Paying the tourist rate for Gua Guas and Local Taxis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
I rode a local taxi (pooled car) from Sosua and Cabarete and the guy charged me 50 pesos. I was told that this is suppose to be 30 pesos? I also rode on a Gua Guas (pooled van) from Cabarete to Sosua and the guy charged me 50 pesos. The rate was suppose to be 20 pesos. Do all these guys charge more to tourists?

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
racisim by any other word would still be.......

the correct fare in the day on a guga is 10rd and 15rd in a carrito(public car).
this then goes to 20rd in the carrito after 6pm up until 9:30 or so.then its 30rd.
no gugas leave from cabarete after 6:30. sosua after 7pm.and as advised in last thread ALLWAYS have the correct fare.pay when you get out,and walk away if the guy tries busting your chops for more.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i get so confused.
i was told POP - sosua in gugua is 25 pesos (plus 5 more for carro publico). 10 pesos is a standars short drive fare. the trick is to know the price BEFOREHAND so you pay with confidence. i pay, say "garcias" and go. i was never stopped to pay extra, even thou i stick out like legwarmers on ipanema...

C

Chip00

even thou i stick out like legwarmers on ipanema...

Saying garcias instead of gracias won't help either - Just kidding of course dv8;)

That made me crack up so much cause that is how my poor Mom would try to say thank you to my wife in Spanish. That's not the funniest thing she said though - we we're out eating at a restaurant a couple of years ago after my Dad passed away and my Mom said to my wife: Yo quiero hombre - you should have seen the look on my wife's face - I explained of course that my Mom was just trying to say that she was hungry!

BTW - how's the Spanish really coming?

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
fares

i get so confused.
i was told POP - sosua in gugua is 25 pesos (plus 5 more for carro publico). 10 pesos is a standars short drive fare. the trick is to know the price BEFOREHAND so you pay with confidence. i pay, say "garcias" and go. i was never stopped to pay extra, even thou i stick out like legwarmers on ipanema...
i was sure the question was the fare between sosua and cabarete?dident see p.plata mentioned?
but yes you are correct on that fare also.:glasses:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Present Publico rates: RD$20 Sosua-Cabarete and RD$30 Sosua-Puerto Plata. This is during day. After 6 pm, rat es are at least RD$5 higher.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Saying garcias instead of gracias won't help either - Just kidding of course dv8;)

That made me crack up so much cause that is how my poor Mom would try to say thank you to my wife in Spanish. That's not the funniest thing she said though - we we're out eating at a restaurant a couple of years ago after my Dad passed away and my Mom said to my wife: Yo quiero hombre - you should have seen the look on my wife's face - I explained of course that my Mom was just trying to say that she was hungry!

BTW - how's the Spanish really coming?

i knew it! this google spelling thingy is a scam! ;)

spanish is coming surprisingly well (grammar is starting to pick up) as i find myself understanding what people say about me behind my back (in front of me, most of the time). i can claim to be puertoplata?a (hope i spelled this right) not a gringa and i get by with my daily things.

during my recent trips alone i have noticed that my spanish becomes instantly better when minovio is not around to help and i have to think fast how to replace words i do not know.

i make lots of mistakes but i am not embarrassed about it, i just think how dominicans would go learning polish and i feel better.
:cheeky:

since i have taught minovio's family polish expression: "nie ma" (there is no, reads like "?ema" which i believe is an ugly word - not sure about spelling) they have plenty of fun saying it out loud at family gatherings...

by now everyone knows "nie ma" along with "kochanie" (cari?o) and "buzi" (besito). so i learn spanish and they learn polish!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was sure the question was the fare between sosua and cabarete?dident see p.plata mentioned?
but yes you are correct on that fare also.:glasses:

you must be right.
in poland we say: what stupid does not hear/see he will imagine. :cheeky:

C

Chip00

i knew it! this google spelling thingy is a scam! ;)

spanish is coming surprisingly well (grammar is starting to pick up) as i find myself understanding what people say about me behind my back (in front of me, most of the time). i can claim to be puertoplata?a (hope i spelled this right) not a gringa and i get by with my daily things.

during my recent trips alone i have noticed that my spanish becomes instantly better when minovio is not around to help and i have to think fast how to replace words i do not know.

i make lots of mistakes but i am not embarrassed about it, i just think how dominicans would go learning polish and i feel better.
:cheeky:

since i have taught minovio's family polish expression: "nie ma" (there is no, reads like "?ema" which i believe is an ugly word - not sure about spelling) they have plenty of fun saying it out loud at family gatherings...

by now everyone knows "nie ma" along with "kochanie" (cari?o) and "buzi" (besito). so i learn spanish and they learn polish!

That's funny. I actually know a couple in Orlando - the wife is Dom and the guy is Polish and they had been married for like 18 years and both of them spoke really poor English. He did understand a little Spanish but I don't think she could understand much Polish at all. Honestly I don't know how they communicated but they seemed very happy. ... hey maybe we can learn from that!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
always negotiate a price beforehand...if he starts to argue for more, i just place the money on the ground and walk away. if he really wants it, he'll pick it up. it might sound rude, but you have to show these guys you are tourists not stupido.

was that an oxymoron..tourist and stupid ?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I too always negotiate the price beforehand, but pay as I exit. I also usually pay a slight "gringo premium" as I find it just makes things go smoother and it's a pittance anyway. When I know the fare is 20 pesos I will tell the cobrador that I will pay 30 pesos, they always agree. My Spanish isn't good enough to get into an argument when he tries to charge me 50 or 100 pesos if I don't do so. I have also paid 20 pesos for a 20 peso route but it just goes smoother if he thinks he squeezed an extra 10 pesos from the gringo - LOL.

Gregg

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gregg:

I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree with your policy. If the fare is $RD20 for a local, and one speaks fairly fluent Spanish, why should one pay a "Gringo premium"? I always ask the price from 2 locals waiting on line @ the GuaGua or publico station and where they are going. You open yourself up to being charged a higher "Gringo" price just by asking the price. I realize we are talking about $RD10, but I do not allow anyone to treat me as a Gringo! Do foreigners pay a higher price for the bus in your country?

tambo' the gringo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only pay more if i do not have change. for a fare of 25 pesos i may give 30 and i know there is no way i can get my 5 pesos back... LOL
but that happened only twice in months of travelling.
i agree with tamborista, i may be a gringa but not turista no more. i live here and i pay same as locals do.
same goes for paying the supermarket boy - i give them small change they'd get from dominicans....

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I have always found that the publicos will give you change without you having to ask but the guagas will take anything they can get!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Do foreigners pay a higher price for the bus in your country?

that is an interesting question. but since we have bus tickets i wouldn't think so..

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
oh contrare........

No, I was talking to a local guy in Cabarete. He said it was Vente pesos to Sosua.
i have traveled/asked "locals"prices,directions etc,only to find out they OFTON know less than moi.
i am a friend of the "fat controller"in sosua and make the trip daily.it's 15rd in the carrito and 10 in ze guaga.and although most of the drivers will "forget"to give you back 5rd they are NOT 'behind the door"when anyone gringo or local shorts THEM the 5.on my donkeys life..........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on my last guagua trip i saw this old dominican lady arguing for few minutes about her five pesos change so it's not only gringos that have problems with public transport....
how i miss bus tickets! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.