what about expats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
In my travels, I've noticed that many American expats tend to be, well, difficult. Too many seem to be enraged with the United States, and apparently finally left in a huff.

My impression is many of these folks are unhappy people who are going to be unhappy no matter where they live. The U.S. is just a convenient whipping boy. I'm not sure I want to live as an expat in the D.R. if that's a common sentiment, or a common occurrence.

I like the U.S. I just want to live somewhere cheap, beautiful and exotic. It sounds like fun.

I'm sure there are many Americans and folks from other countries living in the DR who just want to enjoy something new. But I'd like to hear the responses of others to my observation regarding expats.
Thanks,
Mark

Hastapronto

Jan 19, 2007
In my travels, I've noticed that many American expats tend to be, well, difficult. Too many seem to be enraged with the United States, and apparently finally left in a huff.

My impression is many of these folks are unhappy people who are going to be unhappy no matter where they live. The U.S. is just a convenient whipping boy. I'm not sure I want to live as an expat in the D.R. if that's a common sentiment, or a common occurrence.

I like the U.S. I just want to live somewhere cheap, beautiful and exotic. It sounds like fun.

I'm sure there are many Americans and folks from other countries living in the DR who just want to enjoy something new. But I'd like to hear the responses of others to my observation regarding expats.
Thanks,
Mark

If you LIKE US you should stay in US.
DR is way more expensive to live than, say, in Florida.
And in Florida you will find the same palm trees and same exotic large Spanish -speaking community.

But also much better health care, cheaper real estate, cheaper and better cars and car repair, better and cheaper food.

I could be mistaken as I only have been to DR 15-20 times (3-10 weeks each) as a visitor.

But if you feel nothing wrong about US you must stay in US. Why to bother?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

cheap, beautiful and exotic costs .. The DR not by any stretch of the imagination cheap any longer. It is beautiful, and sometimes exotic. But, you're gonna have to pay for it. or you're gonna have to live a totally exotic lifestyle. Rice and Beans con pollo does not remain exotic for long... if that is all you're eating. ;)

I'm so glad that we seem to be side-stepping the expat issue! Any American expats out there, feel free to respond.

B

batich

Thanks,
Mark

It is very individual.

Two major assests of DR are - freedom and women.
For some people it is enough to die for.
For others - do not matter at all.

If you really like U.S. you do not need DR.

C

Chip00

If you LIKE US you should stay in US.
DR is way more expensive to live than, say, in Florida.
And in Florida you will find the same palm trees and same exotic large Spanish -speaking community.

But also much better health care, cheaper real estate, cheaper and better cars and car repair, better and cheaper food.

I could be mistaken as I only have been to DR 15-20 times (3-10 weeks each) as a visitor.

But if you feel nothing wrong about US you must stay in US. Why to bother?

BTW - I used to live in Florida and now I live in Santiago and the cost of living are a lot less here in the DR and we have a maid to boot. I suppose it depends on how one lives but we don't go out to eat as much and we don't eat a lot of imported foods either.

For example my monthly cost in Orlando for me and the wife and two kids - w/o health insurance was between $4000 to $4500 with a $1500 house payment. Here it runs about $2000 to $2500 with a a $1500 house payment. And we also send our daughter to a private bilingual school.

Also, for the OP I for one love the US - God Bless the USA! I also like it here as I already have lots of Domincan friends/acquantainces and you'll probably find out if you are able to speak the language well that Domincans are more openly friendly as this is valued more here that back home. This isn't to say that Americans aren't friendly per se, no just that we are on the whole more reserved.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
All right I'm chiming...

Here's an expat American that is very happy with my move to the DR.

Was I fed up with the U.S.? Yes. Am I embarressed by the current administration? I think Every one should be.

The thing is that I will never be able to change who I am, I'm an American, just as a person from Germany will always be a German. All of the expats chose to leave their homeland for different reasons. I would imagine you could ask a hundred expats why they left and you'd get just as many answers.

I can say that the thought of moving somewhere just because it 'sounded cheap' and 'kinda fun' never occurred to me. I left because of the standard of living. I got feed up with the fearmongering that persists in America today, it's become this place where people won't even let their children play in the neighborhood for fear that they'll be molested. Or, (and this is my biggest pet peave) the garage subdivisions. The ones where everyone has some tiny piece of front yard and a giant garage. People drive up, park their cars in the garage and not seen again until they leave again in their cars.

Here in the DR it's a different stand of living than in America, it's a place where you feel alive every single day. Every day is a little adventure. Will I die getting to the store? Will I be shot buying crack on the street? You know the simple things..... No, I don't use drugs - just a little joke.

The thing is that I don't hate America I feel sorry for her. She used to be such a proud place where a persons honor was important and the only people that judged others were the crazy women in the beauty shops. Now all of the phone lines are tapped, your bank accounts are monitored and most of all you're tagged with your social security number and credit report.

There was a time that the national anthem meant something to me, but now it sounds more like a Nazi campaign song.

Sorry, not bitter, just telling it like I feel it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It sounds like fun.

If that is your motivation for moving, then don't move to DR. There will be many days that are not fun at all. I can think of a whole load of other adjectives, like life changing, challenging, emotionally rewarding, bringing out the best in people etc etc but unless those are your definitions of 'fun' then don't come here.

I won't comment on the rest of your post as I am not an American and the issue holds little interest for me.

C

Chip00

(most of the rest off topic!)

