Edenorte Problem in Costa Azul - Please call them if you live here

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For the past 2 days, a major part of Costa Azul in Cabarete has been without electrical service. (Not that the "service" is ever good, but now we have no power). I understand this problem is due to the failure of a transformer here in the development.

I spoke to a representative of the original developer here in Costa Azul. He explained to me that the developer installs the transformers when a project is being built. As soon as Edenorte connects power to that transformer and transmission line system, the transformer and wires becomes the property of Edenorte and Edenorte must maintain it.

All parts of the electrical transmission system are Edenorte's responsibility. I have heard the rumor that Edenorte does not want to replace this transformer. The only thing that will get this fixed is if we all complain to them constantly. If you know other people here, please have them call Edenorte as well and provide your contract/NIC number and COMPLAIN LOUDLY!

Edenorte's number is 809-571-3844

Please post if anyone has further information on this matter on any progress and if the original assumptions of Edenorte's full responsibility are correct.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can tell you from personal experience with Et |Norte that YOU will have to fix it. They will not, and whoever told you this is wrong. All the calls in the world will not help. I do not advocate their position, just reporting the facts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then this will get quite ugly

If the transformer were just mine supplying my residence, I would replace it. In this case the unit services about 40 houses and there is virtually no communication among us. One of my neighbors did visit the Cabarete office and they told them that we don't have to pay for it. I know, I know, we might be waiting for hell to freeze over before it is fixed by Edenorte.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have those problems............

..............all the time in Costambar.........EDENorte saying it's Costambar's problem and vice versa...............

We have had 2 transformers go and from experience you will only get it fixed by finding the "engineer" on duty and giving him between 2,000 and 4,000RD...........which I have done twice myself over the last 8 years at this location ........since we also don't have neighbors that are "in the area" when the problems arise.......... (these are not just "little" problems with the transformer, but where they have been completely "burnt")

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
A couple of years back, in Cabarete, our transformer blew, we complained and waited for two weeks - no success. We finally got together and bought our own in Santiago. We all chipped in a few thousand pesos each and bought it outright. Edenorte was "kind" enough to install it after bagging at them for another week. Edenorte is entirely useless. Cabarete is chronically short of electricity all the time!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are ways

to work with Edenorte. They have internal policies that say they have to respond within a certain period of time. In our neighborhood, they have replaced a faulty transformer a few times now.

Call Edenorte and report the problem. Get a work ticket number or numero de trabajo. Call them again after 6 hours and quote your number - as when they will be out to repair. I'm not sure of the timing, but internal policy says they have to give attention to it within a certain period of time, say 24 hours or so. They will come out to repair the transformer if you keep calling, keep telling them how long it has been since you received your number. No number, no complaint registered. After 24 hours, go into the office and ask to speak to a manager. Complain on the basis of having received your number x hours ago. They do understand the number business and they do now that if a complaint is not seen to within the time period allowed, trouble follows.

Be patient, be reasonable, speak Spanish and quote that darn number and how many hours it has been.

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Scarface them!

to work with Edenorte. They have internal policies that say they have to respond within a certain period of time. In our neighborhood, they have replaced a faulty transformer a few times now.

Call Edenorte and report the problem. Get a work ticket number or numero de trabajo. Call them again after 6 hours and quote your number - as when they will be out to repair. I'm not sure of the timing, but internal policy says they have to give attention to it within a certain period of time, say 24 hours or so. They will come out to repair the transformer if you keep calling, keep telling them how long it has been since you received your number. No number, no complaint registered. After 24 hours, go into the office and ask to speak to a manager. Complain on the basis of having received your number x hours ago. They do understand the number business and they do now that if a complaint is not seen to within the time period allowed, trouble follows.

Be patient, be reasonable, speak Spanish and quote that darn number and how many hours it has been.
Goto the office, hold your breath, jump up and down, cry like a litttle baby. If that does not work get your neighbors to pitch in, buy a fire bomb go back to Edenorte, bar the door, take all employees hostage and tell them "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND".

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Goto the office, hold your breath, jump up and down, cry like a litttle baby. If that does not work get your neighbors to pitch in, buy a fire bomb go back to Edenorte, bar the door, take all employees hostage and tell them "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND".

Of course I'm not actually advocating this, good luck

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Does anybody has a clue about the cost of these transformers?
It seems to be for just one street, about 6 houses or so.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
6 Houses?

Hey Werner
Mike with his OP, states that this power outage due to a burned out transformer, is affecting a major chunk of Costa Azul, not just 6 houses. Have you checked into this? Swing by my place and check if Papi is enjoying electricidad that he expects me to pay for. Lol
The electrical scene in the DR is the biggest disappointment of them all. I understand Haiti and the Congo sucking big time when it comes to this but not the DR. Does the outskirts of Santo Domingo have the same shyte? If so, too sad.
Good luck & get the landlord on it ASAP!
Happy kite surfing,
Steve

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
It seems to be only our street, Steve. The streets behind me, including our street, have street power.
Since your not around I am thinking of pulling a cable from your house to mine. ;)

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Go For It!

Werner
You funny man! Hey, if you can make it happen, go for it!
I think I am actually a bit sad that my villa is not affected. That means Ramon will be using all the hydro and want me to pay for it. Do me a favour, steel that line!
I hope this is resolved soon and you have fierce winds to have fun with!

Stay in touch
Steve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It may only affect a small number of houses

When I looked around Costa Azul before, it was probably just the normal power outage time. I think Werner is correct and that the transformer affects only a section of Costa Azul. I stand corrected on that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The power is back on!!

Edenorte came by and fixed the problem, Yeah!!.. It was not a transformer at all, just a wire that needed to be replaced. Interesting how much misinformation can be given on such a small thing. Now we are back to normal and we can stop using our generators. Thanks for all the advice.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
welcome back to the living. Glad you electirc is back and we do not need to bring over candles. Maybe it is time to tap into the Metro's power source. :ermm: They do have one right???????????

Bob K