One day in Santa Domingo

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I would spend my time in the Zona Colonial. First go to The Complete Guide to Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Tourist Information, Restaurants, Night Life, Hotels, History, Maps, Music, Businesses and so much more. before you arrive, printout the maps; have breakfast on Parque de Colon, tour the Cathedral and give thanks for being in one of the most fascinating countries in the world, and go for it from there. Don't miss Alcazar de Colon and the Patheon to the National Heroes; head down El Conde and go to Parque Independencia; have a great meal in Dumbo's, people watch at Paco's, God, there is so much to do in a day!

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
In addition the the MUSTS Ron mentions, consider Faro de Colon and Tres Ojos. Both close to each other and about a 15 minute (traffic permitting) ride from the Colonial Zone.

If you are headed to Las Americas Airport from SDQ they make good stops along the way (don't miss your plane, though!)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You can also take a short walk to Avenida Mella where Mercado Modello is located. The market is full of tourist trinkets at tourist prices. If feeling adventurous take a square block walk around the market to see the street vendors selling local fare.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Tres Ojos is very pretty! Don't use the guides outside--they rip you off. They wanted to charge me and my sister $25 US for the tour. The guide inside was very cheap, spoke English and was nice to deal with.