why live in cabrera

cruzan

May 3, 2006
Ok..everyone did absolutely great in answering some of my questions about where to live. Thank you very, very, much..NOW for the real test. WHY sould you live in the Cabrera area? Is it as safe/ safer than than say Sosua or La Samana area? Where do you go to buy groceries, furniture, house supplies? What is the easiest/fastest way to get there? Once there is there naything to do besides play golf and look at the beautiful scenery? How much does it cost to play golf? How reliable[I know, I know] is the electricity?!!! THANKS A LOT.

cruzan

May 3, 2006
thank you very much for the synopsis. as always i really appreciate it. isn't there a golf course near by? is it going to be closer to the new airport in la samana?[yeah WHEN that opens!!!]. so in other words, if i lived there part time, i would need to bring a trunk load of food and drink, sit on my patio, get drunk, wake up the next morning and explore the area. after one month i would be bored of this and run out of food. actually living in that area- the highlight of the stay would be driving into santiago to get food??? sounds interesting....anyone else like to put in their 2 cents worth???? thank you very much

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to be sucked into the gaping mawh of an endless series of social gatherings with the same people and the same conversations, stay in Cabrera. That is about as far away for things as you can get.

Well there is Monte Cristi and Pedernales....ho hum..

Anyway, the closest golf course will become privatized next year so you are well screwed there..

the next closest will be (someday) opened in Sos?a....but who knows what green fees will be charged.

If money is not an issue, go to La Romana, fer heaven's sakes!! You can live on one of the world's nicest golf venues and be within a few hours of 10 more courses.

If money can be an issue, then you are best off living in Santiago and getting a small "summer" place in Cabrera...That is what most of us do and we get the best of both worlds....
1) We golf a lot and affordably. So much so that it is feasible to drive from POP, play 18 with a caddy and cart, drive back and Still Save Money!!
2) We have cultural activities abounding see: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/58748-want-join-me-4.html
And that is just one day.
3) EVERYTHING is easier. Water, lights, phones, shopping.
4) And when we want beaches and sun, we go off to Sos?a (like I will do on Monday!!) or Punta Rucia or any of the fabulous places we have near by!!

Think about it.

HB