Orange Juice... con o sin azuca...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mystery of life, like unsalted butter is more expensive than salted ;)

How can something be more expensive by leaving things out of it.:surprised

Just had a thought maybe the orange juice with sugar contains more water therefore making it cheaper than 100% pure orange juice

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No good reason why. I buy both directly from Rica for my colmado and pay the same price for both and sell at the same price. However in Jumbo and Iberia the without sugar is higher!!!

Matilda

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
100% orange juice also has water added. The only 100% orange juice you will ever drink is that which is made by you. The amount of oranges that are required to make one gallon of 100% orange juice would require an 800% markup on the retail market.

The above is stated due to my transporting this commodity across the lower 48 states in the US and am very familiar with its production and transportation.

The reason for the higher price for non sugar is supposed health benefits even though they both have sugar. Go figure.

For what it's worth. The orange juice that is sold in Florida is grown in California and that which is sold in Californian is grown in Florida. Regardless as to what the label says (fact).

Rick

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For what it's worth. The orange juice that is sold in Florida is grown in California and that which is sold in Californian is grown in Florida. Regardless as to what the label says (fact).

Rick

THis is too funny. I noticed that it is next to impossible to find Florida oranges in Florida, always wondered what they bought in Cali, since it seems we get all of theirs.

As for the sin vs con azucar here, maybe they figure only gringos and upper class buys OJ without added sugar, so they charge more for it

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
High fructose corn syrup should be avoided at all costs. It is sugar made from genetically modified corn, and it is one of the prime culprits of the current obesity epidemic...

Floridians will have to drink their own orange juice this season, since the California orange crop was practically wiped out by a killer frost early this month.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mirador if you honestly believe the reported amount of the Calif crop that was supposedly destroyed then I have a bridge I wish to sell you.

Rick

The total oranges grown in Cali make that which is grown in florida almost nonexistent.

Last edited:

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
O J

THis is too funny. I noticed that it is next to impossible to find Florida oranges in Florida, always wondered what they bought in Cali, since it seems we get all of theirs.

As for the sin vs con azucar here, maybe they figure only gringos and upper class buys OJ without added sugar, so they charge more for it

Seems odd that you can't easily find an orange juice in the DR that is as high quality as Tropicana not from concentrate. I tried a few while I was there for a month recently and both, the with and without added sugar, were still pretty lame. They even cost more than the Tropicana does in Canada.
Also, surprisingly, not from concentrate OJ, is higher in calories than coke classic.
Steve:disappoin

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
High fructose corn syrup should be avoided at all costs. It is sugar made from genetically modified corn, and it is one of the prime culprits of the current obesity epidemic...

Good wishful thinking, but reality is that nowadays pretty much everything is sweetened with corn syrup (thus the low prices in the sugar cane market). One of the reasons I want to go back and live in The DR is so that I can grow a lot of the stuff I eat or at least know it is homegrown and not frozen microwavable junk with tons of nitric acids and other additives to "preserve freshness". I'm convinced that the higher prevalence in cancer and other diseases in The US and other industrialized nations is due to these additives...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have to water down the "sin azucar" orange juice before drinking it, so I can't even begin to imagine what the "con azucar" juice is like.:speechles

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
If you go to either National or Pollo in Santiago, you can buy freshly squeezed orange juice ( with no water or sugar added) by the gallon. Even watch them squeezing the oranges in a machine. It is delicious, and is cheaper than buying oranges! We get it every week. That day (Tuesday I think) is 2 for 1 veggies day also, but watch the cashiers closely as they often make mistakes or don't give you the advertized discounts... Canadian Bob.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I always buy the fresh squeezed and if they don't have any I'll snag a bag or two of grapefruit and have the maid squeeze them at home to tide us over 'till the supermarket has the fresh one.
You won't catch me drinking the 'con' and very, very seldom the 'sin'.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
FL vs CA vs Brazil

Most FL oranges are used in juice that is NFC (not from concentrate). Most CA oranges are sold as fruit. Most from concentrate orange juice in the states comes from Brazil the water is added after it arrives by tanker ship.