Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sending CPU from the US

Has anyone had experience having a computer sent from the US by EPS or one of the other mail services? My son just got a new, more powerful computer for his office and offered to give me the old one.

Is this worth considering?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I just brought over a high-end laptop via EPS and was very pleased with the experience.

I'm not sure how it would have worked sending over something with a lower value/weight ratio (like a desktop) though.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparison

I received a 6 pound package a few days ago via Business Mail and it cost me $1,238 pesos. That came to an average of $6.16 U.S. per pound.

Contents was an Electrical Relay.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the quote from SantiagoDR. I use BM quite a bit and it has cost anywhere from $6.00 to $10.00 per pound. I don't know why it fluctuates. If you live near NY/NJ/CT/FL you can send 150 pounds for about $90.00 using one of the shipping services.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

last month I was at BM and a preceding gringo customer received a parcel packaged with one of these"standard" USPS box, it has only a litlle (but long) book and a CD, he got a bill for a lot of pounds and when he got upset, the bm guy used a meter to show him the "volumetric pounds", pure theater, 5 minutes later I received a parcel with exactly the same standard USPS box and I paid only the real pounds

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a volume to weight ratio. I have no idea what it is, but it does exist and Business Mail applies it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the $6+ price per pound from Business Mail. I always thought they were cheaper than EPS, which charges $5+ per pound. Bankers Trust charges about $3.50 per pound, or at least that is what they say and what I have paid for the 3 packages I have received some I started using them.

Is customs charges on high value packages driving up the price at BM?

I have to pick up a package at Bankers Trust tomorrow. I'm going to ask them about this. I'll post what they tell me.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

EPS charges me 4.00/LB and less depending on volume.

Plus, they generally let YOU know when you have a package, (via email) instead of you having to call and convince them that they have a package for you as has been my experience with BM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, EPS lets you know. So does Bankers Trust. Wonder why anyone does business with BM since it seems their rates are high and their service is poor.

Re EPS. the price in Sosua is $5, unless they just lowered it because of the competition from Bankers Trust. It may be that each office has the ability to set own rates. I'd be interested in knowing if their is a difference between the Sosua price and the price you pay at the office you use.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know there is a volume to weight ratio, but they apply it when they want.

"having to call and convince them that they have a package for you as has been my experience with BM" haha, thats funny and true,

I think business mail is supposedly $3.5 per pound, my last bill before going CPS, a 5 pound FEDEX package that grows to 7 pounds in BM:

pounds 7 $834
    ITBIS $16
    DGA $142
    fuel surcharge $72
    local spending $100

yes, I asked what "local spending" is, the answer: "a local spending we had",

so a 5 pound fedex package cost about than US$31,

does CPS charge only the weight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast