whale watching suspended?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I hadn't heard anything about this but for Augusto and the association to resort to going on strike is a serious blow to Samana's tourism. I would hope that the Environmental Ministry would resolve this apparent injustice asap.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My sources have told me there are a lot of strange things going on in Samana and that most of the benefits from Samana's current emergence as a resort zone are going to people from outside Samana. Samana people who provided service during the lean years are losing out and new people are being given the right to replace them by the government. I was told there could be a suspension of service if the government persisted in taking permits from the local people and give them to the newcomers. I am glad to hear that the boat owners are fighting and hope the entire community of Samana will get behind the local people who are fighting to keep a share of the pie in local hands.

I'm also told that the government tried to get CEBSE to support its position but that CEBSE said the governement was going too far and that it was supporting the local boat owners.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
good for them! tourism minister is likely got his fingers in this since he's so hot on samana with his property interests there.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Right on to Antonio and the association, and to Kim for her support! I was really looking forward to going out with Kim next month, but I am totally in support of the local boat owners and I hope that all DR1ers will join in supporting the boycott until this matter is resolved. It's an absolute outrage what the Tourism Minister is attempting!

Just a side question: Is it at all possible that the Tourism Minister could be doing this without the President giving him a green light?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Right on to Antonio and the association, and to Kim for her support! I was really looking forward to going out with Kim next month,

Don't change your plans. This will be over soon, I'm sure. Politicians don't like this sort of publicity.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I pray that you're right, Ken. But this is the Dominican Republic, the land of strange politics, and even stranger politicians.

RA40

Jan 23, 2007
We are coming to Samana for the first time for a wedding, would really like to see all sites including some whale watching. Has this issue been resolved yet?

RA40

Jan 23, 2007
We are visting Samana for the first time departing British Columbia tomorrow morning. We would really like to take in all sites including whale watching. Is this resolved yet?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
A poster on another board has reported that this situation has been resolved.

Can any of our Samana based or Sosua based (but Samana connected) posters confirm or deny this? The purported source was a whale watching company.

Gregg

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
whale watching back on!!

Thankfully the dispute has been resolved. I got an e-mail from Kim (Victoria Marine) confirming my reservations and saying all is now well in Samana. Yeh!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Let's have a Brugal for the good guys! My faith has been restored! Well, that may be stretching it a bit. LOL. Thanks to everyone for the info. Now, lets go out with Kim and enjoy the Ballenas!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I was out on the 22nd. A couple of boats were tied up and I wondered why they weren't out. I posted about the whale watching in the 'Living' forum.