diving industry

pace1

Jan 14, 2007
i am a divemaster and looking to do my idc in the DR ,was wondering if anyone could tell me how likley i would be to find a job as an instructor on completion of this? Also any other info would be grateful ; ie what the wages are like , recomended dive centres , where the best diving is in DR etc...

sorry to sound so naive but any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks Phil

Khianti

Jan 18, 2007
Sounded interesting Phil. No answer to your quest just wondering what a divemaster does....

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Try doing a search on "North Coast Diving" pr "Nothern Coast Diving" in the DR1 archives pace1. The chances of doing your certificate here are quite good as I recall, but getting a good salary afterwards might be harder to achieve as there are lots of good Dominican divers around!!

Good Luck & Welcome to DR1!! ~ Grahame.

pace1

Jan 14, 2007
thanks grahame
i did realise the money wouldnt be that good , it aint anywhere but was just trying to guage some comparison. luckily the lifestyle makes up for the lack of money in the game. lol

thanks for your info
Phil

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
lol its ok i could do with losing a few pounds anyway! haha

True for most of us I would think. pace, best would be to bring some money and spend some time in the DR. Get certified and use the time to get to know the diving schools (Sosua is a good place to start), and find out if there is anything for you to do. There are a few divemasters here, and most of the ones that I know, are not dive 'mastering'. Get to know the people involved and do some networking. I would say that is your best bet.

Last edited:

pace1

Jan 14, 2007
nice one chris cheers mate!
we have some money saved and just like to move around different places diving and if we get a little work on the way its an added bonus.

thanks for your advice Phil

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Best diving is around Bayahibe, but lots of places do excursions to there eg Neptuno Dive in Juan Dolio goes there twice a week. If you are prepared to work for free shouldn't be too hard to do your IDC and IE here. Divemaster wages are not good around 300 US a month. As an instructorexpect to earn around US$1000 a month - possibly more in high season. Not too hard to get job as long as you speak more thanone language. Most important for diving are English and German. Good luck. For list of dive schools check out the PADI website

Matilda