African Centered Communities

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
I don't know if there's such a thing in DR, but our family is considering moving there so we're looking. Here in the states we call a community of people, usually African-Americans, who focus on African centered education sometimes home schooling, vegetarian food, ancient african spirituality and communal living, an "African Centered Community." I know there's a Capoeira Community there, but so far I haven't been able to find anything else...
Anybody heard of anything remotely similar in DR?:ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Capoeira

I don't know if there's such a thing in DR, but our family is considering moving there so we're looking. Here in the states we call a community of people, usually African-Americans, who focus on African centered education sometimes home schooling, vegetarian food, ancient african spirituality and communal living, an "African Centered Community." I know there's a Capoeira Community there, but so far I haven't been able to find anything else...
Anybody heard of anything remotely similar in DR?:ermm:

Funny that you mention capoeira, did you know that capoeira, just like our own ga-ga, is inspired by the movement of two roosters (fighting cocks) inside a ring? and the expression 'capoeira' is derived from two Tupi-Guarani words, [CAA] ("down, little") and [PUO?RA] ("grass"), which suggests the clearing in the forest where the mock stylized battle originally were held? Notwithstanding that many historians believe that the indigenous peoples of Brazil played an important role in the development of capoeira, I'm sure capoeira originated in Africa, since there were no chickens, or roosters for that matter, in America before the Conquest. I haven't heard of any capoeira schools in the DR, maybe you can start one?

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
Capoeira

Capoeira originated in Angola, known as the zebra dance. Thru the slave trade it made it's way to Brazil. There it evolved into two different forms Capoeira Angola and Capoeira Regional. There are two branches of the same Regional school in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Grupo Ax? Capoeira - Rep?blica Dominicana

Very interesting factoid about the ga-ga thing. This is my first time hearing about it. Definately sounds related to Capoeira.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Capoeira originated in Angola, known as the zebra dance. ...

zebra dance? you mean the quick, graceful movements of two worriers dancing and twirling in sync is supposed to resemble the frantic kicking of donkies (with stripes of course)? I doubt it! Since the dawn of time, men of war have always delighted in cockfighting...

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
Capoeira

Just chuckling at the donkey visual... My Brazilian ex taught Capoeira for many years and as a student of it I've oft heard of it having originated in Angola, though I've never heard the donkey reference (not to say there might not be truth in it)...

Anyway, I'm happy to know Capoeira is alive and well in the DR. For anyone inclined to try it I would highly recommend it- it's terrific exercise and has an incredibly rich cultural roots. The music and rhythm of it, when done well, is mesmerizing...

imho,
jeanmarie

Last edited:

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
The Tradition of Capoeira Angola

The martial art and ritual combat dance know as Capoeira is one of the primary expressions of an African, specifically Kongo-Angolan, continuum in Brazil. Its origins may go back as far as the 16th century, when slaves from western Central Africa arrived in Salvador and the surrounding Rec?ncavo region. They came in great numbers throughout the 17th centruy, when they formed the majority of slaves in Brazil. Parts of Angola were almost depopulated in the process. Since Angolans were the first of the large African groups in Brazil, they came into contact with the Amerindians and caboclos, people of Portuguese-Amerindian descent. To this day in Brazil, one often finds Angolan and Amerindian elements closely associated, as in the expression caboclos de Aruanda, literally Indians from Luanda, the capital of Angola. In Afro-Brazilian religious contexts, a caboclo is the spirit of a dead Indian, and Aruanda means something like "spiritland."
slave shipMillions of Africans were brought to Brazil as slaves, bringing their culture with them

It is not surprising then that the word capoeira is believed by many to have a possibly Amerindian etymology, although the word may also be of Portuguese or Bantu origin. The slaves brought to Brazil were replacements for indigenous laborers from whom they learned agricultural techniques. A generally accepted theory of the origin of the word capoeira is that it comes from the Tupi Indian ka pu?ra, meaning "secondary growth, the grassy scrubland that sprang up after virgin forest had been cleared for planting." The implication is that such clearings were secluded spaces hidden from the plantation's overseer's eyes where African slaves might freely perform their dances. The word also carries the connotation of escaping to the "bush".

