Help! We've been robbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidbit

Jan 29, 2007
We purchased a home in a well regarded north coast gated community about 6 months ago and paid what we thought was a premium because of the appearance of good security. Three days ago, this perception was shattered by 4 men welding guns and machetes who invaded our home. These people were brazen and apparently well informed. We had just purchased a portable safe last week and that was the first thing they went for.

But first, let me back up and explain how bold these people were. It was about 4pm when we heard a knock at the door. Four guys were there and asked (in good English) if we knew where someone lived who had called them about a construction job. Two of the men had large tool boxes so there didn't seem like anything was out of place. There's always some construction going on in the area. However, once the door was unlocked, they busted in and demanded we open our safe. The machetes came out of the tool boxes and the other two men withdrew pistols from underneath their clothes. It was a scary scene and all I could think was to give these guys what they wanted. I took them to the bedroom closet where the floor safe was and immediately a gun was put in my face. They told me to open it. However, there was a problem. A big problem. It wouldn't open. In my mind, I thought this was it. Death in paradise. But three of the men proceeded to pick the thing up and just carry it away back though the front door. The remaining guy snatched a few thousand pesos laying on the table and that was it.

We were angry and felt violated. But a day later, felt lucky to be alive and come through the experience unharmed. In fact, we laughed later upon reflecting that they stole an empty safe. Besides not opening under pressure, the damn thing wouldn't open after we got it home and our plan was to take it back to the hardware store the next day. Fate!

Our phone isn't working so after the incident I went to a neighbors house to call the police. These folks are long time residents and suggested that by doing so I might be adding to my problems. In fact, they stated the police could be in on it. Given that it was unlikely I'd recover our cash anyway and didn't want the safe back, I decided to "let sleeping dogs lay."

Who 'dunnit?' Was the maid in on it, the gardner, the sales person at the hardware store? I don't know but for sure we'll never keep anything of value in the house again.

Has anyone on the board had a similar experience? Where do most people keep their important documents, jewelry and such? I asked our bank (Banco Reservas) for a safe deposit box but they didn't have any available. Any suggestions?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry to hear about your terrifying experience.
Which gated community is it?
Did the administrators have anything constructive to say about future security?

C

Chip00

Tidbit

First, I'm glad you guys came out ok! Hopefully this will be but a blotch on a long, peaceful and happy experience here in the DR.

Let me add that I would highly recommend that you put bars on all your windows and doors and around your yard if possible. This will more make you certainaly less of a target and if somebody calls you it will from the street with two series of steel bars between you and them. If you can't put bars around the yard at least you will have them in the doors. The cost can range from $1500 to $3000+. For example my house has like 25 windows and two doors and it cost me RD80,000. That didn't include the gate out front as it already was there when I bought the house.

As far as the "leak" in the info it could have been where you bought the safe or maybe a local who works at your house purposely/inadvertantly told someone about your recent purchase.

If you do have a maid I would recommend getting references and visting where she lives and meeting her family. Likewise with anybody doing a lot of work at your house. Also, you may already know this but never give them a key to your house. Furthermore, if you do get a safe, send a friend out to get it for you and bring it in under cover and don't let any of the employess know you have one. alternatively, you can have a hidden safe built in your closet - but don't use anybody local in my opinion. I have a good friend who is Dominican who lives here in Santiago close to me who could do it for you. Send me a PM if you want more info.

As far as finding a place to keep your valuables I don't know - but I do know that it would be very unlikely that someone would try it again with steel bars guarding all of the entrances.

As an added measure you may want to get a dog and a gun as well - but you will need to be a resident/citizen first for the gun - research this site for more info.

And

maxim

Jul 16, 2003
I'm sorry to learn of your misfortunate. As a long term resident, I've seen this kind of crime skyrocket in the last several years. Some say it's the influx of drugs to the area, others say its the 100 of so criminals deported in from the US each month, and still others contend that because of so many Americans having now settled in the area, the north coast is just were the money is.

