El Iluminado de Arroyo Fr?o

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Mfrog,

I merged your thread with this one as Mirador already reported on this.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The little I've been able to coalesce from the German language text of www. filareto. info regarding the life and death of Dr. Heinrich Goldberg, the German medical doctor and philanthropist who settled in Moca in 1929, brings to light many past and current events in the history of the DR, which shed light on the present workings of Dominican society and government. Behind Dr. Goldberg's death can be seen the shadow of professional and political intolerance, which persists until today. The article in DiarioLibre mentions that the then Governor of Moca had asked President Trujillo "what are we going to do with Dr. Goldberg?" Several days later, government officials met with Dr. Goldberg and proposed his expulsion from the country, to which Dr. Goldberg responded "You can do what you want with me, I can't go back to Germany". Dr. Heinrich Goldberg, a jew, came to the Dominican Republic in search of peach and freedom, and found instead the persecution and death he left behind in Germany...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
His ideas fit very well with those groups that despise the IMF, World Bank, G8 etc. etc. Very interesting individual, but historically people trying to live in communes have frictions with the general population. They may be ahead of the rest.

Sep 20, 2003
Dr. Goldberg

Okay, I'm curious. Would someone please post a rough translation of the information about this guy?

Does he have any relatives living in the DR?

What were the sources of friction? It get the impression that he was running somekind of love colony. Too many D.H. Lawerence novels I suppose...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
His ideas fit very well with those groups that despise the IMF, World Bank, G8 etc. etc. Very interesting individual, but historically people trying to live in communes have frictions with the general population. They may be ahead of the rest.

During Filareto's time there was no IMF, World Bank, G8; and his political views seem consonant with post-WWI recession and the social and political turmoil gripping Germany at that time...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Almost 80 years ago a German doctor and jew came to this country to realize his ideas of an anarchist-communist commune. His life ended tragically.

Diario Libre Online

FILARETO KAVERNIDO - Cronolog?a

m'frog

We can romantize all we want about Dr. Goldberg (aka Filareto), however, all we have on him is based on a newbie reporter's assignment by don Adriano (DiarioLibre's editor), and a recent internet page by relatives living in Germany. From a suscint reading of the material, not helped by my poor German, I can only surmise that Dr. Goldberg was aware of having reached a dead end in his philosophical/life-style quest, and that at the end even his mental health was comprimised. It sounds like he was well aware of his predicament, and was expecting his demise, biding time so to speak, for his executioners...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Weird and Unaccepted

Dr. Goldberg certainly was a strange character and an outcast in his homeland. The voice interview (2003) with his daughter (one of the five children of one of G.'s wives) Lotte Fenske describes the communal life (about 50 members) in Berlin:
FILARETO KAVERNIDO - Tondokument (German) and makes one understand that his views collided with society.

m'frog

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dr. Goldberg certainly was a strange character and an outcast in his homeland. The voice interview (2003) with his daughter (one of the five children of one of G.'s wives) Lotte Fenske describes the communal life (about 50 members) in Berlin:
FILARETO KAVERNIDO - Tondokument (German) and makes one understand that his views collided with society.

m'frog

Dr. Heinrich Golderg and se?or Filareto Kavernido are two different personalities, just check the handwriting (signatures) facsmile of the two different persons in www.Filareto.info. From the information at hand, it's obvious that Dr. Heinrich Goldberg, in the process of morphing into Filareto Kavernido, not only lost his personality by also his ideals of communal living. By the time he reached Santo Domingo, after being expelled from Haiti, what was left of his commune fitted into a taxi, and consisted of his wife Mally, a German adept, and 4 children. There is no way to compare the cultural and social milieu of 1920s Berlin with rural Moca. Kavernido settled in Arroyo Fr?o with his ?family?, where he was readily accepted by his campesino neighbors. However, he travelled frequently to the Provincial Capital of Moca, where he had printed and distributed what was considered then subversive material.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
During Filareto's time there was no IMF, World Bank, G8; and his political views seem consonant with post-WWI recession and the social and political turmoil gripping Germany at that time...

Dah, I was referring to the fact that he was an anarchist and a radical much like individuals now days who dislike global organizations, not that those organizations existed then. From the little I have read about him he was an anarchist inspired by the the ideas of the great Nietzsche. Not exactly a conformist with his time.

Consonant with what???? He was off the political spectrum. Why do you think he moved to different countries so much or why he created a commune. He could not fit politically or socially anywhere. The trademark of a true anarchist.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Not quite. Kavernido seemed to have been accepted quite well by his campesino neighbors...

Again you are missing the bigger picture. Maybe he was accepted by a few that he may have helped with his medical knowledge, but his ideas (Nietzsche, Plato, Anarchism...) and the way he lived must have been very foreign to the campesinos of the area not to mention the political and religious realities of the DR at that time.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Again you are missing the bigger picture. Maybe he was accepted by a few that he may have helped with his medical knowledge, but his ideas (Nietzsche, Plato, Anarchism...) and the way he lived must have been very foreign to the campesinos of the area not to mention the political and religious realities of the DR at that time.

I may be missing the big picture of your ideological concerns, however, it is you who seems to be missing the forest for the trees. I an very familiar with rural Dominican culture and society, and can attest to the campesino?s practicality and high level of tolerance. I do not infer from the quoted texts that Kavernido lived any different from his rural Arroyo Fr?o neighbors, or that he came into conflict with any of them. Actually, the text mentions that Kavernido was appreciated and loved for his philanthropic medical service, and after 80 years, his name is still a legend in the region. I repeat, he came into conflict with the metropolis? political establishment, once he started actively proselitizing in the provincial capital of Moca, by publishing leaflets, and publically being outspoken against the Trujillo regime.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I may be missing the big picture of your ideological concerns, however, it is you who seems to be missing the forest for the trees. I an very familiar with rural Dominican culture and society, and can attest to the campesino?s practicality and high level of tolerance. I do not infer from the quoted texts that Kavernido lived any different from his rural Arroyo Fr?o neighbors, or that he came into conflict with any of them. Actually, the text mentions that Kavernido was appreciated and loved for his philanthropic medical service, and after 80 years, his name is still a legend in the region. I repeat, he came into conflict with the metropolis? political establishment, once he started actively proselitizing in the provincial capital of Moca, by publishing leaflets, and publically being outspoken against the Trujillo regime.

Agreed. The article which is also in Spanish leaves open the question if Trujillo was behind the murder. His being outspoken against Trujillo was in accordance to one of Nietzsche's famous quotes: VIVE PELIGROSAMENTE!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i proudly say i have read the article and understood most of it (minovio helped when i had doubts) but i still do not know: why this story pops out now?

it looks like a very interesting piece of dominican history and just show how much of a melting pot DR is, having people with all walks of life coming here to start a new life.

i'd agree with mirador - simple country people have a certain level of tolerance, they must have thought filareto was a bit odd but he helped the community giving medical services in exchange for food and goods and he was appreciated.