There are many claims regarding the origins of Capoeira. Everybody agrees that the prescence of capoeira in Brazil is directly connected to the importation of African slaves by the Portuguese. Exactly in what form it arrived and how it evolved is the subject of much speculation and debate. There are some historical documents that support one premise. In an old letter by Albano de Neves e Souza, it is stated that "N'golo is capoeira". Albano wrote that N'golo was an acrobatic zebra dance performed by young males of the Mucope people in Angola. N'golo also had a competitive aspect, in that the one chosen as the best dancer was able to chose a bride without having to pay the bride's family a marriage fee. The famous Capoeira Angola master Vincente Pastinha stated that his own teacher, a man from Angola named Benedito, told him that capoeira came from the N'golo dance. However, there are many other theories about capoeira's origins.

Taken from: Capoeira Angola Center of Mestre Jo?o Grande

Like I said...zebra dance! Doesn't sound graceful, but it may just look different than it did when it first began...or maybe we just don't understand the inference. Dunno?!:squareeye

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To those that have not seen Zebras - they are not buros. They are graceful in the same sense that horses are graceful.

OK, back to the topic, Khianti, I have not heard of any African centered community in the DR.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I've not heard of Capoeira in the DR either, but haven't exactly looked. It's an interesting thing to see and I can see how people get mesmerized by it, but after living in Rio for some years, find it monotonous, probably due to a non-appreciation or immersion factor. I can see the martial arts and rhythm of it and is a beautiful thing.....as someone said earlier, you'll find it here, but more predominantly in the Haitian communities in a crude but natural way called ga-ga. My humble opinion is that if you're looking for a W.E.B. DuBoise experience of African pride and roots it is much less, if at all, connected here as it is in other Caribbean nations where they actually find pride in that. ots. Discussed on numerous threads on this site. For some reason, they just don't connect those dots at all, and seem to negate any affiliations with Africanism.......which I find odd, but the way it seems to be.
I'm a cracker from the South, so take that as you may. Your interests are admirable but seems to me the DR is about 25 years away from where you wish it might be. Maybe you could come here and instill some sense roots to them, but it would be an incredibly uphill battle. Trullio, et. al made sure of that. Could go on and on but read some of the more experienced and informative threads here....some actually make sense if you can wade through them with patience. I don't have much anymore. Welcome to DR1.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Well, we do have LARGE African-centered communities !!!

But they don't do it consciensiously... I am talking about the large Haitian comunity here, and they do have a strong African heritage.

They might not be aware of it, however. But it is undeniably the most African you can get on this part of the island.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Squat, not in the sense the the op mentioned. Specifically .. "African centered education sometimes home schooling, vegetarian food, ancient african spirituality and communal living"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The DR has a couple of Capoeira schools. 1 in Santiago and another in Santo Domingo. The group in Santo Domingo meets on Saturday, they have 10-15 players and growing. If you need more information, PM and I will get the contact details of the Mestre that is teaching here.

I played for 5 years, plus 1 year in Brazil and helped introduce Capoeira to the UK back in late eighties, my claim to fame ;) . For those into Capoeira, I trained under Mestre Gato (Regional), one of the founders of Grupo Senzala in Rio.

It's a fantastic art that spans a wide range of ages. Fighting, dance, music, culture, it has it all.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Squat, not in the sense the the op mentioned. Specifically .. "African centered education sometimes home schooling, vegetarian food, ancient african spirituality and communal living"

My mistake, no offense...

By the way, count me in for the vegetarian food ! They had that in Jamaica, they called it "Ital food", it was really great.

