A thought on Dominican litter.....

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
The other day I was driving down the road, swerving in and out of motoconchos, especially the one motoconcho with a lady riding side saddle while putting on her make-up and I was thinking about my environmental campaign.

I was thinking that if I could just understand the reality of the ?sidesaddle make up lady? my litter campaign would be a cinch. How do I make ?SMUP? care about the environment?

I know in the states I?d want to make her feel guilty (yes, the crying Indian, I mean who wants to make an Indian cry especially when they?d rather be called native Americans). But guilt isn?t going to work here.

Just then I was startled out of my thoughts by ?loud ass car speaker guy?. Should I make the campaign really loud? I don?t think so. No one seems to listen to him anyhow.

The answer is that they?re not going to care about the environment. SMUP probably already suffers from retina damage from one too many mascara incidents, so she?s not going to be able to see the campaign. Loud speaker guy won?t be able to hear a campaign. So that?s it, they?re not going to care no matter what advertising or guilt we lay on them. Some have suggested (some being the government officials) that since littering is already a crime on the books then why not enforce the law with tickets and fines. Yeah, that?s what I want, angry Dominicans lashing out at our program because they can?t afford to pay their litter bug ticket.

By this time I found myself halfway to Santiago and on that curvy mountain road it came to me, we have to start by targeting the ex-pats and tourists. By targeting I mean that we will direct our slogans, our campaign almost solely to outsiders first. We?ll use the money and support to work on the inside here, we?ll work with the schools, we?ll go to offices, and eventually maybe sell advertising space on the barrage of street light vendors in Santiago and the Capital.

That?s how to do it, target you guys, and the rest will follow.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, if you?d like to get up to speed on what?s happening in the litter campaign world, go to this link:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/57030-trash-solution-cabarete-sosua.html

Jack

Sep 19, 2005
ya know I saw dozens and dozens of full garbage bags on the median on route 1. Probably between banao, and La vega...or between Santo Domingo and Bonao, but closer to Banao......it seems like some workers had gone down the road for several miles and picked up all the litter...i told my GF , this road looks more like an american road than any other I have seen there so far.

But the road i travel through Licey Al medio( rte 14) would seem to be one road that will never ever be clean of litter.....there is more litter than weeds on that road....

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Median Traffic Safety Barriers

ya know I saw dozens and dozens of full garbage bags on the median on route 1. Probably between banao, and La vega...or between Santo Domingo and Bonao, but closer to Banao......it seems like some workers had gone down the road for several miles and picked up all the litter...i told my GF , this road looks more like an american road than any other I have seen there so far. bob

Sorry to dis-illusion you Bob.

Those are the new high-tech, high-cost Traffic Safety Barriers being installed by the government. Problem is, Dominicans drive on both sides of the barriers anyway if traffic is backed up or they need to see someone on the other side of the road.

Your "Dominican Taxes" at work........

Don - SantiaoDR

Sep 19, 2005
I ll bite....but then did they have to pick up the trash to install these high tech barriers? ha ha ha.......the results are positve any way......maybe the dominicans were used to the soft landings in all the garbage in the median when they went off the road.....who knows.....

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what about kids?

and i thought girls putting the make up on on london buses are crazy....

jackieboo, dominicans are proud nation, it's bad enough that gringos tell them what to do, but to ignore dominicans in essentially DOMINICAN campaign is like a slap in a face.

but i am here only for few months so maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.

you say you do not know how to start the campaign, why not start from those who are easier to influence and bend - that is kids? in polonia we have an "earth day" where all the kids go to the nearest park/forest/beach, collect the rubbish and at the end of the day have big fire, sausages, baked potatoes (in my parents time "earth day" was about planting new trees).

i was taking to planner, her friend and minovio about "litter mission" and that is what we came up with. there is a polish proverb that translates: "you can't teach old dog new tricks". but you can teach and train young....

C

Chip00

Jackie

This topic interests me a great deal. Who know what lack of investment there is on the interior because people don't want to relocate to a dirty country.

I think it should start with an add campaign with persons that are held in high esteem by the people. OK that leaves out all of the politicians but leaves the singers and baseball players. Get an add campaign going on the tv and radio all the time and then get the Education Department to integrate this into a required addition to primary education. You print up a million copies of coloring books that you distribute to the kids and have the teachers encourage the kids to adopt an aree, etc. This is how it has to work because most of all the old farts aren't going to care - change always comes from the youth.

