Cheap and easy 24/7 Security Recording

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... well maybe not that cheap, but easy!

From laurapasinifan in the closed thread: Help! We've been robbed.

.....with all the security measures Id think a first step would be to install a security camera that you can turn on every time someone comes to the gate at your driveway...then turn it off when they go.....I realize 24-7 camera security would be a pain....but at least you could get pictures of them.

Even nicer is not having to turn it on and off.

I use a Panasonic DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with a 160 GB hard drive, but instead of using it to record TV shows, I hooked it to my security camaras. On extended mode it records for 10+ days (24/7). An added feature of it is that I can also copy any of the recordings to a DVD. There has been more than one occasion where neigbors asked me to check back a few days on the recordings of the neighborhood.

If I had to do it again, I would invest in a recorder that was designed for security recording (Cheaper). But hey, I also record TV shows to DVD with the Panasonic.

Bullets go through barred windows and barred doorways. Invest in a "Video 2 way audio" door/gate camera. One of mine is about 20 feet high, looking down, inside the wall, making it safe and secure. Nice to listen to those things that go "bump" in the middle of the night sometimes.

Ofcourse, conceal the recorder from the ladrone......

BOB, you can hide it in your 800 lb safe... ;) Reset it every 10 days when you open the safe to count your millions.

Don - SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
oops

Sorry, thought you said "WHAT" and not "WHO"

I do ALL my own work.

To do your video and "Video 2 way audio" door/gate camera?

Thanks

I like the Panasonic DVR. I keep it recording 24/7. When I want to record a show I just switch the recorder over to TV input. Get at least a 160 GB drive one.

The Panasonic also does the SD chips.

I double wired the TV's so that I can press the TV/Video button on any TV in the house and see the security cameras. Small TV in bedroom to monitor at night.

All my doors, windows and gates are wired and an alarm module announces by voice through out the house the location of any point breeched.

Last edited:

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
My two cents on Digital Video Recorders

There are a lot of options in digital video recording, and lately the DVR are getting cheaper too.

The top of the line seems to be those DVR that support 8 cameras and record each of them separately.
That stuff is still expensive, but DVR supporting 4 cameras are not expensive.

Also there is a mini DVR that records in a SD card and costs about U$ 200.
I have one of them (SVAT CVP800) connected to my 8 cameras quad output and I’m happy with the results.

Another option is to buy just a PC card to work as DVR and plug it in your computer, I think that for less than U$200 you can get a 4 cameras card, and some cards can record up to 16 cameras.
That way is far less expensive than a dedicated DVR.

If you need to buy a lot of stuff (cameras + DVR + quad) you can get the best price by buying it directly from the factory, at least I know one Taiwan producer that sells directly to anyone if the order is for more than U$ 2000. I got my day/night cameras from there without other problem than the guys at Dominican Customs …

Ben

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
your house sounds like Alcatraz. it's a shame you have to put up so much security.

so where is the security "inside" the house ? i mean if they manage to breach your outside cameras you should have something "inside". small cameras in the picture frames work best. just make sure you buy a cheap picture to put it in. they can be hooked to your other monitors as well.....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
your house sounds like Alcatraz. it's a shame you have to put up so much security.

so where is the security "inside" the house ? i mean if they manage to breach your outside cameras you should have something "inside". small cameras in the picture frames work best. just make sure you buy a cheap picture to put it in. they can be hooked to your other monitors as well.....
How can you tell him it's a shame to have that much security, then suggest more?
Why not build a moat and have poison darts shooting at anything that moves?

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
How can you tell him it's a shame to have that much security, then suggest more?
Why not build a moat and have poison darts shooting at anything that moves?

The moat would not be a bad idea, but I would also need crocodiles in the moat, and they can be expensive to feed if I don't receive enough visits :)-

I have 8 cameras because I want 360 degrees view around my house in the country.
They are also useful to monitor employees when you are away.

Having the recording in digital format makes far more easy and fast checking it than if it were on tape and makes archiving more convenient.

webguru

Feb 4, 2007
forgive me

i have been building systems for years that provide live video streaming now so i thought i'd give my input. dvrs afford the user maintenance free use and are an easy integration. for about the same price though you can purchase a pc based unit that will allow you to stream more effectively if you have a high speed connection. it is not a necessity but it is a nice feature to be able to view the location from wherever you are in the world and go back in time without being there. most cameras are very reasonable and waterproof infrareds(sony, sharp or panasonic boards) will give you night viewing effectively. the units also feature cd/dvd writers so the video can be cut and given to law enforcement and unlike vcrd, this video is clear and the evidence has some teeth. if anyone is interested i can provide links for more info. webguru

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
DVR streaming

You can stream through internet with a good quality DVR. Also it will use less power than a PC (if you run on an Inverter it matters).
If you have no power problems, I fully agree with webguru, a PC is more cost effective.

I have purchased good infrared cameras at the factory (they also have DVRs):

CCTV Surveillance System Manufacturer

They don't have the list price online, but you if you ask them they email it.

After you see the list you will that they charge far less than consumer oriented online sites.

Ben