Riots in Madrid

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Spanish press is reporting riots in a suburb of Madrid with a high immigrant population, Alcorc?n, involving Latin American immigrants, including Dominicans. This article and the comments that follow it suggest there is a considerable amount of racial tension and anti-immigrant feeling.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The BBC report gives the impression that the backlash from local youths wasfocused on Dominicans, even though other nationalities appear to dominate the Latin gangs.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I recently became aware there are a large number of Dominicans working in Madrid. Is this true? If so I guess it would be because of the lack of work in the DR. How much can a Dominican make in Madrid and how much would they bring home? My understanding is they must stay 1-year at place of employment.

Anyone have additional information?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My understanding is that the country of Spain allows people to come in on work visas.

Probably the best way to find out more is to contact a Spanish embassy.

I know someone who went to Madrid last week to work. She obtained a job at a restaurant with the help of an Aunt who is in Madrid. It must be a tough life to leave your family and move to another country to find work. I give her a lot of credit as there are plenty of "other types of jobs" for females in the DR.

I am curious to know if they will make enough to bring money home in a year or do they generally just remain in Madrid.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hmm, according to El Pais today the Spanish government says there are no latin gangs and no xenophobia either....
Lots of Dominicans in Madrid and Barcelona. Not as much as New York of course, but I noticed that when the Dominican press goes looking for the Dominican diaspora vox pop, during elections for instance, they do so both in New York and Madrid/Barcelona. Wasn't there some Spanish government scheme that granted Dominicans working contracts as truck drivers? Most will be relatively low paid work, but I've spoken with educated Dominicans that stated that when considering relocating abroad, they preferred Spain over the US because the language would make it easier to get a job at their level. They preferred the DR most though...