I'm glad to say here in the DR I have neighbors, that although they are not perfect will come a running possibly at their own detriment to help me - as they have already done. God bless them and I hope I will have the courage to do the same - no matter the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005

I'm not sure those characteristics apply to the "many" expats you refer to. While I may disagree with many of the US policies (both at home and abroad) they did not figure into my relocation in the least. I think many more personal evaluations figure into the life altering decision of moving to a foreign country. I moved here because I disliked the weather for 6 months of the year where I lived in the snowy US Midwest and extensive driving and waiting on planes. I enjoy year round summer here in the DR. For me, in evaluation of various countries and cities, easy access to travel options figured quite heavily into my North Coast relocation. Someone else's evaluation might be quite different.

Thanks,
Mark

I have to say, unless you have excess $$$ to blow, the DR is not necessarily cheap to maintain a US equivalent lifestyle. Electricity (24 hours) is expensive. Food can be a bit more expensive and selection lacking at times. Good construction can be expensive (well, unless you compare with FL or CA real estate). It is a beautiful place and there are some wonderful people here- Dominican and many other nationalities.

I can't imagine many people would move to a different country just to "find something new" or because it "sounds like fun", but I wish you luck in search of your personal paradise. I know that I have found mine on the North Coast.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dang .........
I tuned in to this thread to read about Ex-Pats in the DR & see that it is just another political slanging match!! Come on guys, give us a break & take US political argument to PM.s or another site! Dubya (G.W. Bush aka Grahame.)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You know, I was going to say 'isn't this getting away from the OP's question?' but on second thoughts it is probably answering it perfectly. Wonder if he meant to flamebait...............?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Wonder if he meant to flamebait...............?

I believe not. The op was asking a question, having seen a specific phenomenon in other places and wondering what the situation is in the DR.

Generally, (of course not meant for Lambada - and nothing to do with the quote above) if you want to answer in this thread, please refer back to the original post and read it first. It is an interesting question and if the expats can refrain from fighting the current war all over again, we may get some interesting answers. The op wants your opinions, not your stance on the current war. (Off topic comment deleted ;))

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Dang it!.. Can we please read the mud-flinging Parts? This is what makes DR1 interesting/instructional. But I suppose you'll censor this entry as well. Off Topic, Off Topic!! Sheesh!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
For us politics had no role in our relocation. We were tired of the rat race that we were in, the constant pressure of our jobs and the life style we were leading. With some health issues that are not well under control we decided that life was too short and it was time to embark on a new adventure. And I will admit that it has been an adventure, though one we are thoroughly enjoying. It was time to slow down. We have not looked back once. Do we miss living in the US, not really. Do we plan on going back, yes, once a year to visit family and friends. Our home is now here.

Bob K

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Dang it!.. Can we please read the mud-flinging Parts? This is what makes DR1 interesting/instructional. But I suppose you'll censor this entry as well. Off Topic, Off Topic!! Sheesh!

Read any other pro vs con US board. I almost fell asleep editing the non-juicy parts. Imagine that .. Mod falls asleep with finger on the delete button. DR1 deleted :laugh::laugh:

It would be way more interesting if people would answer the op's question.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would be way more interesting if people would answer the op's question.
If I knew what the question was......
What is the question?
Are a lot of American expats unhappy people by nature?
Is that the question?
If it is, I wouldn't know how to answer it anyhow.
And why would Americans be unhappier than any other nationality?
What am I missing, other than a cerebrum?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If I knew what the question was......
What is the question?
Are a lot of American expats unhappy people by nature?
Is that the question?
If it is, I wouldn't know how to answer it anyhow.
And why would Americans be unhappier than any other nationality?
What am I missing, other than a cerebrum?

Are US expats in the DR generally enraged with the US? Did they generally leave in a huff? Are they the type of people that will be unhappy, no matter where they live?

Op wants to move to another place but does not want to live with expats that exhibit the above characteristics.

I thought it was an interesting question and this could be broadened to other nationalities as well.

For myself, let me answer. No, I am not enraged with my country of birth. I am frayed at the edges having lived through the political situation for many years and needed a serious break. I am also not enraged with the US, even having lived there a long time. I just wanted to live in a place where one could grow stuff easily, a place that's warm, a place where the locals don't discriminate against expats and a place that is beautiful, relatively off the beaten track, but not so remote that we could not continue being active in a business life. We're spending time outside of the DR at the moment, and we miss the DR daily. The DR's expat population is big enough that one does not have to have much contact with those that are unhappy where-ever they are.

greyman

Dec 26, 2006
I have lived and worked in five countries in the past ten years. I own property and spend summers in the D.R.. In a few years I will retire there. I am an American and have found that most long term expats have left the U.S. because they felt they were not needed. Many degreed expats have left to teach overseas. The Countries that hire them need their services and generally respect them. It is a great way to learn something about yourself by learning a little something about what it is like living in another country. The American expats I have met in Sosua do not fit your definition of "difficult". My advice would be to take a good long honest look at why you would like to live in the D.R. or any other country for that matter. Personally I believe it is a worthwhile endeavor and you will be a fuller individual for exploring another culture. My advice would be to get your thinking straight and go for it!

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Weird People

...Op wants to move to another place but does not want to live with expats that exhibit the above characteristics.
I thought it was an interesting question....

Hmm, I fail to see the real question there.
The OP aired his opinion and wondered whether we can agree.
As we are not missionaries he's entitled to stick to his beliefs and will have to live with them... :pirate:

People who emigrate are special people. Obsessed, strange,
individualistic, freedom loving, whatever ....
Many have a virus in them which made them go to several countries... in the persuit of happiness.

m'frog

Status
Not open for further replies.