Bringing In a USED US car??Costs/bribes/etc.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
In order to make an informed decision on the car issue (I have another thread below on new DR cars), I'd like to know how much it costs in import/bribe/etc. fees to get a used (2004 Dodge Dakota ext cab) into the DR. It's currently in FL and we can get it to port and I'm waiting for bids on the container issue but I need to know the process and how much it would cost us to bring that truck here? Anyone done this recently? Neither my dh nor I are DR citizens but he is here legally working.
TIA for any and all help! BTW, any ?s on public health matters, feel free to ask away.:bunny: DrChrisHE:bunny:

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I know someone who imported a truck and before it cleared customs the radio, side view mirrors and air filter were stolen.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Thanks...I think;) So, now I'm REALLY confused. How much did it cost you to get your truck here and did it get right to the port? I know the rule about having owned it for 1 year but less than 5 but we'd have to pay off our truck before putting it on the boat. Does the lien holder sign off count as us owning it?

And, since they stole even an air filter, does that mean those parts are hard to find here? Given that I can't even find the Dodge Dakota in the impuesto list, it makes me think that is true???

The fact that we are paying a loan on a truck that we KNOW works and is close to a port (we aren't from FL but my dad is babysitting the truck) makes us think this is a viable option. What do you guys who've done this and know the ups and downs/lost parts $ vs. buying new here think? I'm also wary of anything electronic/mechanical that I buy in the DR because I've come to the conclusion that EVERYTHING here has something wrong with it (ie. it is a reject of another country's inspection process.) Even the Oreos that are sold at PriceMart in Santo Dom are rejects (it's true: look at the printed part of the cookies--in half of them, the printing is facing IN toward the cream; not an issue for eating but I'd like to avoid a car with a more serious consequence to our three kids!)

Sep 19, 2005
well my buddy, and his brother both imported a motorcycle each , at the same time from america. they were brand new and valued at about the same price 18-20K US dollars...their firsdt quote was that the taxes for each alone would be about $10K US dollars...they wheeled and ealed with their connection pipeline to get it down to about $2K each bike and had them shipped...when they got on shore there...there got stuck in duty and the fees went up to $8K before they got their bikes out.....the guy that gave them the sweet deal wouldnt even talk to them......dont know they were scamed, or their connection had heat on him...and bailed on his promise.....

I have another friend who put a 2 year old toyota car in a crate and sent it and only paid 27K pesos.....I think it might have been a little of...they dont open every crate...but he had connections through the previous goverment, that might still be intact....who knows.....I have another friend that imported his used honda motorcycle. It was worth about 3K in the us and he ended up paying about 2.8K in US dollars to finally get it out of customs in the DR.........when he was also told way less....

id figure you will pay 50% of the vehicles value most likely..

I am not in your shoes, but have a hard time trying to decide if I want a rehashed hurricane flooded used car, or risk having my own imported car stripped and looted and still not knowing what it will cost till i want to go get it....

ps i heard the taxes are supposed to drop over the next 5 years for american made stuff...

bob

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
"A tax called Gravaman at 20%, ITBIS at 16% and a license registration fee of what looks to be about 17% for a total of 53% in total tax."

Don't you have to pay ITBIS and license registration fees anyway if you buy the vehicle in the local market??