ultimate living question

cruzan

May 3, 2006
Ok. Everyone has been great in answering previous questions. Now I have the question that has been bothering me for years and now has to be answered. If I were to move to the DR, where is the best area as far as: electricity,water,SAFETY,proximity to an airport. I'm ready for all you people to brag up your areas...SOSUA,CABRERA,PUNTA CANA,OR LA SAMANA. I realize that they area different in lots of ways.Each unique in its own way. What I am after is the question...Why would you live in each area if you were to be part time??????? thanks a bunch

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Count me for Sosua

Ok. Everyone has been great in answering previous questions. Now I have the question that has been bothering me for years and now has to be answered. If I were to move to the DR, where is the best area as far as: electricity,water,SAFETY,proximity to an airport. I'm ready for all you people to brag up your areas...SOSUA,CABRERA,PUNTA CANA,OR LA SAMANA. I realize that they area different in lots of ways.Each unique in its own way. What I am after is the question...Why would you live in each area if you were to be part time??????? thanks a bunch

Sosua for me has it all, great beach, relatively safe, close to an international airport and if you want to be a little 'hip' Cabarete is just a stones throw away.

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Sea Horse Ranch

Highest security, full-time electricity, ten minutes to POP airport, ten minutes to Cabarete beach, less to Sosua beach. Plenty of restaurants and cultural happenings in the vicinity. Lots of interesting people in the area. My vote is SHR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Why would you live in each area if you were to be part time??????? thanks a bunch

I'm very happy in the area I've chosen to live but I'm 'full-time'. Speaking purely personally I don't think I would want to live anywhere here part-time; too many in absentia potential hassles and I prefer to be on top of damage control. The only places which reduce those hassles sufficiently (well managed secure gated communities) would not be places where I would choose to live because my immediate neighbours would probably be other foreigners and not Dominicans and if I had wanted to live amongst foreigners I could have stayed where I came from. :laugh:

I appreciate that maybe this isn't what you wanted to hear but you asked a valid question so you get an honest answer. :) Purely my personal opinion, however.

ustilagor

May 30, 2004
Seems a bit pricey

Highest security, full-time electricity, ten minutes to POP airport, ten minutes to Cabarete beach, less to Sosua beach. Plenty of restaurants and cultural happenings in the vicinity. Lots of interesting people in the area. My vote is SHR.

I looked up SHR in the Living Section. Looks very nice and very upscale also looks very very expensive. Any areas anyone would recommend that are not quite so expensive.

cruzan

May 3, 2006
Really appreciate the answers I getting. Please keep posting. Funny, only the Sosua area is postiing. Is there only people from that area on this web site??? I totally agree with SHR. Beautiful place and very secure. Only problem is the $$$$. Come on all you from the other areas. How about Cabrera? Anyone want to chip in???? Thank you very much and I really need the responses....THANK YOU.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If you want to be around thousands of tourists and just as many hookers sosua is the place for you, There are many more options depending on what you want?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Living Location

Cruzan
I don't live in the DR but have a place in Cabarete on the north coast. I just thought I should mention that the recommendation regarding the Sea Horse Ranch might have been from the heart but is quite unrealistic unless you're rich. The smallest place starts at half a million US$. One thing about the north coast is that it is way more hurricane friendly. It's the south side that has to worry about that more.
Good luck1
Steve

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Not had a hurricane in the South since George in 98. A small tropical storm 2 years ago and that is it! Advantage of the south is it is close to Santo Domingo Airport, and the capital itself (especialy if you have to make several trips to get your cedula or need good medical treatment if you get shot). Beaches in Juan Dolio are now amazing. Good electric and water, calm Carribean sea, good diving, less tourists, and lots of secure apartments being built for part timers. Mind you I've never been to the North so can't compare.

matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen SHR and it looks nice, pricy but safe...
personally i'd go for a less touristy place. there is more gated communities at smaller prices. even POP...
(here, i said it POP is not baaaad)

hookers in sosua - i was impressed today!

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
paradise found

Really appreciate the answers I getting. Please keep posting. Funny, only the Sosua area is postiing. Is there only people from that area on this web site??? I totally agree with SHR. Beautiful place and very secure. Only problem is the $$$$. Come on all you from the other areas. How about Cabrera? Anyone want to chip in???? Thank you very much and I really need the responses....THANK YOU.
check out juan dolio.its mellow on the beach 45mins max drive to the city )clean by dr standards)well policed and very reasonable rents,good bars places to eat etc,there you have it!a view beond the pale of sosua and cabarete.:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obviously, the best place is Santiago de los Caballeros. Why? Cause that's where I live.!!!

Seriously... I am between beaches and mountains. I am safe. I have intellectural stimulation galore. I do not have to put up with riff-raff...

I can be isolated or very public.

I have all of the public services-water, telephone, electricity in good measure, and with our setup I do no know when the lights go out...

So life is good,,,,

Not perfect, but good.

HB

ustilagor

May 30, 2004
Sounds nice

Obviously, the best place is Santiago de los Caballeros. Why? Cause that's where I live.!!!

Seriously... I am between beaches and mountains. I am safe. I have intellectural stimulation galore. I do not have to put up with riff-raff...

I can be isolated or very public.

I have all of the public services-water, telephone, electricity in good measure, and with our setup I do no know when the lights go out...

So life is good,,,,

Not perfect, but good.

HB

Exactly where is Santiago de los Caballeros. I have a big overview map I look at but couldn't find it on the map I have. What is it close to?

ustilagor

May 30, 2004
duh...me gringo

Exactly where is Santiago de los Caballeros. I have a big overview map I look at but couldn't find it on the map I have. What is it close to?

LOL...I looked up Santiago de los Caballeros AKA just plain ole Santiago....what do you expect from a gringo...LOL

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We checked out the south and the north on our first visits to the island.
Juan Dolio was where we decided to buy.
|Relatively quiet, great beach, close to Santo Domingo (1 hour on major highway) 40 min. max from Las Americas International airport, 10 min. to Boca Chica beach (for a change of pace), 25 min. to San Pedro for everyday shopping, dental care etc.
Couple of good medical clinics just up the street and great restaurants withing a 3 km stretch.
Friendly people and lots of contact with both Dominicans and expats.
Plus the fishing village of Guayacanes is just 2 km away for lots of really fresh fish.
Two golf courses within 5 minutes and great highways to La Romana, Bayahibe,Punta Cana or Santiago, Sosua, etc. so day trips of weekends trips are a breeze!
Prices are a bit higher for property than in the north but as far as I'm concerned you get what you pay for (with due diligence of course!)
Prices are climbing quickly and will continue to do so as the area develops into the 'South Beach' of the Carribean.
Check out Steve G's posts for links to web shots of the area!
BTW- we're part timers having spent winters here (4-6 months) for the past 17 years!!

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Rocky, there are two sides to every coin.
While I'm still alarmed by the escalation of violence in the area, it seems to be endemic to the island as a whole.
Some places are still safer to live than other and I do my best to stay safe by not being a 'target' and being aware of my surroundings at all times (just like I do at home in Canada).
There was a senseless murder just last night on the corner not 200 ft. from our condo but I was safe at home watching the news, not hanging around the corner buying 'hamburgers' from the chimi guy.
There was another murder about ten days ago when a Dominican guy was shot to death in a house not too far from where I live. That one had something to do with jealousy over a female.......
I'd still pick Juan Dolio over Sosua or Cabarete or Costambar to live part time and yes I'd still be here on the island as I am again this year altho' I do know many people who have decided to visit other places this year rather than be here in the DR. I miss their company as they were also long term visitors to the island.