Electrical Goods from the U.K.

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Is it worth shipping my large screen (few years old) TV to the Dominican. I mean will it work on the electric. It will cost around ?200 to ship and it cost me to buy over ?1000 or should i just buy new in DR.

Also are there many furniture shops out there. Selling contemporary style?, and what kind of cost.
example: 3 Seater Leather sofa to buy and ship from the UK ?800.
Is it a good idea to buy in UK or to buy from there.

Any help would be gratefully received

Regards

Lorrayne

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
shipping from U.K. to DR

Could anyone supply recommendations for shipping my personal effects (mainly clothes and books) from the U.K. to the DR? Thanks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
My call would be that it is really not worth while to ship electrical goods from the UK to the DR. For the price of what the goods are worth and the shipping, you probably could buy new here and not have to worry about different electrical connections.

For personal effects, I cannot say how to do it best. Some of our Brit friends will soon pipe up I expect. 5 years ago or so we shipped some products in from the UK and the best we found was a small container - goods were packed UK side, container was locked and loaded somewhere on a ship, and we received it on this side, after customs pilfered their usual 25% or so. We also brought a few LCL's (less than container loads) and used DHL - expensive but very easy.

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Shipping

London777,

Hi, i'm guessing you are from the London area. I have just got a quote from london-baggage.com .

10 T chests ( 51cm x 41cm x 61cm0) clothes, books and household effects

1 Crate to carry large tv

2 smaller crates to carry 2 Desk Tops

306 kg weight in total

Cost ?890

This is airfreight and 2 weeks delivery door to door.

Plus insurance

There are several companies on the net - that will give you fast quotes.

Hope this gives you a rough idea.

Regards Lorrayne

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Lorrayne! Forget the TV, European Tv is on a different system to the DR (& the US etc). Re other electrical stuff, Your wall current is 220volts, ours is 110, so unless your stuff has built-in transformers, forget it! Canadian Bob.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Tv

Some TV's have a built-in switch for changing from "PAL" to "NTSC".
NTSC being the standard on this side of the world.

However, considering the cost of "Customs", it may well be a good idea to sell the TV and buy a new one here. Duty on TV's, I have heard in the past are outrageous.

What size big screen are you talking, perhaps someone can give you a price for one here. TV's here are sometimes designed to work on a varying voltage, such as from 85 volts to 150 volts, which in this country is a big possibility, due to bad electrical service.

So, considering shipping costs and custom duties, probably cheaper to sell TV and buy a new one here.

Don - SantiagoDR

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Thanks for info guys, but just another quick question..... Will my desk top work out there ??

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As said above, power here is 110. However we (also Brits) have a couple of 220 outlets which we built into the house at the time of construction (they run 2 x 110 together & you get 220 ;) ). Some of the air conditioning units here are 220. We didn't bring a container 14 years ago. We brought 2 suitcases each & a dogbox for our dog. That was it! You can easily get furniture here. Now that we know most of the ropes I still would never bring a container in, speaking personally. Too much potential hassle.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lorrayne,
You have the answer from CanadianBob's response. Electrical supply in the DR is 110 voly - all your UK electrical appliances wil be 240 v (unless they are re-chargeable &/or can be switched to 110 volt).

As a norm it is inadvisable to bring UK electrical appliances to the DR, even WITH a Transformer down to 110 vol;t! - Done that & had the problems Thanks!!
Additionally, as the power supply is so erratic here, the tolerances in UK supplied electrical goods will fall below the requirements for here! We HAVE big screen televisions etc here & you can also buy in America (which is 110 volt too) via eBay or personal visit!

Please ANYONE thinking of coming to re-locate here, come visit for a month or two before bringing "Clutter" from your own country. See if it is likely to work here first. UK cloths are normally NOT required here - all mine (less dress suits I never use but could not throw out) were thrown out before coming & have NOT been missed! ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well

it is advisable to have some warm clothes in case you decide to go to uk in the winter (xmas or whatever) but you can buy them here as well.

i had 40kg luggage plus a bag with my comic books i strategically kept on my back. all books had to stay at home (you can borrow some from lambada and bush baby and then linger when it comes to give it back... gosh, if i finally come with the books and the home made cheesecake will they let me borrow any more? :ermm: )

ps smile and double smile at the check-in, i did not have to pay for my extra luggage...

post ps the only electrical goods i took from london were mobile, camera and electric toothbrush, they all work very well. no comparison to tv, of course.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
all books had to stay at home (you can borrow some from lambada and bush baby and then linger when it comes to give it back... gosh, if i finally come with the books and the home made cheesecake will they let me borrow any more? :ermm: )

The answer is yes providing............you don't offer my books to other people whom you don't know :mad: I jest of course but my damage control mode seeks to avoid dependency issues IYKWIM............;)

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Thanks for info guys, but just another quick question..... Will my desk top work out there ??

Most desktops have a switch on the power supply to choose 110v instead of 240v. I would guess you could buy a 110v spike protector in DR or reasonably cheaply on e-bay. (very quick look, something like this THIS ONE ON E-BAY for ?15+p&p) Laptops work fine, so perhaps sell the desktop if it still has resale value and buy a laptop? You can get a decent Acer for about ?350, transfer your desktop's data then sell it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The answer is yes providing............you don't offer my books to other people whom you don't know :mad: I jest of course but my damage control mode seeks to avoid dependency issues IYKWIM............;)

mami, forgive!
me made a joke, e? :ermm:
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
don't train your dogs to attack me, pliz...!