You are absolutely 100% correct. Do not keep any vaulable in your house. Insurance companies don't pay off and police corruption is an issue. A safe deposit box can be obtained from Bankers Trust. They have been mentioned before on DR1. I got one last year and am pleased with their service. You can find their phone number and directions on the their web site: Home

I'd also invest in dogs (big ones) and a firearm. While criminals will poison your dogs if they are intent on gaining access to your property, big mean dogs do serve as an excellent first line of defense.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
robbed

sorry to hear about your intrusion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sounds very scary........
you say you live in a gated community, i would make a lot of noise with whomever was working the gate that day, maybe get them fired, i'd complain loudly as well to the homeowners board or condo assoc. or whatever it is that serves as the entity in charge of the development. you paid big bucks for your "security". I would definitely call the police. invite them in, serve cafe or cool drinks, let them know how much you respect police in your home country, make friends, let them see that you don't have mountains of cash, jewels, drugs laying around, that your just an average nice guy. suck up to the guy that seems to be in charge, ask for his business card, tell him you're going to call him in a couple of days to see if he has any leads, tell him your friend is a police capt. in Santo Domingo. ask where the station is. tell him you want to stop by. then stop by, ask for him, make him feel important. let them know that you are not scared or going to be scared out of town. if you have a dinner party invite the top guy and his wife over. if you own your home then you must have plans of being there for a long time. in the long term you need all the friends you can get. this could be an opportunity. don't demand they catch the guys. think of it as insurance, nothing better than the cell phone # of a police official, that's your friend, when you get in a fender bender. or, i could be entirely wrong...........

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry that you had to go through this experience. You have to make a report at the police station fwiw. And you have to seriously look at your security right at the moment. These fellows may get mad when they get the empty safe open, and come back for more, as you've already been identified as an 'easy' mark. Have a gate at your front door that is always locked. Don't open it for anyone that you do not know. You can talk to anyone through the gate. Sorry, but this is reality.

And of course, deal with the issue with your gated community.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Tidbit,
It might be wise to get the police involved. When the thiefs painstakingly open the safe and find it empty, they may want to pay you a return visit and thoroughly search the house next time. Something brazen as a day time push-in robbery is very dangerous, these are the type of criminals who bust into businesses and shoot the security guards. I am glad you came out of it safe, it's time to be proactive.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Is it worth it?

Ferocious dogs, iron bars on doors and windows, barbed wire atop high fences, alarms, security guards, guns, being suspicious of hired help and anyone who comes to your house in general, etc. etc.... At some moment you must ask yourself: Is this the way I want myself and my family to live? Is it worth it?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Robbed

Tidbit
Please disclose to us, the area in which this happened. I too have a place in the north coast and obviously like to stay in tune when it comes to these kind of stories. I noticed while there for a month a few weeks ago, that the gated community has the watchman as you enter, but once you are in, the windows and doors are not made secure with the wrought iron and the fences are ony about 4 ft in height. I also wonder in a ladrone's mind, wouldn't the gated area be the place of choice, assuming that there are more goodies worth pinching?
Glad to hear you're laughing about it now but I bet that was a nasty thing to have gone through. Will you keep the place? Will you move? Has it changed the way you feel about the DR so much that you leave the country?
Good luck, I hope they're caught!
Steve

Last edited:

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i'm sorry to hear about your experience, but unfortunatley, there is little the police can do for you. DR is a corrupt country where no one can be trusted when things like this happen. My family went thru something similar, except WITH injuries, and all i can tell you is to count your blessing and use prevention as your security method.

the advise from the previous posters is right on the money! get bars, get dogs, and get a maid w/good ref. 100% of the time, these are inside jobs. there is NO WAY they could do this without help from someone who already knows you.

I also agree that they will try to come back so be prepared. as for keeping valuables, i'm a firm believer that you SHOULD NOT keep ANY valuables in your home OR in DR. i've been warned that even lap tops are dangerous to show off b/c of their street value in DR. discretion is key, don't put yourself out there to be targeted. good luck!

