Finding 2007 or 2006 SUV Anywhere in DR??!!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Okay, feel free to redirect this but we are reaching the desparation stage. My dh bought a used Hundai jepette last April for $10K USD and it is a piece of cr-p. It's been in the shop more than out. We are now seeking a new 2007 or never used 2006 (not one with the odometer turned back, thank you;) and have been completely unsuccessful at finding ANYTHING. One will appear and disappear hours later before or after we make the trek to look at it. We've talked to the car brokers and the best we can come up with is a high end Honda CRV that is supposed to be coming to port and will sell for $40K USD. Honestly, we can't afford that. We've had friends buy SUVs off the lots here for $27-30K USD within the past year but that seems to be a thing of the past. Is this an accurate view? Does anyone know anyone who can help us? We live in Juan Dolio and my dh commutes to the zona franca in SPM. We'll drive across the island if we have to, but a family of five not living IN the city needs a somewhat reliable car and not only do we not have the $ to pay $40K but it will take a beating in San Pedro, as does everything else. TIA!!!:bunny: DrChrisHE:bunny:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I may...
You're approaching this all wrong.
You already bought one piece of crap, and wasted your money, and $27,000 US will just buy you a new POS.
Lo barato sale caro.
Considering that new cars/truck/SUV's sell for approx 40% more than in the US, what type of junker can you expect, that's worth less than $20K in the States?
Buy a decent used one this time, with your $27K, end of story.
PS: Stay clear of Hyunday, Kia, Daihatsu, Skoda,etc.
Buy yourself a used Honda or Toyota.
I'm driving a '99 Lexus, and it's the best car I've ever owned, including brand new.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
To add...

Make sure you carfax the VIN of every vehicle you look at.
Someone here in the office just spent 3 weeks looking for a late model SUV and 46 out of the 48 vehicles he checked out (CRV's, RAV4's and Vitara's) had carfax reports, either serious crashes and sold as junk at auction or clocks turned back. Some had over 100,000 turned back on their clocks.

http://carfax.com

I'm happy to say he did eventually find a good one, RAV4 with 38,000 miles.
Carfax gave the full service history from the US, meter readings checked out and the Toyota dealer also gave it a clean bill of health.

For a few pesos, it's worth getting the main dealer check out the car. They know all the faults on the particular models and often can diagnose any issues before you actually hand over your money to whoever is selling the car.

Bottom line...

Don't trust a thing the person or dealer selling the car tells you and do your due diligence :)

Last edited:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Thanks, but more??S

Robert: Thanks...we aren't looking to spend LESS than 27K...I just don't think $40K USD is necessary; are you saying that it is? We decided that the used car route was ridiculous in terms of the histories (that you just verified.) I'm at the point where we may just bring over our 04 Dodge Dakota pick up. Do you know anything on that? How much will they hit us with on impound? Neither of us are DR citizens but my husband has a job with a DR company as the Director of Customer Care.

I had already decided against those brands but it is good to have you confirm that. I am a big fan of Hondas and Toyotas too. Our Dakota was just a good buy one year out of Enterprise in the US. It's been very good to us but all my others have been Toyotas.

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
SUV's

Try Esplanade Motors in Moca. I purchased a 2001 Nissan X-Terra for $14,000US about 6 months ago. Make sure to check that the part numbers match, i.e. hood, doors, fenders, engine, etc.

I haggled on the price, and earned the name "cheap American". This is the only time I don't mind being called cheap.

With regular maintenance it will last me for a very long time.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try Esplanade Motors in Moca. I purchased a 2001 Nissan X-Terra for $14,000US about 6 months ago. Make sure to check that the part numbers match, i.e. hood, doors, fenders, engine, etc.

I haggled on the price, and earned the name "cheap American". This is the only time I don't mind being called cheap.

