Business Development in DR / contacts ?

Alex_acier

Jan 18, 2007
Dear All,

I am thinking about opening a branch of my company in the D.R. : distribution of steel supplies (beams, tubes, sheets, reinforcing bars, steel roofs, steel fences,...) and building materials.

I am still hesitating between a) launching such a business from scratch and b) buying an existing company (distributor of building materials)

Does anyone know a Merger & Acquisition consulting firm in the Santo Domingo area (i.e. someone who puts together potential sellers and potential buyers) ?

If some of you have been through such a process (buying an existing company in the DR), I would be very interested in getting some feed back.

I live in Europe, but I have spent some time in the DR and I have lived in Latin America... and I am now willing to come back !

Thanks in advance for your help

Alex

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NO M & A people here...that's for sure.
Depending on what you work with, I can point you in a couple of good directions with the major steel works here in the DR....maybe a joint venture??

Send me a PM, if you please.

HB

ruagatto2

Jan 20, 2005
Alex , we have a lady that is part of our group, she specializes in making sure that a foreigner is business legal , Dominican style. If you need to get in touch with her just pm me. thanks.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I will also give a name to HB (if you end up contacting him) on someone that should be able to give you some help in this area.

Suerte!

P.S. Rebar too?

Alex_acier

Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the contacts. It may be helpful !
dms, I also deal with rebars... Thousands of tons every year !
I have seen that METALDOM is big in this area...
Do you also work in this area ?
Cheers,
A.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for the contacts. It may be helpful !
dms, I also deal with rebars... Thousands of tons every year !
I have seen that METALDOM is big in this area...
Do you also work in this area ?
Cheers,
A.

rebars? thousands of tons a year? sounds like you are in the scrap metal business. Unfortunately, you have a lot of competition here. There are over 50 registered companies exporting scrap (and not so scrap...) metal. Recently, the government has imposed sharp restrictions on scrap metal exporting...

Alex_acier

Jan 18, 2007
No, Mirador, I am not in the scraps business... I only distribute first choice finished products. And reinforcing bars and meshes I distribute (amongst other things such as beams, tubes, angles, plates,...) are first choice finished products.
These are some of the products I am thinking of offering to the Dominican Republic construction / renovation companies...
Cheers !

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Hi Alex ...Friend of mine sells from here steal bars all around the caribbean, getting them from the ukraine I think ... pm me if you think something can be done since he has all the clients already.
Regards

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
We use a lot of rebar and other materials....

...so I suppose you would consider us a "buyer".....

Alex_acier

Jan 18, 2007
Collingwood,
No, I am not working with / for Acier d'Haiti. I own my distribution company in France (some export in Europe and in Asia only).

DMS3611,
I am not sure if "you" refers to me and if "us" refers to Dominicans...
Let us assume so...
In such case, I confirm that I am thinking about offering a wide range of steel products to the Dominican construction companies (beams, rebars, meshes,...), the Dominican industry (sheets, tubes, angles, channels,...), the Dominican people (steel roof covers, facades, sun breaker, ceilings,...), etc.
However, I first need to make a deep market study and meet with many people in that business...
I am not restricted to steel produtcs... there are many other building materials that could meet with the DR demand ;)

Cheers