Buenas suerte - A su orden

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why not emulate NYC policy?

First, you start your publicity in a very simple, straight forward way. Tell people not to litter, tell them where to put the litter, etc. You know, just how NYC treat its population as stupid kids, maybe you guys should do that too. Here, take a look at what I mean:

2568028830087297401zjtguu8.jpg

Oh, so silly of one of the largest cities in THE FIRST WORLD! They forgot to tell their idiot residents what to put in the garbage can! This time, not only is NYC more specific of what type of garbage they want in the garbage can, but if you don't follow the law they are going to get you where it hurts! Here, take another look at what I mean:

199337539b52a11324cblk7.jpg

And despite all efforts from the FIRST WORLD countries many of you come from, scenes like the one below are still visible:

27839309186322a035cbgc0.jpg

How about first cleaning your native countries from top to bottom first, and then we can talk about your desire to feel important and wanted in some foreign society.

BTW: I'm not against the "No litter" efforts in the DR. I am simply confused of why I see so much garbage in the native country of some DR1ers while they are painting their country in a different manner while in the DR or when comparing it to the DR. Yes, I know garbage is a global problem and yes, I know its a little worst in the DR. BUT BUT BUT, sometimes the impression that every nook and crany of the U.S. is squeeky clean and every single American holds the notion of not littering along moral lines is alive and well here. Almost always along the impression that Dominicans don't morally care about the environment, DR is so dirty, etc etc.

And yes, I know this is a DR website and all things DR and nothing foreign will be discussed. But, I can't fail to see how the native country of many DR1ers is painted when it comes to compare/contrast something in the DR.

Then I walk into my garage, hop into my car, and drive through one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. and look and behold, I witness the same problems some people here are making them seem as purely Dominican! And, here's the thing, I'm usually the only Dominican around in the places where I witness the litter, the drivers who honk the horn and swirve around you when you try to let pedestrians cross the streets, I turn the television on and police officers are being arrested for driving while drunk and just yesterday I saw a police officer on duty talking in a cell phone while driving.

If I would have done that, I would be fined, perhaps arrested. All of this in good old Connecticut!

There, I got this off my chest. Go on now in your DR is so much worst than your native countries topic.

And let me finish by saying that I am in favor of a cleaner DR.

It's just that the native countries of some of the DR1ers are not as clean as they sometimes make other folks believe on DR1.com!

Photos sources: Flickr and Webshots

-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'd be useless in a litter campaign. :cheeky: I used to notice it when I first moved here (& when it was worse than now because I did notice piles of garbage at street corners & dogs & horses breaking into it for breakfast) but it just doesn't register in my consciousness any more. Same with bars on the windows, I used to notice those, too, but not any more.

So, like I say, I'd be useless. I think you have to be someone who notices it to get really enthusiastic about this. But isn't it good that we're all different :) I tend to notice different types of litter (like drugs for example).

And just a whisper to jackieboo ;) 'That?s how to do it, target you guys, and the rest will follow.' I presume you're jesting in which case it is quite amusing. But if you're serious............. I never expect 'the rest to follow' anything I do, if by 'the rest' is meant the local population. I don't think I'd want them to: it kind of sets me up as 'knowing better' and that isn't how I live my life here............

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
You guys/gals are so serious....

My post was supposed to be amusing and since not a lot of you look in the Enviromental section of DR1 it was a bit of advertising for the project...

Don't get heated, just trying to have a little fun here......

I'm not targeting anyone, we're putting together a very organized campaign and most likely the only thing you'll notice are cleaner beaches and streets.

........ :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm not targeting anyone, we're putting together a very organized campaign and most likely the only thing you'll notice are cleaner beaches and streets......... :)

Good, it's working!

Last time I stopped over at the Santiago beach it was litter free... ;) lol

Nals: Santiago already has(had) little green trash cans hanging on posts in the city, then they became part of the litter !

Don - SantiagoDR

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I seem to recall someone starting a clean-up campaign in one of the Santigo Barrios last year & the response was quite successful. Lots of brooms, black plastic bags etc bought & work was carried out over a two (or was it three) day period making a great difference to that barrio.

Was anyone from Santiago able to step up to the plate when that enterprising gentleman returned to the States? Did anyone take up the cudgels & continue the supervisory work necessary to ensure the project kept going?? ~ Grahame.