With regular maintenance it will last me for a very long time.
Is that Esplanade, or Espaillat?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Keep the suggestions coming

Thanks guys...All suggestions of models and dealers are greatly appreciated. The thing that cracks me up is that having grown up in NY, I was always aware of these little tricks that people did to cars, but I've lived away from NY for so long that it's easy to forget people do things like change VINs (I already knew about the odometer thing--our POS Hundai doesn't have a working sped/odometer. 'Just love that ? of "how fast were you going?" Who knows.

Anyone who has particular brokers or car dealers that they trust, please I'll take names and numbers too! TIA!

Hey Rocky...you are friends with JayR? So am I (and so are our goldens). He just moved to Juan Dolio. Next time I'm in Sosua I'll stop in.
:bunny: DrChrisHE:bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Rocky...you are friends with JayR? So am I (and so are our goldens). He just moved to Juan Dolio. Next time I'm in Sosua I'll stop in.
:bunny: DrChrisHE:bunny:
The mandel bread man?
Yuppers.
We (myself & friends) have purchased well over 100 vehicles from Espaillat in Moca, and always done well, but that's rather far away from where you are.

champ

Dec 2, 2006
i want to purchase new toyota van diesel so they will be reputable new car dealers,,i want to shop and compare dealers,,,web sites for new car dealers in the dr is what i'm looking for,,,,thanks

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
New Car Warranty

i want to purchase new toyota van diesel so they will be reputable new car dealers,,i want to shop and compare dealers,,,web sites for new car dealers in the dr is what i'm looking for,,,,thanks

A couple years or so ago, a friend bought a new Suzuki SUV, believing in the factory warranty. Dealer refused to honor factory warranty when there was a problem.

Buyer Beware!

Don - SantiagoDR

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Well, now THAT New Car Warranty thing just threw a major loop in things. Has anyone out there had their warranty voided like that or anyone had it honored? Given the track record of our truck that is in the US (a very reliable car) I'd rather stick with what we know.

On the Hundai thing...they SEEM to do well for 3-4 yrs and then TOTALLY IMPLODE. We have a friend who swears by them but he sells them when they are two years old--at most three years--and pays someone to turn back the odometer! I could tell you how these cars begin to start to disintegrate (more like siphon $ from your pocket) as we have driven 3 of his (at varying ages) and the complete stage of functionlessness that ours reached was only beginning to show signs (things like the transmission starting to jerk a bit--but not enough to really make you notice UNLESS you had been down that road before). We COULD have purchased one of this guy's used ones but knew better. AND, he is a FRIEND (a close one) so YES, BUYER BEWARE is essential. But then again, I even try the screw tops on salt and pepper shakers HERE.

This sounds like a "hot topic." Is there already a thread in place &/or did I just start the most recent one?

The problem with finding a NEW car NOW is that the new car tax rate went UP by about $3000USD as of Jan 1, 2007 so those in the know bought one before the end of the year. FINDING a car you want to buy--new or not--is definitely a challenge now.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Peynado owns the Toyota import rights, and they sell under the name, Delta Commercial.
I know where it is in Santiago, but not in Santo Domingo, although it should not be hard to find.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Wait if you can. Hyundai??

DR-CAFTA went into effect, or should have, on 1 Jan 2007; as I understand it, the DR Gov't has to reduce all tariffis, etc. on American MVs over a 3 - 4 year period; eeventually completely eleminating them; if you can wait; DR-CAFTA should have a depressing effect on all pre-DR-CAFTA cars in stock.

Hyundia?? I bouhg a 2002 Terracan [small SUV, similar to a RAV4] diesel from a private Dominican party in 2003; from an ad in 'Listin'; it had 5,000 mi. on the odometer; it has a Mitsubishi drive train. 1 of the finest cars I've ever owned! Period. According to "Consumer Reports", the recent Hyundais rival in quality Toyota, Honda & Nissan; @ 60 - 70% of the price! I'd never hesitate to buy a new or near new Hyundai.
My 2 cents worth.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Didn't sombody on here buy a brand new Suzuki Vitara from Santo Domingo Motors for about $27'000.oo the last year. Great little jeepeta... I've seen them in Ecuador doing quite well too.

... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Didn't sombody on here buy a brand new Suzuki Vitara from Santo Domingo Motors for about $27'000.oo the last year. Great little jeepeta... I've seen them in Ecuador doing quite well too.

... J-D.
That's quite possible.
The cheapest 2007 Vitara sells for a bit under $20K in the US, and the general rule is to add on 40%, which would make it almost $28K.
It's not a bad vehicle, although it still doesn't compare to Toyota or Honda, when it comes to finishing, but still decent.
Given the choice of having a good slightly used CRV or the new Vitara, I would still take the Honda.
I think that the problem here is that a lot of people are getting stuck with lemons, when buying used, here in the DR.
We have pretty much circumvented that problem, with the deal we have with Espaillat, that they lend us the vehicle for a day, to test drive and have it checked by a mechanic here in Sosua.
I know this is of little help for the OP, who's way down in the South East, and maybe it is a better bet for them to buy new, rather than used.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was just checking the CRV's retail price in the US, and it's just a tiny bit higher than the Vitara.
I wonder how much it sells for here in the DR.
I did hear something about the prices for new vehicles rising substantially as of Jan 1, '07.
If I have a chance, I'll find out some new SUV prices later on today.

B

batich

Okay, feel free to redirect this but we are reaching the desparation stage. My dh bought a used Hundai jepette last April for $10K USD and it is a piece of cr-p. It's been in the shop more than out. We are now seeking a new 2007 or never used 2006 (not one with the odometer turned back, thank you;) and have been completely unsuccessful at finding ANYTHING. One will appear and disappear hours later before or after we make the trek to look at it. We've talked to the car brokers and the best we can come up with is a high end Honda CRV that is supposed to be coming to port and will sell for $40K USD. Honestly, we can't afford that. We've had friends buy SUVs off the lots here for $27-30K USD within the past year but that seems to be a thing of the past. Is this an accurate view? Does anyone know anyone who can help us? We live in Juan Dolio and my dh commutes to the zona franca in SPM. We'll drive across the island if we have to, but a family of five not living IN the city needs a somewhat reliable car and not only do we not have the $ to pay $40K but it will take a beating in San Pedro, as does everything else. TIA!!!:bunny: DrChrisHE:bunny:

I can buy one for you in NY at a wholesale closed auction for dealers only. I have licence. It will have guaranteed mileage and accident-free history. And in total will cost several Gs less then if purchased in DR.
Most of the cars are off-lease or trade-ins.
It is possible to find a vehicle to any price range.
Shipping to DR takes about three weeks.

I shipped several cars to Sosua before. If interested - let me know.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I've just investigated Rocky's suggestion:
US MSRP for

Suzuki Gran Vitara range from USD 19'379.oo to USD 24'799.oo with a 185Hp Diesel engine.

Honda CRV range from USD USD 20'600.oo to USD 26'000.oo with Diesel engines.

As Rocky mentioned the difference is minimal.
Honda has an excellent reputation in the US whereas Suzuki is the lesser known in the US for automobiles.
As I mentioned Suzuki had a good market share and reputation in Ecuador 10 years ago and the streets were rough there.
I personally like the looks and apparent bigger size/space of the Vitara better.

The question #1 really is... is there an "official" Honda dealer in the DR and if so what are their prices for a CRV (?).

Something else maybe to discuss (it's by far not a suggestion yet): I've seen a Chinese brand of automobiles marketed in the DR as "Winner" in SDQ... Their "Jeepeta" (how'd'ya say "jeepeta" in Mandarin? ;) ... aparently it's something like "hyk" ) goes for about USD 24K (yes, in SDQ). They offered a 3 year/100'000km (60'000mls) warranty. For whatever reason, I can't find anything relevant about a "Winner" brand on the net... The big question mark with very exotic deals like these is, are you going to get parts for it? Btw, the engine is... Suzuki (Diesel), if my memory serves me well.

52284_68939.jpg

Here a model "hyk6490" currently offered on the net in SDQ, asking USD23'900.oo

... J-D.