Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Probation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Finding 2007 or 2006 SUV Anywhere in DR??!!

Okay, feel free to redirect this but we are reaching the desparation stage. My dh bought a used Hundai jepette last April for $10K USD and it is a piece of cr-p. It's been in the shop more than out. We are now seeking a new 2007 or never used 2006 (not one with the odometer turned back, thank you and have been completely unsuccessful at finding ANYTHING. One will appear and disappear hours later before or after we make the trek to look at it. We've talked to the car brokers and the best we can come up with is a high end Honda CRV that is supposed to be coming to port and will sell for $40K USD. Honestly, we can't afford that. We've had friends buy SUVs off the lots here for $27-30K USD within the past year but that seems to be a thing of the past. Is this an accurate view? Does anyone know anyone who can help us? We live in Juan Dolio and my dh commutes to the zona franca in SPM. We'll drive across the island if we have to, but a family of five not living IN the city needs a somewhat reliable car and not only do we not have the $ to pay $40K but it will take a beating in San Pedro, as does everything else. TIA!!! DrChrisHE

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

If I may...
    You're approaching this all wrong.
    You already bought one piece of crap, and wasted your money, and $27,000 US will just buy you a new POS.
    Lo barato sale caro.
    Considering that new cars/truck/SUV's sell for approx 40% more than in the US, what type of junker can you expect, that's worth less than $20K in the States?
    Buy a decent used one this time, with your $27K, end of story.
    PS: Stay clear of Hyunday, Kia, Daihatsu, Skoda,etc.
    Buy yourself a used Honda or Toyota.
    I'm driving a '99 Lexus, and it's the best car I've ever owned, including brand new.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

To add...

Make sure you carfax the VIN of every vehicle you look at.
    Someone here in the office just spent 3 weeks looking for a late model SUV and 46 out of the 48 vehicles he checked out (CRV's, RAV4's and Vitara's) had carfax reports, either serious crashes and sold as junk at auction or clocks turned back. Some had over 100,000 turned back on their clocks.

http://carfax.com

I'm happy to say he did eventually find a good one, RAV4 with 38,000 miles.
    Carfax gave the full service history from the US, meter readings checked out and the Toyota dealer also gave it a clean bill of health.

For a few pesos, it's worth getting the main dealer check out the car. They know all the faults on the particular models and often can diagnose any issues before you actually hand over your money to whoever is selling the car.

Bottom line...

Don't trust a thing the person or dealer selling the car tells you and do your due diligence
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 01-25-2007 at 01:47 PM.

On Probation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Thanks, but more??S

Robert: Thanks...we aren't looking to spend LESS than 27K...I just don't think $40K USD is necessary; are you saying that it is? We decided that the used car route was ridiculous in terms of the histories (that you just verified.) I'm at the point where we may just bring over our 04 Dodge Dakota pick up. Do you know anything on that? How much will they hit us with on impound? Neither of us are DR citizens but my husband has a job with a DR company as the Director of Customer Care.

I had already decided against those brands but it is good to have you confirm that. I am a big fan of Hondas and Toyotas too. Our Dakota was just a good buy one year out of Enterprise in the US. It's been very good to us but all my others have been Toyotas.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SUV's

Try Esplanade Motors in Moca. I purchased a 2001 Nissan X-Terra for $14,000US about 6 months ago. Make sure to check that the part numbers match, i.e. hood, doors, fenders, engine, etc.

I haggled on the price, and earned the name "cheap American". This is the only time I don't mind being called cheap.

With regular maintenance it will last me for a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harrydr View Post
    Try Esplanade Motors in Moca. I purchased a 2001 Nissan X-Terra for $14,000US about 6 months ago. Make sure to check that the part numbers match, i.e. hood, doors, fenders, engine, etc.

I haggled on the price, and earned the name "cheap American". This is the only time I don't mind being called cheap.

With regular maintenance it will last me for a very long time.
    Is that Esplanade, or Espaillat?

On Probation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep the suggestions coming

Thanks guys...All suggestions of models and dealers are greatly appreciated. The thing that cracks me up is that having grown up in NY, I was always aware of these little tricks that people did to cars, but I've lived away from NY for so long that it's easy to forget people do things like change VINs (I already knew about the odometer thing--our POS Hundai doesn't have a working sped/odometer. 'Just love that ? of "how fast were you going?" Who knows.

Anyone who has particular brokers or car dealers that they trust, please I'll take names and numbers too! TIA!

Hey Rocky...you are friends with JayR? So am I (and so are our goldens). He just moved to Juan Dolio. Next time I'm in Sosua I'll stop in.
    DrChrisHE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrChrisHE View Post

Hey Rocky...you are friends with JayR? So am I (and so are our goldens). He just moved to Juan Dolio. Next time I'm in Sosua I'll stop in.
    DrChrisHE
    The mandel bread man?
    Yuppers.
    We (myself & friends) have purchased well over 100 vehicles from Espaillat in Moca, and always done well, but that's rather far away from where you are.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

do they have a web site or any other web sites to look for vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by champ View Post
    do they have a web site or any other web sites to look for vehicles
    I'm sure they do, and that's where all the garbage gets sold, through websites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast