The DR is Starting to Scare the Hell out of me !!!

Identity_check

Jan 21, 2007
Hello folks,

Just a few questions,

1. Is the Crime and Drug problem in the DR really as bad as things seem after reading the posts on this forum ?

2. Can someone clearly explain what a Cedula is ?, im a UK citizen who will be living in the DR but not working, do i need a Cedula ?

3. Is a UK driving license valid in the DR ?, if so for how long ?, how easy is it to obtain a DR driving license ?

4. I intend to travel to the DR with the intention of renting for 3-6 months to check out the DR, do i need a Visa.

5. How Good or Bad is road infrastructure ?, are the roads a deathtrap ?

thats it for now :)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
More or less

1. Is the Crime and Drug problem in the DR really as bad as things seem after reading the posts on this forum ?

2. Can someone clearly explain what a Cedula is ?, im a UK citizen who will be living in the DR but not working, do i need a Cedula ?

3. Is a UK driving license valid in the DR ?, if so for how long ?, how easy is it to obtain a DR driving license ?

4. I intend to travel to the DR with the intention of renting for 3-6 months to check out the DR, do i need a Visa.

1. Depends whom you ask... ;)
Better not ask me.

2. Identification Card.
No, you don't really need one (in the beginning).

3. Not sure, three months is my guess.
It's not difficult to get one though.

4. No, you don't.
Tourist visa will get you in.

5. For some it was.
Have you ever driven in a cage full of m.....?

BTW, you can use the search button and you'll get all your questions answered in detail.

m'frog

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Hello folks,

Just a few questions,

thats it for now :)

I am from Puerto rico but i have been travelling to the D.R for almost 15 years!!!! I also own a villa in Casa de Campo. In regards to safety there is in the country a concern regarding that but let me tell you the D.R is a fairly safe country and safer than most latin american countries. In regards to cedula is only required if you are going to live permanently in the D.R. I dont need it because i got back and foward so i dont have to make changes to my status. In regards to Liscense i think that you are only allowed 90 days to change it all you have to due pay and you get a liscense. In regards to infraestructure is getting better but still not like britain or europe or the USA. But the infraestructure is muuuuuuuch better than 5 yeras ago and more modern. Now the big problem in the D.R is the Power service and the water service there are very ineficient it is very normal to have blackouts form 6-9 hours a day it all depend the areas were you lived. Make sure you live in a good commuity that provides power 100% by private generation... Other wise people live and hopefully this power situation will get better in the future

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
To M'froggy

M'frog, have DR been so bad to you. What's with the insults. By the way, I saw you on tv here in the States. You should be greatfull to live in my beloved DR.:tired:

Zeus(primus dominicanus)

Sep 19, 2005
I cant answer many of your questions....and i dont live there, although i travel very often....as far as your first bullet...I really believ it is way way worse than explained....you have no idea how many crimes dont have a snow balls chance in hades of being reported or making the news...and you read about drugs being confiscated daily....you may not hear about the users or theri needs to continue the habit....but you have to know they are there.....even if most of the drugs are just passing through.....there is so much drug money soiling the hands of law enforcement in that country..it is very very scary to think those people are there to protect.....hmmmm

bob

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
# 1- no, it's not

#2- no

#3- Yes, it is. Don't worry about it.

#4- no

#5- The roads are good, but yes, they're a deathtrap.

Good luck in our third-world nation....you'll need it!

Identity_check

Jan 21, 2007
# 1- no, it's not

#2- no

#3- Yes, it is. Don't worry about it.

#4- no

#5- The roads are good, but yes, they're a deathtrap.

Good luck in our third-world nation....you'll need it!

See this is why the DR is starting to scare the hell out of me, the answer to question 1 does not tie in with the last statement (Good luck in our third-world nation...you'll need it) :ermm: :paranoid:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Listen up good. if you want to socialize with lowest life people here as most foreigners do, then yes, you will be exposed to crime. these ghetto folks will only take you nearer their own ghetto hell and introduce you to criminal elements. mind you most crimes are being taken place in ghettos of this country (just like any other country on earth). If you want to socialize with cueros, putas or simply some bar-fly whores then yes, you may very well get exposed to crime in DR.
I choose to live among the better residential areas of santiago where other respectable dominicans also live. I choose my friends who are equally educated as I am and from the same socio-economical background. I have not seen any crime in this island in 9 years of living. I mean crimes like drugs being sold in streets, drive-by shooting, fights etc. Look around you and see what types of folks most expats / tourists socialize with then they choose dominican friends? Most women have boyfriends who are equal to if not a motoconcho type, a jobless street smart tigre or simply some poor uneducated person from some ghetto. The guys date hookers or simply some barrio puta. You think these people get to see the cream of the crop of dominican society? no way, all they see is crime and drugs.
Do you see hillbilly, myself, DMS (dave), robert, chirimoya, juanita or anyone else who lives away from resort places complain about crimes in this island? Only the tourists/expats, the guys who date girls from barrio or folks who visit barrios (ghettos) complain about crime in DR.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude, i manage to live and i am a complaining type (ask anyone).
it is not a place for everyone, that's for sure but you know what they say IF THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY.
come here and see yourself...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do you see hillbilly, myself, DMS (dave), robert, chirimoya, juanita or anyone else who lives away from resort places complain about crimes in this island? Only the tourists/expats, the guys who date girls from barrio or folks who visit barrios (ghettos) complain about crime in DR.
AZB

Yes, AZB, I have seen you complain about crime. I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to find in the archives threads where you have complained about increased crime in Santiago, people with guns on the street, etc. I even seem to recall a post where you talked about the use of a machine gun.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
How to know?

See this is why the DR is starting to scare the hell out of me....
It need not do.

You may not get the full picture (and comrehensive answers on a message board); too many interests are sometimes involved (tourism, real estate business, sugar coating DR-lovers, advertisers, etc.)
If your Spanish is good enough you may want to browse the daily online newspapers, but nothing can actually inform you better than a trial period of at least a year in this country.

m'frog

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your passport will take the place of a cedula while you are visiting. Be prepared to show it when you change money at a banco de cambio or bank, buy a cell phone, or do any of the other things that requires showing identification.

There are few accidents on the highway. But it takes a little while to get accustomed to driving in the Dominican style, eg, 3 lanes on a two-lane road. :surprised

I've been living here 21 years and have seen an increase in crime in the areas where foreigners live. But I think it is still safer here than most places. We talk about it because we are going from almost no crime, except in certain Dominican barrios, to some crime. But neither my wife or I consider it dangerous. We just take more precautions than before, when we took almost none.

If my only contact with the DR was this message board, I would probably be scared, too.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
after 9 trips (still a newbie) i had some items stolen once but i really can't say i see crime except when i visit the bigger cities; santo domingo, santiago, sfm. in boca chica and sosua/POP i've never see anyone ever arrested for that matter..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yes, AZB, I have seen you complain about crime. I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to find in the archives threads where you have complained about increased crime in Santiago, people with guns on the street, etc. I even seem to recall a post where you talked about the use of a machine gun.

machine gun? you must be watching western movies.
yes, there is crime but do i live in crime infested areas? now way. I have been mugged once thats because I was in the wrong place, looking for trouble. This incident could have been easily avoided. yes, I have heard police in gun fights with criminals, but did I see it happen? No, I do not see drugs or crime around me. I have seen crime on regular basis in NY but not so much in DR. You expats just love to blow things out of proportion. I see gun here everyday but do they bother me? not at all. I, recently, took a gun from a guy and fired it in air. These guys with guns are for their protection and many are lawyers and businessmen. I know them personally. They are not out to mug you.
There is crime in every city in the world but if you stay away from criminal elements then chances are you will never see crime taking place near you.
AZB

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Dude... Seriously, What's the Name of Your Neighborhood????

I have not seen any crime in this island in 9 years of living. I mean crimes like drugs being sold in streets, drive-by shooting, fights etc.
Wow!! On my very first trip to the Dominican Republic (within 18-hrs of arrival), I saw an old lady getting mugged by a purse snatcher. All the people on the bus I was riding with were in hysterics. I guess they don't see much crime either.

-Helpmann :cheeky:

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
well....in all nations theres crime....i'm not going to say DR is the safest...but i know it's not the worst.....if u see people from all over the world migrating to DR is because theres chances for them to live peacefully in a nice area of the country...or start up a good business......For some reasons people feel as theres more freedom in DR......u will have to come and check it out urself.....it depends where u go in DR......most of the roads are in good shape.....all those documents if u need them i don't think it will be that hard to get if u decide to stay...u don't need a drivers licence unless u've been leaving in DR for more than 3 months...(not so sure)....cedula same thing..u will only need it if u decide to stay and become a resident.....

Identity_check

Jan 21, 2007
Listen up good. if you want to socialize with lowest life people here as most foreigners do, then yes, you will be exposed to crime. these ghetto folks will only take you nearer their own ghetto hell and introduce you to criminal elements. mind you most crimes are being taken place in ghettos of this country (just like any other country on earth). If you want to socialize with cueros, putas or simply some bar-fly whores then yes, you may very well get exposed to crime in DR.
I choose to live among the better residential areas of santiago where other respectable dominicans also live. I choose my friends who are equally educated as I am and from the same socio-economical background. I have not seen any crime in this island in 9 years of living. I mean crimes like drugs being sold in streets, drive-by shooting, fights etc. Look around you and see what types of folks most expats / tourists socialize with then they choose dominican friends? Most women have boyfriends who are equal to if not a motoconcho type, a jobless street smart tigre or simply some poor uneducated person from some ghetto. The guys date hookers or simply some barrio puta. You think these people get to see the cream of the crop of dominican society? no way, all they see is crime and drugs.
AZB

Ok here's the difference, in the UK i can mix with ALL social groups and feel safe while im doing it, and this is the reason why - in the UK if i get into trouble, ie someone pulls a gun on me, or mugs me, or breaks into my house, or any other such crime, i can go to the police and they will do something about it, and that is the bottom line.
How can i, or my partner, or my friends feel safe in a country that seems to have become almost resigned to having a high level of drug use and crime, and that is what scares me, its not the crime itself that scares me, after all, ALL countries suffer from crime, what scares me is the fact that the police dont seem to give a damn, and from what ive read seem almost complicit, and seem unwilling to take a hard line on drugs, that is what scares me.

Regards

Matt ;)