2 Canadian Girls Wanting to move and work in the dominican

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
hi anyone who can help. we are two canadian girls wanting to move and work in the dominican rep. does anyone have any advice as of where to start.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can start by coming down here, deciding which area you like best, discovering what work you can do to make a living, if that's possible, then if all is a go, go back home and grab your stuff and come back.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Don't expect to find employment so easily.
Unless you have contracted your services with a DR business prior to going there, you may find it to be a long, arduous process, even if you're experienced professionals. This may take months, that's right, months.
IMHO, your best bet is to (as Rocky mentioned) go and explored. Then see what's available. You'll find that most of these jobs don't pay enough to cover your living expenses. Therefore, depending on how long you expect to stay in DR, You can do as the Chinese do and create your own opportunity by opening some kind of business. Perhaps Rocky et al, may advise you on investing there. But this is something reserved for those that truly love DR and want to make it a permanent home. If you're just looking to spend your summer vacation there, you won't find work worth "a hill of beans". (Bogart)

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
well i would like to be in boca chica. i have a friend working in a resort there would that make things any easier?

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
thanks for the info. we were hoping to move there for at least a yr and see how things went from there. if it's good then stay longer. in the process of learning spanish.

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
we have been to the dominican rep. 5 times and absolutely love it there. learning to speak spanish now.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Same story here...

hi anyone who can help. we are two canadian girls wanting to move and work in the dominican rep. does anyone have any advice as of where to start.

Hi there...I just saw yor post...My friend and I are also looking to move to the DR. We are both Canadian as well...Weh ave each been there several times and loved the place....We are taking a 2 month "vacation" there, with the hopes of staying...Maybe we can help each other along the way. We are from Montreal..Keep in touch...We are learning loads also...:cheeky:

Sep 19, 2005
well worse comes to worse...just learn to say ....Dar me cinco pesos ...translated by this third rate spanish linguist that looks a lot like ME...

what ever you do dont add...POR FAVOR....

and make sure you say it like you mean it

and dont get a tan what ever you do!!!!!!!!!!!

and every night keep telling your self..a cold shower in a hot country is better than a warm shower in a VERY VERY cold country

good luck

bob

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
That would be great we are from London, Ontario area. Keep in tough let me know what you find out while your there. I am very new to this site so bare with me. thanks

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Please read everything you can on this site before moving to the DR because you have a friend who works on a resort. Especially the Sankie information.

Syncmasterchic

Jan 26, 2007
www.escapeartist.com
ladies you may want to strongly re-consider taking off for a whole year!!!
First of all, what type of qualifications do you have as far as work experience goes? I truly hope you aren't considering some sort of resort job. These type of jobs pay really poorly and it isnt all fun in the sun as you might think it is. My boyfriend, girl friend and myself tried this after our second year of university, thinking it would be alot of fun (besides the fact all 3 of us were sick of school). Trust me, its not cracked up to what you think it might be. There is a long list of things you need to consider, not to mention a language barrier, unless you are fluent in spanish. Seeing as you have said the both of you have been there the last 5 years makes me think you are resort ladies, and just really enjoyed your vacation.

Me and my guy are going in a week to punta cana, for a relaxing vacation, and i suggest to you to do the same. Working there can be tough for foreigners.

Write back if you have any questions
As i am sure I could fill you in quite well!

Loretta :)

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hey people..... also I am moving there next month. I am from Toronto and will be there around March 1st. Looking to rent somewhere on the North coast.... exact location unimportant (for now). I have some interest in sharing accomodations to keep costs down and also to give us more luxury for less price. If you are at all interested....get back to me PM or otherwise.
THANKS!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Done Deal

....I have some interest in sharing accomodations to keep costs down and also to give us more luxury for less price. If you are at all interested....get back to me PM or otherwise.

That's good.

Are you not the gentleman entrepreneur who wants to open up a restaurant?
How about employing the four Canadian ladies (?) as staff?
There you go... things are so easily done here.

m'frog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Please read everything you can on this site before moving to the DR because you have a friend who works on a resort. Especially the Sankie information.
Pay attention to Charlie's words.
Especially the Sankie information
One more time, for good luck....

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Well hollybjolly,
I had a friend that went down for 6 months and taught english. But she had to get it set up before she moved down. I went down and worked in a resort down there. Again, it was set up in advance. I knew spanish in advance which i think is a must. I worked in Animation and made $10 a day. I lived on the resort so didn't have to pay for food or rent, but don't go down there to save money thats for sure. I'm lucky cause my in laws live there so on my days off i went to their house. But there was a girl from Germany that worked there and a guy from Venezula, and they didn't have family or really know anyone so on their days off they didn't leave the resort. They stayed there. They didn't want to spend all there money travelling around staying in hotels on their days off. They were very lonely and miserable. I have another friend thats living in santo domingo right now. She's living with her boyfriend and she's been there since October and is still looking for work. I had to get my residency so that i could work at the hotel. Its about $1000 US and takes about 3 months. So think about that too. You may find somewhere that will let you work under the table, but is always a little risky. Good luck to you both. If you have any questions, i'll do my best to help!