For Bronx2 (the poster) and others - electricity related...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
For the past few years I have been staying with my aunt in El Ingco, Santiago when I visit from NYC. During my last stay (almost a whole month) I noticed that there was no electricity only twice. And when I noticed it came back within minutes. My aunt tells me that in El Ingco they have a junta de vecinos (neighborhood committee) and they all agreed to pay their bills on time yadda yadda yadda. She tells me that during a 24 hour period the longest blackout period they have is prob 2 hours. I believe her. Although I'm on vacation and always up and about I have had days where I remain home the entire day and there is always electricity. And during the night while I sleep the fan has never stopped working because the heat has never woken me up.

Now, I am not complaining about this. It is just STRANGE to me that the barrio next to El Ingco (Ensanche Libertad) experiences blackouts of 4 to 8 hours at a time. I know that barrios are hooked up to different grids etc but can someone with some insight on this provide some clarity? I just find it impossible to believe that they always have electricity and this has been the case for the last 3 years. There has got to be some kind of catch to this!

On a side note. If you are moving to Santiago now you know where there is always electricity :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: