Tax free to bring in computers?Is it true?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
As the heading asks,I would like to bring (in my carry on) my computer and screen,eventually all 3 computers that I have for my family.If customs sees this does anyone know of a law that I can quote to the customs agent stating,in fact,that computers are tax excempt?
Thanks All

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I brought in a desktop and told them what it was last year, no problems at that time. This year I had my laptop, did not get stopped to have them check it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I believe they are tax exempt, but the shipping companies looks like they charge you tax on everything. Even if there s no tax.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
eastcoastmike, I refer you to this reply in the duplicate thread in legal.

They used to be but now they are not, cannot recall when they ceased to be tax free but it has been around a year.

If you can convince Customs that your computer screens are worth less than 200 each then they may not charge you anything.

Good luck.

MrMike must have brought in hundreds if not thousands of computers. Our own experience bears this out and we've brought in our fair share. It is still a 'crapshoot' at the moment. Aduana may charge you something, or they may charge you a lot. Depends on the day and on which book they read that morning.

I have carried computers (not laptops) through and gave them a good argument that I don't use a laptop (I'm too old, my eyes are bad ... whatever). Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. It is your best bet though, but not all three at once. ;)

kidcash

Jan 10, 2006
This Christmas I brought with me 3 laptops (1 carry on and 2 in luggage brand new in the box as well as a PS3). No problems!!

WeeJee

Jun 26, 2006
As the heading asks,I would like to bring (in my carry on) my computer and screen,eventually all 3 computers that I have for my family.If customs sees this does anyone know of a law that I can quote to the customs agent stating,in fact,that computers are tax excempt?
Thanks All

Well, of course you pobably can bring them in tax free. If the Dominicans encourage us to do so, the more will be brought in and that means, the more to steal and sell !!!!! Sorry for my crappy reply, but EVERYONE I know that had a laptop here, has had it stolen.... Be very careful having 3 around your place!