Best Tourist Destination

Feb 15, 2005
After traveling to Costa Rica last year, I realized that the area that most resembles Costa Rica in fauna, mountains, rivers and beaches in the Dominican Republic is the southwest area of Barahona. Nothing in the Dominican republic come even close with it's diversity.

From Barahona to Perdenales, which incidently has in my opinion has the most extraodinary beaches in the Dominican Republic. 10 minutes noth of las Bahia de Las Aguilas is the mountian retreat of Pelempito. The view is considered to be the "Grand Canyon" of the Caribbean and the history of the native Indians escaping into those very mountians will astound you when you look at it's immensity. Just knowing that this mountain range feeds 1/3 of the island natural river and spring water is amazing.

In Barahona, there are no just one but TWO rivers that flow out from the mountians into the ocean. Both have bathing pools that gather these cold waters before reaching their warm Caribbean Ocean destination a few feet away.

All said and told they are 5 or 6 scenic destinations in the area that are unbeatable.

The area is safe to travel by car and the road is one of the best in the country. Many Europeans are starting to discover this previous ignored area as one can sit out in the Malecon and have a meal and socialize for hours.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
BTW I forgot to mention that I have a few videos of our motorcycle jaunts to the area. Here is one of them which is circumnavigating Lago Enriquillo and it's communities. We begin at la Estatua de Enriquillo then to Neyba west to Las Caritas, La Descubierta, Jiman?, crossing there to Haiti, then back to the statue. It was a one day affair and well worth it. We do a 10 day trip every year in June and this was from our last edition of the trip in 2006.

If you have DSL the video will be seen a lot better...
Motorcycler Video - Lake Enriquillo & Communities

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
All said and told they are 5 or 6 scenic destinations in the area that are unbeatable.

Hi Richard,

Can you give me your top 6, the 1st being the absolutely not to be missed? We're going there in two weeks, but since we're only staying in the area for 4 days, we want to know which places to choose.
Bahia de las aguilas n?1?

Greetz,

Katrien

Feb 15, 2005
Hi Katrien,

Absolutely, Bahia De Las Aguilas is number 1. Here's my all-time favorites:

Bahia De Las Aguilas

Pelempito - near Perdenales and La Bahia De Las Aguilas (Check out the Magnetic Hill along the way)
I traveled from Perdenales into Haiti for a 1/2 hour tour, it was amazing.

San Rafael (right on the beach- ask for Diomedes and ask for fish, tostones and rice.)

Paraiso and Los Patos

Lago Enriquillo - go early to see the alligator feeding. It was cool with many many huge but harmless iguanas on the loose . But bring you own food and drink.

If you are going to hang out in the town of Barahona for the evening let me know and I can some friends of mine who are there for the month meet you to hang out.

Richard Alberto

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Good list and I agree with you... All are great places to visit and every time I vsit I keep finding new things. richard in what part did you go to see the alligator feeding in Enriquillo...between La Descubierta & Las Caritas??

Last year we never got a chance to see the crocs but this year they are on the agenda for sure...

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
Richard Alberto,
I'am sorry but you didn't mention playa Quemaito, Saladilla and la Spoza.
San Rafael is not bad in my opinion and los Patos is not good, just because of some places to buy food and drinks, a river doesn't make the beach. Nobody enters the sea because of the waves and they say the sharks. San Rafael the river-pool is full of parasite. A nice beach is safe for children, has trees if possibel close to the see, and for tourists or local people it is possibel to use a mask to see coral and fish.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Richard Alberto,
I'am sorry but you didn't mention playa Quemaito, Saladilla and la Spoza.
San Rafael is not bad in my opinion and los Patos is not good, just because of some places to buy food and drinks, a river doesn't make the beach. Nobody enters the sea because of the waves and they say the sharks. San Rafael the river-pool is full of parasite. A nice beach is safe for children, has trees if possibel close to the see, and for tourists or local people it is possibel to use a mask to see coral and fish.

Playa Quemaito for sure is a nice beach, but Saladilla???? it has been closed for years and I don't really know La Spoza, where is it?

FYI... How can there be parasites in San Rafael when the river flows with such strong current? I have visited San Rafael all my life and have never heard of parasites.

Another place is Bahoruco, this fishing village is off the main highway 10-15 minutes after you leave Barahona, take a detour through Bahoruco and La Cienaga and your eyes will feast on spectacular views, the road is great and it will lead you back to the main highway by just going straight, don't miss this detour, the local kids will get a treat and you will love it.

Please give us an itinerary when you have it ready, I visit Barahona regularly and stay in Bahoruco for days so I'll try to be there when you guys pass by, I have to see the faces of those kids when they see your bikes, I wouldn't miss that for the world.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Playa Quemaito

Hi,

Just a little question in between. Where is playa Quemaito exactly? We really want to stop there when we visit my brother in La Cienaga.
:cheeky: Only 10 days away now :cheeky:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hi,

Just a little question in between. Where is playa Quemaito exactly? We really want to stop there when we visit my brother in La Cienaga.
:cheeky: Only 10 days away now :cheeky:

It's 5 minutes after you leave Barahona in a place called Juan Esteban, you'll see a sign that says "Playa Quemaito", there's a semi-paved road to your left which takes you to the beach, you can see the beach from the main highway.

Curious fact: Playa Quemaito does not have sand but has nice pebbles and it has no waves so it's very safe, even kids can go in and there's no danger. There's a subterranean river that flows into the beach, so if you dig deep enough you'll get fresh water to cool yourself with and remove the saltiness from your body before you leave. You'll notice people digging and cooling themselves on the beachside, don't dig far from the beach because the water is too deep to be found, you have to dig at the beach and you'll find it right away, you can even feel the cool water when you enter the beach because you will feel two temperatures, the cool fresh water that enters the beach and the sea water which is always warmer.

PS: Bring plenty of sun protection.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's very near to the hotel we stayed at last weekend, Casa Blanca, in Juan Esteban.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Thanks a lot for the info! We 'll definitely go there for a lazy afternoon.
Greetz,

Katrien

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Use Caution at Playa Quemaito

Playa Quemaito is as everyone describes but there is a need for caution.

If you go for a walk down the beach to the South and get as far as where the beach curves back out to the sea you will find a STRONG RIP TIDE along this beach area. It is how the local fishermen " shoot out the gap in the old coral reef. It is best that CHILDREN not enter the water this far down the beach.

All other parts of Quemaito are protected by the reef and even though dead from the fresh water insource it is a fantasic snorkeling site. I have seen a Brain Coral right off the beach that is at least 7 ft tall.

Enjoy your visit to the Larimar Coast.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
That's very near to the hotel we stayed at last weekend, Casa Blanca, in Juan Esteban.

I didn't know there was a hotel called Casa Blanca in Juan Esteban, there's Pontevedra (highly recommended, 2,300 pesos double room including breakfast and dinner) and Casa Bonita in Bahoruco. How is this hotel Casa Blanca and what is the price range?

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
Hi, I just came back from the Barahona zone and react to former reply's. Saladilla was closed for a few years by poltur, they told for ladrones, thiefs. In fact they sell a huge lot and the owner didn't want people on his lot. At the moment it is open and beautiful. Casa Blanca is the same road like hotel Quemaito, she put also a sign to the road now.
And KFrancis is complety correct never swim or let swim children after the fisherman's boats, STRONG RIP TIDE.
Playa La Spoza take the road down to hotel Quemaito and park your car there, few minutes walk and you have 3 small nice beaches with palmtrees and good snorkeling, but again be aware of the STRONG RIP TIDE.
San Rafael, I'am not sure about the parasites in the pool because I don't have a prove, maybe I was wrong, but I never enter in this water.
Playa Quemaito don't have a big sign just a small one which shows Quemaito, if you drive to fast you will pass without seeing, in the weekends the bar is open en they rent sunbeds. If there is not too much sea-breeze it is very good for snorkeling, the same for Saladilla and La Spoza.