Internet connection by Cable TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I heard that you can have an internet connection with the cable company in Sosua?
Is-it true?
Does it work well?
How fast is-it?
Is-it better than the connection by the phone company ?

It may be a basic question, but I'll be in Sosua very soon, and I need a good internet connection soon..

Diego

(ps : thank you Rocky for your future answer... :laugh: )

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is something that Lancer is supposed to have shortly. Shortly in this country has many different meanings, none of which will be good for you.

Get Verizon DSL, at least we know it works.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I heard that you can have an internet connection with the cable company in Sosua?
Is-it true?
Does it work well?
How fast is-it?
Is-it better than the connection by the phone company ?

It may be a basic question, but I'll be in Sosua very soon, and I need a good internet connection soon..

Diego

(ps : thank you Rocky for your future answer... :laugh: )
The fellow who comes around collecting, told me months ago, that it was up & running, and that the prices were similar to Verizon's, the advantage being for those who are too far from the main trunk to get any decent speed from Verizon.
He was to come back and give me more details, which he didn't. A few people told me they were going to try it out, and I still have no news from them either, so I'm afraid my answer is a non answer.
I still don't know.
You may have to be the Guinea Pig.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
During a recent meeting with Mr Delancer, he told some friends of mine that in addition to their standard cable service they currently offer high speed internet service (512k) with available integrated VOIP telephone including your own 809 area code and number for incoming calls. Price for the entire package in the neighborhood of US$100 a month. My friends understood that the VOIP phone was a fixed monthly price & had unlimited calling to U.S. & Europe.

He told them that this is operational for 2 months now and they are installing in more customers homes every week. You might want to give them a call.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Could you please tell me what the monthly cost of Verison's Flash internet connection cost per month. No package with a phone , just the internet and an installion fee.

Thanks
ace.

The fellow who comes around collecting, told me months ago, that it was up & running, and that the prices were similar to Verizon's,QUOTE]

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Could you please tell me what the monthly cost of Verison's Flash internet connection cost per month. No package with a phone , just the internet and an installion fee.
As best as I know, you cannot get the internet service without a telephone, and the prices vary according to speed.
You could get a pretty decent DSL line (768) for approx. 1,500 RD/month, (plus tax) phone included, as long as it's not a commercial line.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Windeguy,
Yes, same company covers Sosua & Cabarete. I'd say stop by their office or give them a call to find out if they really are offering the service now as my friends were told.

As for cable going off with the power, I haven't had that problem at the hotels in Cabarete - at least as soon as the generator kicks in & the tv and cable box power back up. So unless they've installed some sort of locally powered device to strengthen the signal to your house, I'd think the cable service would work if you had tv, cable box, or cable modem power.

If you put your cable modem on a UPS or inverter circuit then you'd probably have continuous internet access (?)

As for cable vs DSL, best I've gotten on DSL was a reliable 1.2 megabits download speed. My cable modem currently gives me a minimum of 6megabits & as high as 8 megabits. I can remember downloading less than 1mb per hour & now I can get 1mb downloaded in about 1-1.5 seconds. (these are U.S. speeds)

A

apostropheman

me too, isn't it WONDERFUL!!!

from Canada no less:cheeky::bunny:

my internet connection is about the only thing i'd miss for sure if i moved to the DR tomorrow;)
Windeguy,
If you put your cable modem on a UPS or inverter circuit then you'd probably have continuous internet access (?)

As for cable vs DSL, best I've gotten on DSL was a reliable 1.2 megabits download speed. My cable modem currently gives me a minimum of 6megabits & as high as 8 megabits. I can remember downloading less than 1mb per hour & now I can get 1mb downloaded in about 1-1.5 seconds. (these are U.S. speeds)

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
They can't even get the forward path to work properly. Cable modems and telephones require both a forward and return path. The return path is far more complicated to maintain than the forward.

In other words, don?t hold your breath waiting North American standards as far as cable modems and telephones go.

As for outages, if your cable is out so are your cable modems and telephones.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I have cable internet in Sosua

I have cable internet in La Mulatta I in Sosua. I arranged it with Lancer, the cable company in Charamicos just over a week ago (which is why I'm posting fast and furiously now that I'm connected at home!).

I went there and they came and did it the same afternoon (I already had cable TV with them). Installation is $115 and then it's $35 per month for 256kbps or $51 per month for 512kbps (which I have). The money is collected at the end of each month by the guy coming round to your house (unless you pay it all up front).

It's early days, but I've been using it constantly and I'm very happy with the service and the speed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have cable internet in La Mulatta I in Sosua. I arranged it with Lancer, the cable company in Charamicos just over a week ago (which is why I'm posting fast and furiously now that I'm connected at home!).

I went there and they came and did it the same afternoon (I already had cable TV with them). Installation is $115 and then it's $35 per month for 256kbps or $51 per month for 512kbps (which I have). The money is collected at the end of each month by the guy coming round to your house (unless you pay it all up front).

It's early days, but I've been using it constantly and I'm very happy with the service and the speed.
tThanks for the report, Sharlene.

Status
Not open for further replies.