B

batich

Ferocious dogs, iron bars on doors and windows, barbed wire atop high fences, alarms, security guards, guns, being suspicious of hired help and anyone who comes to your house in general, etc. etc.... At some moment you must ask yourself: Is this the way I want myself and my family to live? Is it worth it?

When my foreign friends-investors ask me this question - my answer in last six months is NO!!!
Instead I address them to Cypres or Portugal or Cuba (if they insist on Caribbean).

Situation is getting worse very fast. Security, cost of living, prices.

C

Chip00

When my foreign friends-investors ask me this question - my answer in last six months is NO!!!
Instead I address them to Cypres or Portugal or Cuba (if they insist on Caribbean).

Situation is getting worse very fast. Security, cost of living, prices.

Please please already. I lived in Orlando before I came to the DR a year ago and we had home invasions and murders close to us in one of the nicest areas - Metrowest.

To the Op - again take the precaustions and check out the other threads about being safe in the DR and I think you can probably be rest assured this will be the first and last experience of such.

For all of the other naysayers - why even bother wasting your time visiting this board?

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Tidbit,

I am sorry to hear what happened. I want to move to ther DR once I retire, well not really move there, just stay for extended periods of time, but now it looks like you have to be extra careful and take extra precautions. The time shares at the resorts is starting to look better and better.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tidbit,
I think it would be a service to all here if you could answer these two questions:-

1) who did you buy the safety box from & when?

2) who did you get to do the installation in your house?
(OK, so that is three questions!!:cheeky: :ermm: )

Might be an idea for anyone thinking of buying a safe for the house to buy from an organisation far away from your home & organise a separate installation firm - one others have used & trusted!! ~ Grahame.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
NEVER open your door for a stranger in the DR, or anywhere else. Also, if you live in a private house get a gun and know how to use it. I have one notch on mine and no more problems.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
When will Tidbit respond to everyone's questions here?

Hello, Tidbit? Where are you?

(It could be possible that Tidbit has not checked the thread, but why post something and then take hours before checking the responses, especially with a topic like the one of this thread?)

-NALs:ermm:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
When will Tidbit respond to everyone's questions here?

Hello, Tidbit? Where are you?

(It could be possible that Tidbit has not checked the thread, but why post something and then take hours before checking the responses, especially with a topic like the one of this thread?)

-NALs:ermm:

................OR, he could have decided to report it to the Police and when they came over they stole his computer.............

:ermm:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
................OR, he could have decided to report it to the Police and when they came over they stole his computer.............

:ermm:
That's a possibility. The probabilities of such thing occuring so soon after a break-in could be unfavorable, but a possibility is a possibility.

Let's wait and see when (perhaps if?) Tidbit comes back to DR1.... :ermm:

-NALs

Tidbit

Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for the warmth and all the kind words

Your generousity of spirit and advise is appreciated. We came here because of this kind of positive energy from both expats and locals alike.

There has been much talk about guns, guard dogs, window bars, bribing police to do their job and the like but we chose not to live that way. Our determination is to not allow this one incident to color our impression of this wonderful Caribbean adventure we're on. Otherwise, we sucome to fear, fatigue and stress instead of the vibrance, strength and love we came with.

The incident occurred in Perla Marina. With so much construction going on, the fellows did not seem out of place. We purchased the vault locally and had it carried in by our gardner with the help of the gardner next door. My sense is that the home invaders will not return. We know what they look like and will communicate to all that'll listen we no longer keep valuables in the house. My hope is that we can obtain a safe deposit box from the company mentioned above as soon as possible.

I'm also going to follow the advise of a couple of posters and not get the police involved. My instincts agree that by doing so may be asking for more trouble. Besides, it's remote that we'll recover anything. Therefore, while there's a significant possible downside in contacting them, there doesn't seem to be much upside.

Each day all of us encounter a wide range of energies, both positive and negative. Positive energy includes compassion, courage, forgiveness, and faith. Negative energy includes fear, anger, hopelessness, and shame. We could have easily been emotionally demolished by this situation. However, we took a different road and enjoyed the day at the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.