Making Useful Dominican Contacts

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Hola,
This is my first post but I'm a long time lurker. One question I've meant to ask for some time is how you've gone about making useful dominican contacts. It's a frequent theme that someone benefits from having contacts in the police, military, government ... etc. It would seem to be worthwhile to go about building such relationships by design since most of us won't accidently befriend police colonels and high ranking officials by bumping into them in the produce aisle. What sort of contacts have you found useful? What protocols do you follow in making and maintaining useful contacts? TIA.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Get to know people who have useful contacts. I doubt if many who have would spell out a 'how to' manual :) .........sometimes it can happen in the most unexpected ways, be nice to people ( be nice anyway, but frequently you don't know who they are & a little bit of kindness can reap amazing 'rewards'). 'By design' isn't exactly how it happens here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most of people here have contacts that "run in the family". befriending good dominican families may be profitable for you.
lambada's advice to smile and be nice is good, you never know who are you talking to. many of the richest and most influential people i have met here look nothing like you could expect...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
most of people here have contacts that "run in the family". befriending good dominican families may be profitable for you.
Word.

The yang of that is befreinding the "wrong" people can also have an unexpected effect.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Simple

My suggestion is go to the archives of this board. There you will find many postings from braggarts claiming the important people they know, next door neighbor, AMET, police capts, "powerful people in the police force", etc.

Some of these posters have left for greener pastures but there are still enough of these VIPs (aka blowhards) around. Then--PM them for how you might ingratiate yourself for these contacts.

Good luck

john

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
police

do what i did, works like a charm, marry the police colonel's sister,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,but it's true,,,,,,,

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, (like lambada said) always mingle with the respected dominicans first and then you will be invited to their house and family parties, there you will meet the powerful folks of this country. If you date some motoconcho, a hotel security guard, animation worker or simply befriend your maid, you are out of luck. These people know no one.
Some people are simply so interesting in nature that they seem to attract attention of anyone they meet anywhere. You must speak spanish, learn to know the social rules and norms of this country, act decent (not be accompanied by a hooker or a motoconcho) in public places and be entertaining. No one likes a boring person. If you know how to make friends then you won't have any problems making friends anywhere and in any social circle. You must know where you fit. I can make friends with coronals in supermarkets and in bars. yes you can run into a general or a coronal, even a congressman in a grocery store produce aisle. Just be friendly and entertaining. It helps if you are a local chiropractor (of course).
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
First of all, (like lambada said) always mingle with the respected dominicans first and then you will be invited to their house and family parties, there you will meet the powerful folks of this country. If you date some motoconcho, a hotel security guard, animation worker or simply befriend your maid, you are out of luck. These people know no one.
Some people are simply so interesting in nature that they seem to attract attention of anyone they meet anywhere. You must speak spanish, learn to know the social rules and norms of this country, act decent (not be accompanied by a hooker or a motoconcho) in public places and be entertaining. No one likes a boring person. If you know how to make friends then you won't have any problems making friends anywhere and in any social circle. You must know where you fit. I can make friends with coronals in supermarkets and in bars. yes you can run into a general or a coronal, even a congressman in a grocery store produce aisle. Just be friendly and entertaining. It helps if you are a local chiropractor (of course).
AZB
Kind of like--Hands on?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't forget to make what ever you do for a living, sound interesting and ambitious. Higher-ups love to network and they will size you up on the answer you give. They will always ask that question, get your business cards ready.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Easiest way (when not speaking spanish good) is to meet foreigners and ask them to introduce you to their contacts. Have a cocktail party and have your friends invite them.