Taxes, Customs, and Fees. Oh My!

T

thomas

I just purchased a house in the Puerto Plata area and plan to relocate by summer. I wish to continue my work, some recording and computer programming from there but I need to know about setting up the computers I need.

Does anyone have any experience bringing computers or printers through customs? How much would I expect to pay and how long would it take? Would it be easier/cheaper/better to just try buy equipment locally and start all over?

I normally buy all my stuff wholesale here in the states. Any wholesale computer parts places around in the DR if I do try to build my network from scratch?

Thanks much! I can't wait to get 'home' again. ::smile::

D

DR1

If you do not think you will need any local computer support, go ahead and bring in your own computer. Make sure the guarantee is valid overseas, or list your address as USA. Taxes are very low (I understand it is 1.5%, but you still have to pay the ITBI 8% tax), but if you get wholesale prices, you should still pay less than buying locally.

If you decide to buy locally, first ask your Puerto Plata friends who they get their computers from. If this is not possible, look into shopping in Santiago, a city that will be your support center, as it is one hour a way. (Note you may drive in for weekly shopping at the Nacional or Pola lage supermarkets).

Two large computer operations that have branches in Santiago are:

Dato Centro is there (copaq, unisys, microsoft, oracle, etc.) Tel. 809 562-2188 GBM (IBM, Lotus, etc.) Tel. 809 566-5161

Note you should bring in a surge protector (at least 350 joules) as these are not easily available here. You will need also need a UPS. And an Inverter (Trace). I suggest you purchase the Trace locally so they can assist you in installing it. If they do not install, they will suggest who can do this. Also, the guarantee will be valid, not so if you import your inverter.

You also should look into getting as soon as possible insurance to cover computer equipment damage -- Todo Riesgo Ordenadores. This will be extra to your normal house insurance. It costs very little and is essential. (Contact Ing Tommy Pereyra, who works at Franco Acra, a local insurance broker, and is a DR1 reader -- email f.acra@codetel.net.do You can tell him we sent you to him.)

R

rob

I BROUGHT MY BROUTHER-IN-LAW A COMPUTER LAST YEAR AND THE TAX AT THE AIRPORT WAS 500.00. THIS WAS A LOT MORE THAN 1.5%. THE CUSTOMS PUTS WHATEVER THET WANT FOR DUTY. THEY RECENTLY VALUED MY 26 YEAR OLD BOAT 12 YEAR OLD TRUCK AND MY HOUSEHOLD BELONGINGS AT 25,000.00 US DOLLARS. SO BE CAREFULL GET A CUSTOMS HOUSE BROKER HERE BEFORE YOU SHIP ANYTHING. THIS MAN MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU HIS NAME IS MARTIN SOSA # 809-320-8827 HE SPEAKS ENGLISH TELL HIM ROBERT SKAATES GAVE YOU HIS NUMBER.

B

Brenda

hello I think buying a computer there is a good way to go. You will save yourself the costs of taxes,customs, and fees plus shipping. I bought a computer in the country and the prices are comparable to the USA. Just about any name brand you can think of is available plus many good Dominican manufactuer's. I stuck it lucky and hit a sales convention in Santo Domingo last year. Perhaps you can check and see if there is another convention this year. The one I went to was held at the Dominican Fiesta in Santo Domingo. This is where many conventions are held in the city.

N

Nicolette

CompuExpo 2000

Compu Expo 2000 will be held form October 24-29 in Hotel Dominican Fiesta in Santo Domingo. Organiser: Frank Vald?z, tel: 567-1565