Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crashed my car today

Picture the scene:
    On the road between Rio San Juan and Gaspar Hernandez, going around a blind bend only to confront a brand new white Toyota Prado on MY side of the road heading directly for me! The reason? There are potholes on his side and his four wheel drive car couldn't possibly cope with a little pothole could it?

So what could I do? Play chicken with him and hope he will move out of my way? Go on the inside and hit the potholes he was avoiding, or swerve around him off the road? Well it was a split second decision and I chose to swerve round him off road. Unfortunately I lost control and put my car in the ditch and mangled it right up!

What did the Prado driver do? Drive off! Thank you very much!

It's such a shame because I was rather pleased with my 2002 Toyota Highlander Limited with all the toys! I've only had it a month!

So what are peoples experiences with getting cars fixed like in this country? I have a comprehensive insurance policy with Monumental. What are they like? Where is the best place to get it repaired? I understand that the first step is to get a police report and some photos. I've heard something about getting the right form, then an official stamp and of course the ubiquitous bribe!

The other big problem is, my Spanish is rubbish! Any advice would be greatly apprciated!

Beeza

Anyone reading this forum drive a white Prado?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Beeza! A "Comprehensive " Insurance Policy here gives you coverage for "third Party" only, nothing else. No coverage for damage to your vehicle and no coverage for fire or theft. Looks like you are stuck with the cost of unmangling your vehicle. Canadian Bob.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

The best body shops and mechanics are in Moca, if you can get your vehicle there.

Moderator 🤡 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monumental

When someone smashed into my parked Toyota, insured by Union, the repair shop told me that they will not deal with Monumental because of payent problems. Union was very good with the repair, and I only had semi-full. Total cost was around $85,000 and I paid only around $3,000 out of pocket.

Later in a second car that I bought because repairs takes "months", a city garbage truck ran into the side of second car while I was stopped. The city is insured by Monumental, they only gave me half the repair estimate. It was only door damage so I went and bought my own used doors and installed them my self.

Don - SantiagoDR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canadian bob View Post
    Hey Beeza! A "Comprehensive " Insurance Policy here gives you coverage for "third Party" only, nothing else. No coverage for damage to your vehicle and no coverage for fire or theft. Looks like you are stuck with the cost of unmangling your vehicle. Canadian Bob.
    Hi Bob, I hope not! The guy who sold me the policy said that it would cover everything and would even replace my vehicle if it was beyond repair (which it isn't at the moment) He also told me I would get a hire car whilst mine is off the road. Policy cost RD$34,000, so I hope it's worth the money.

Must admit though, starting to feel slightly anxious about some of the replies regarding Monumental.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantovani View Post
    Are you saying that if one rents a car there "with insurance" it only covers third party damage. If so, no driving for me or my husband on our next visit.
    Absolutely - especially if you drive an unpaid for Monte Carlo out of Canada!
    ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    Absolutely - especially if you drive an unpaid for Monte Carlo out of Canada!
    ~ Grahame.
    BushBaby, you'll understand this cryptic message. "Rope! Enough of it ..." por favor señor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantovani View Post
    Lost that too
    Excessive consumption of alcohol, destroys brain cells.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    BushBaby, you'll understand this cryptic message. "Rope! Enough of it ..." por favor señor
    I see we're back to hanging from the bridge again..............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    I see we're back to hanging from the bridge again..............
    And he's quickly fading away into the sunset, posts being deleted, almost fully banned, and there goes our boytoy.
    It was fun while it lasted....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast