Membership of Golf Courses

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Hello Folks,
Im moving to DM in March 2007, and want to join a Golf Club that is friendly with a good social scene. This will determin where i eventually settle.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Supposing that in your "innocence" (not to be confused with something less nice), you meant the Dominican Republic or Dominicana or Quisqueya or the DR, i think you are going to find that golf here is a wonderful pasttime.
From the east to the north, there are some very nice courses. As far as "clubs" per se, that is different. For example, the is Santo Domingo Country Club. the very oldest in the DR. Also very exclusive and very expensive. There is La Romana Country Club. I heard that US$50,000 was the fee, but I do not know the yearly fees, and I cannot guarantee the above figure. Onthe other hand, you can become a member of the Dominican Federation of Golf (like the USGA) and play on many of the courses at reduced fees and one free round at about twenty courses. Play is restriceted to the summer months in some cases but so what? If you live here then there is no problem.

As to where to stay, you'll have to choose between Santiago and Santo Domingo for an active social life. Or the North Shore. Social life relating to golf is only at Santo Domingo C.C. as far as I know. This does not take into account the fact that there are golf torunaments (sometimes two) every weekend of the year, and, of course, there are social scenes related to the tournaments. This year's Juan Marichal is a good example...

If you need more than than, you'll have to pay me.

HB

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Golf Membership (Apology) :))

Apologies for the typo, I did mean DR - My typing skills are pathetic - but it will keep you on your toes. I did giggle at Der Mini Can.

Hillbilly ( are you named after the golf trolly - per chance ?)

Thanks for the info and taking the time to write. I was looking at the Playa Grande GC, but have found out today that it will become exclusive in 2008. In other words only property owners will be able to become members.

I really want to live close to a golf course, but not on a golf complex. I'm in my early forties and have found that its the older community that usually live on these complexes, but maybe i could be wrong ?.

I will keep looking

Kind regards

Lorrayne

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Onthe other hand, you can become a member of the Dominican Federation of Golf (like the USGA) and play on many of the courses at reduced fees and one free round at about twenty courses. Play is restriceted to the summer months in some cases but so what? If you live here then there is no problem.

HB

Good morning Hillbilly. Just renewing my 2007 Fedogolf this week - any idea if they have added any new courses onto the list of "free plays"??? As Hillbilly stated, Fedogolf is a great way to golf the DR for a reasonable price..tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Morning Mr. Whitehead. I shall inquire as to that. Quite possible there are, but with major restrictions.

Dear Lorrayne: Then you going to become a welcome member of Santiago's golf community, or Jarabacoa's golf community.

Not that Puerto Plata is not lovely, it is. But golf along the coast is too expensive for the avid golfer, and your choices are going to be limited--unless you belong to a wealthy strata, then you can join La Romana C.C. or Santo Domingo C.C.(maybe)

The advantages of Santiago are myriad: Very good golf. Nice folks. Easy access to six other courses (POP, Playa Grande,Las Lagunas, Bonao, Jarabacoa and Santo Domingo C.C.) Good golfing public, plus other things to do and see. You should give it a look-see.

Stay in touch..

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There are 12 courses shown on the back of 2007 membership card (same as last year I believe) - additional space for four more (Additional 1, 2, 3 & 4).

Santiago, Barcelo Bavaro, Bonao have NO limitation as to when the free round is played.

Cocotal, Guavaberry, & Metro are April - October
Jarabacoa & Las Lagunas are Monday - Friday (any month)
Punta Blanca is June - September (Saturdays & Sundays!!)
Playa Dorada is May - October
Playa Grande is June - August!

FedoGolf rates at Playa Dorada INCREASE during (Busy????) season of November - March for some reason!!

Renewal of FedoGolf membership appears to have remained the same this year ....... RD $5,000. ~ Grahame.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
The bad news this year are that Casa the Campo most likely will not grant any free round on their 4 Courses nor a discount according to Fedogolf.
Rest as mentioned by Grahame.

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Fedo Golf

Dear Hillbilly,

Thanks again for info. Fedogolf .... what a great way to play other courses, do you have to have residency to join? or can i apply when i come over at the end of Feb ?

It would be a great (and cheap) way for me to play most of the courses, and to see a lot of the country.

Maybe I have to be a member of a club in the DR. ?

I am a member of a club in England and so is my partner, I also represent my County, so competitive golf is a big part of my life.

Anyhow thanks you guys for all the help :))