me of the guy who met his x-wife at a cocktail party. He asked her if she wanted to find a bedroom and do it once more, for "Old Times Sake"????
"Over my dead body!" she said!
"That's Right!",he said......."Let's not change a thing!":cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Even if the corpse was cold a couple of strokes would warm it right up.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

Like Robert indicated - they ALL have walkie talkies. My cousin's husband is an AMET. They hide the walkie talkie behind their vest and it makes it harder to spot because they were it on their back attached to the belt.

Some of them have a motorcycle near by and they'll get on that and chase you. Some just radio it in with the description of the car and an AMET a few blocks up stops you.

Hope that answers your question.

Back on topic -

I had an experience on my last trip. This guy on a scooter slammed into my SUV rental. His girlfriend's knee was banged up pretty bad. He made a HUGE deal about her knee and got all loud bla bla bla and when I pointed to the damage he cause my rental he simply said "dejemolos asi" lets leave it like that. He knew it was his fault. Meanwhile his GF limped her way back onto the scooter. I took care of the damange my self. It wasn't that bad. Only 1,000 pesos to fix. ONLYYYY in the DR:cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was talking on the cell and driving. I passed by amet who saw me. When I went to the next traffic light. I was surprised by another Amet who stopped me. He said that other amet had called him and gave away the description of my car. I was not talking on the phone at the time but he told me that I was talking before. So this confirmed that they have walkie talkie contact. I really had to talk him out of giving me a ticket.
AZB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the way, if you are in Sosua make sure you stop for the light near the Texaco station heading towards Puerta Plata. They are stopping cars further down and giving tickets out. However if you are going towards Cabarete you don't need to stop.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well, here's my experience:
Last year my friend had a rental with a Dominican Company. The car broke down in an intersection. Had to wait, and wait, and wait. The rental people finally came, but of course, didnt bring another car. We turned the car music on and we all ended up having some Presidentes on the corner. That was the whole day - at least we had some domplin and some drinks. I got home like at 9 PM full and happy!!

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
AZB is my personal AMET eliminator

I just let him drive while I sit back and curse and swear him away from pot holes. Believe me it works.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
occasionally, on the san isidro road, you will see an old man pushing a cow in a wooden trolley.

he's obviously going to sell the cow somewhere.....but the first time i saw it, i couldn't help but look directly into the cow's eyes.

the poor thing was dead of course, butchered into about 20 pieces.
as with the first one i saw, the old man always seems to put the head on top.

of course it could be a dominican distraction technique, instead of flogging a dead cow, he could be stealing trolleys.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The DR is the only country I have been where a stranger will stop you on the street to tell you a shoe string is untied. This has been my experience a number of times during the 21 years I have lived here, and in enough different locations to make me think it is a normal thing. I have had shoe strings that came untied in other countries, but until I noticed it or tripped on the loose string I was not aware a shoe string was untied.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thats Right Ken!

And when you bend over to tie your shoe,......they pick your pocket!:ermm:
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Saw a guy shaving in the street today!:surprised

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
And when you bend over to tie your shoe,......they pick your pocket!:ermm:
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

I don't doubt there are pickpockets who do this. But I never bend over immediately. I look for a place where I can tie my shoe without blocking traffic and away from passerbys.

PS: I also carry my wallet in front pocket, making it much harder to get at--especially when bending over to tie a shoe. I've carried the wallet in a front pocket ever since having my pocket picked on a bus in Venezuela.