Look what I found - it has got to be a first

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
AA A300 @ PUJ

Now that has got to be a first. According to aviation enthusiasts and fanatics the A300 is AA's work horse in the Caribbean. Heavily used because of its capacity to carry a tremendous amount of cargo. PUJ is a passenger route not a cargo route like STI and SDQ are.

I wonder what it was doing there take a look...

MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
well i'm not sure about PUJ but i always take an A300 to Costa Rica from Miami. it carries a lot more people.
it is certainly feasible that with PUJ being a sort of hot spot, AA has incorporated an A300 into the passenger route.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
The way I've read and heard people speak AA uses the A300 on destinations that have a HUGE cargo load. Like STI and SDQ. I've even heard that AA can send the A300 to STI and SDQ WITHOUT passengers and STILL make a profit just off the cargo.

So I was pointing at that why would they use the A300 to PUJ if it is not a cargo destination. I guess what Kyle and Badpiece are saying is right - the cargo is MORE people going to AIs.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Because operational cost on this route will be cheaper with A300. This route requieres many seats on certian dates, so A300 is the best solution for economic performance!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
but el tigre you could be still right. maybe they were making a cargo stop bringing in more sankies for Punta Cana...:)

Sep 19, 2005
hey Alex, speaking of cargo, I saw something while in the DR this past wed that might shed some light. while we went past the Cibao airport around noon we saw two big flat bed trailers coming from the south on route 1 turn , and head to the airport. Both were carrying the cargo or luggage comtainers with Huge AA logos on them...I told my Gf that maybe they changed some flight plans and those were full of laggage from a flight that was supposed to leave from SD but instead was rebooked to STI...and that they probably bussed the passengers. It could have been feasable, because maybe there might have been an issue at the airport in SDQ...but now maybe it is just cargo like you guys have mentioned....because every time i fly into STI it is on an AA A300 it seems.

bob

Sep 19, 2005
well they have new ones and old ones...the old ones have seats i dont like...i cant lean back with out getting a neck ache... the new ones have nice padding up high on the back of the seat , plus they have flat sceen TVs...thats one way to tell

they could make life easier putting a screen on the side of the lavatories

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
well they have new ones and old ones...

Don't be fooled Bob. They are all OLD. AA put some of them through C checks and they are refurbushing the seats and the interior. Thus, when you get on one that has been through the C check you think it's new but it's not. Their A300s have been in service since 1988.

They got a sweet deal on this airplane from Airbus. They leased 35, have 34 reamining (the one missing was AA587 that crashed in Queens). Their lease was due to expire in 2008 but they extended it another two years.

I got all this info from AIRLINERS.NET - Fly The Net! Anyone Can Surf.