Blonde to represent DR?

M

Malgosia

I have just read that Miss DR has been selected to represent the country at Miss Universe. Just out of curiousity, does blonde Miss DR really represent typical Dominican girl? I have heard that women in DR, in general, are of darker complection with dark hair and brown eyes. It is like if we would choose dark-skin girl in Poland to represent our country, isn't it?

S

Santiago

I don't really see a problem with a blonde woman representing the DR in a Miss Universe pageant. After all, we Dominicans were quite proud when a black-skinned Dominican-born woman was elected Miss Italy and represented that European country in the Miss Universe pageant just a few years ago. Although most Italian women are not black, this woman had the right as an Italian citizen to participate in the contest. It would, therefore, not make much sense if we as Dominicans now turned around and said that a blonde woman was not suitable to represent the Dominican Republic. We can't have it both ways.

Besides, there are many beautiful white blonde Dominican women, as there are black ones and brown ones and others with Asian features and ancestry. Dominicans come in all colors and it is that diversity that is celebrated! To imply that pageant organizers and judges may have chosen a white blonde woman to represent the country in order to boost the country's chances of winning may or may not have some truth, but certainly if one looks at Miss Universe winners in recent years most are non-white and represent various ethnic groups, for which this may actually reduce Miss DR's chances.

Furthermore, press accounts indicate that the Miss DR winner was the audience's favorite from the start, for which her selection was rather democratic. The DR has enough issues to contend with regarding race and racism. Let's not get carried away by looking for hidden meanings where there perhaps are none.

M

Malgosia

Don't get me wrong, Santiago. I havn't been looking for hidden meanings. As I said, I had heard how typical women look like in DR and I know many Dominicans (and many great looking, both women and men, including my fiance). Apparently, I was expecting to see someone of similar features. That's all. Regards,

A

Abe

Hi,

I agree with Mr. Santiago, she is a Dominican born citizen and she has all the rights other participants had to win. Bear in mind that the DR is largely composed of emigrants from many countries, including Chinese descendants who even participate in the Armed Forces.

I understand Mr. Santiago's feelings when he refers to hidden agendas regarding racism in this country, I am not saying that those were your intentions but, there had being a lot of that in this particular board.

Many people don't know that blacks are just 5% of the Dominican population, 75 % is mulatto and 15% white.

I think that it would be as much exclusionary to deny this person the crown for the color of her skin as if she were black, it's not OK to be a anti-white as it is not right to be anti-black or ant-yellow.

Regards.

N

Natasha

I totally agree with the sentiments expressed here regarding the right of Miss DR to be of any color whatsoever. But it is rather incredible that in the whole history of the pageant I, for one, have never seen a "mulatto" Miss DR; never have I seen a "morenita" or even an "indiesita" get elected.

But let's not pretend these "pageants" are not prejudiced throughtout the world. The notion that for a woman to be considered beautiful she has to have light skin, and straight hair becomes transparent in these travesty of contests. The DR is not the only country like this. India elects their lightest complexted women, and let's not talk about Venezuela (read: surgeries). It was amazing to see the woman representing Venezuela last year, or was it the year before (I don't watch these shows normally) - she was the first Venezuelan "of color" to be elected. In Puerto Rico, they came up with Miss Piel Canela "Miss Cinammon Skin", a totally different contest altogether for brown complexted PRican women. And, do you ever see women with Indian features representing Mexico, Central America or the Andean countries?

Yes, the Miss Universe contest has elected non-caucausian women recently, but that has been since 1977. In 1977, Miss Trinidad & Tobago (a beautiful black woman) won in the DR. And no I don't think for a second that electing black women these days is "in vogue".

Regards, Natasha

S

Santiago

To say that there have never been any black or brown-skinned Miss DRs is not accurate at all. In fact, Miguelina Sanchez is one of the most famous DR beauty queens and not only is she black but she was elected in the 1970s. Since then there have been many others that are tanned or brown skinned.

In terms of blacks being chosen to be Miss Universe, what I was saying was that there have been many "ethnic" or non-white Miss Universe winners. Besides Janelle Penny Commissiong, Miss Trinidad, who was the first black woman to become Miss Universe - chosen in Santo Domingo by the way - just a few years ago another Miss Trinidad - also black - took the crown. But ethnic is not just black. There have been several brown-skinned, Asian and Mediterranean olive-skinned winners.

At the end of the day, it's really not that important. My point was that a whote blonde woman representing the DR should not be such a big deal, just like t shouldn't have been when a black Dominican-born woman was Miss Italy a few years ago.

N

Natasha

Of course ethnic is not just black. I, like the majority of Dominicans, am the product of racial mixing; throw in my father's Lebanese heritage for good luck :), and you have someone very "ethnic" looking.

I don't recall Miguelina Sanchez. Like I said, *I* had never seen a brown skinned Miss DR, even though I am a child of the 70's myself.

At any rate, it is true that this doesn't matter, specially because these pageants are so insignificant, but that's just my humble opinion. By the way, I did know that Miss T & T was chosen in the DR back in 1977 - I mentioned that in my post. However, it doesn't mean that DR judges chose her as the majority of the "judges" of these pageants are Americans. They may have a token judge here and there from that country in order to look good, but that's all.

Like you say, at the end of the day it doesn't matter. It is a travesty that even today in the 21st Century we are still having these contests. And to suggest that these pageants are not prejudiced and color blind is not very accurate.

Natasha

J

JCesar

Political correctness asides...

Does anybody has a link with good photos -close shots- of the se?oritas? (for evaluation purposes).

S

Santiago

That's your opinion and you obviously have the right to it. However, I was pointed out the inaccuracies in your statements as well. There have been black and brown Miss DRs. Do your research and you will find them - that is unless you would like to ignore them in order to prove your point!

N

Natasha

No Santiago, in two years that I've been contributing on this board I've never been on a mission to prove any point. My original statement was that I hadn't seen any brown skinned Miss DR's. You pointed out that there have been. Cool. You don't need to tell me to do any "research" on this. This is waaaaayyyy too insignificant of a subject!!!