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
Thanks so much everybody. I really appreciate the feedback. I have been doing some research...reading and chatting with Dominicans here in the states. Most people agree that Dominicans for the most part do not identify with Africa. When asked if african/black..the reply is "I'm Dominican." There's something to be said about that sense of pride... But, you're right Chris I was hoping for some underground community over there who are African and lovin it! Ok, so that being said, perhaps like Squat mentioned, they exist in a different form. African spiritualism that's innate, but not outwardly stated, so to speak. Ok, so that brings me to a couple of other questions. I "heard" Hatitians are not looked so highly upon in the DR. There was a comparison made to Mexican/El Salvadoreans in the US and Hatians in the DR. Kinda discriminating. How true is this? And what is the attitude of the Hatian people about this? Squat, you're saying there are large Hatian communities in the DR? What's the dynamic, if one could actually answer such an indepth question in a few statements... a question that's more suited to a Doctoral Dissertation! Ok, then on a lighter note... any vegetarian/vegan communites there? Or am I going to have to start all of these things when I get there!? Kidding asside, I've read there's a newly formed and quickly growing 7th Day Adventist Church there. They are vegetarian. Anybody heard anything about this? Seen any health food stores?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Khianti, all your questions are answered on this forum in one or other place. Do some reading and all will be revealed.

Let's not use this thread for yet another Dominican / Haitian discussion please. Do some research, there is lots of info about Haitians on the board, but it is a hot button for many, and can soon degrade into a bun fight.

Two or three health food stores in Santo Domingo, but nothing like you are used to in the US. In fact, I've never come across a 'community' as I believe you mean it, either intentional or otherwise, in the DR. Some people on the board are vegetarians, but there is no innate spirituality around the eating pattern. In short, what you are looking for, does not exist here in the DR, excepting perhaps in the form of some religious outreach groups, that have their own communities around their activies.

Last edited:

remy

May 9, 2003
Hea there!

I have a place in Tambori Santiago and would love to get my dance on. I did some African dance in my younger years and I'm in need of Capoeira dance to get back into exercising. Please me know where I could get into this.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear Khianti,.. "Look Before You Leap!"

If "Your Family" has never visited the DR,and spent some time here , I STRONGLY advise you all do so BEFORE you move here!

The DR is FAR from a "Rainbow Coalition" of races. "Racism" does exist here! Both in the form of "Whites" on "Blacks", and "Black on Black" as well! Color,and physical characteristics,play an important role on your "Place",both socially and economically, in Dominican society! My family here is racially mixed. I see all forms of racism/colorism here on a daily basis. This is not an "Afro-Carribean" Eutopia!
That said,
"Come On Down!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As well as the Seventh Day Adventists, there are some Hare Krishna-type groups here, and they run some of the small vegetarian restaurants like Ananda, Govinda and one in the Zona Oriental (Santo Domingo).

The Taiwanese vegetarian restaurants in the city, Zona Fria and Para Te are also run by members of a vegetarian, teetotal sect from Taiwan.

There are some people in the country who are more focused on their African heritage, usually expressed through music - musicians like Xiomara Fortuna for example, and people associated with the Gag? scene, but I don't know of any communities like the one you're asking about.

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
Ok, Chris. Understood. I will do more research on this site about the Hatian/Dominican thing. Sorry bout that don't wanna start no static! Criss & Chirimoya thanks! Too bad no Afro-Carribean Utopia to found or Ital food for that matter! :disappoin

But, hey as Chirimoya says there are alternative community/spiritual groups there who do live a veggie lifestyle. Nice to know. We are definately planning a preview trip before commiting all of our energy to manifesting it as as a new home. I'll get more aquainted with the music and the gaga scene and see what I can create. Maybe I'll get to have lunch at one of those spots while there.

Remy for the Capoeira check out: Grupo Ax? Capoeira - Rep?blica Dominicana
Glad I brought up something not already discussed in length on this board!:D By the way Capoeira is less like African dance and more like a kind of martial art in my opinion...but by all means explore. You just might love it!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, Khianti, I would go to Cap-Haitien if I were you. Everytime I go there, especially in the surrounding countryside, I am amazed on how "african" it feels. It is not so problematic of a region as can be Port-au-Prince. There you'll find the real vaudou, pretty much like it was when it came out from Benin (Dahom? & other places in West Africa)...

Haitians can cook sometimes much better than dominicans (yes, it was a surprise for me...)

And they have no clue their authentic lifestyle is a pure african thing, so they can't fake it.

Take a trip directly from Fort Lauderdale to Cap-Haitien on a plane, stay at Hotel Mont-Joli, and ask Nicolas or other from the staff about more infos. The hotel is the best there, and Nicolas' father Wallkee (the hotel owner), knows EVERYTHING from the Haitian north coast.