Why do Dominican need to steal from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Folks, I need to vent a bit. Please bear with me. First. some background.I live in NYC and travel to the DR frequently for a bunch of reasons that are not important other than to substansiate that I am not a "babe in the woods"

I just returned from night court here in NYC where I had not one but two actions against people that literally stole money from me. It's sad that both of them are Dominicans and that I had placed an enormous amount of trust in them only to be taken with their BS.

The first person worked for me for 3 years and when faced with a medical emergency with his father in SD needed me to advance $650.00 (which I sent by WU) Tonight in court he denied I sent the money. I of course had prepared in advance a complete record of my transaction with WU and I believe I won the case.(They send the results in the mail)

The second situation I am not willing to share too much information since it is very personal to this board and I do not wish to engage in mudslinging. Suffice it to say another money lending situation to a woman I believed in that was in trouble and needed $1800. Soooo, did she pay it back? I am sure you know the answer.

Ihave had a number if dealing in the DR over the past 8 years and never have been screwed. (well maybe once before I opened a store but I caught it in the bud). This whole thing about keeping your hands in your pocket in the DR happened right here, right in front of me, a pretty street smart New Yorker.
WTF did I do wrong? Is this some sort of Dominican trait I was not aware of??

Sorry for the venting-----John
Whew, feeling better now-maybe the 3 sippin rums I had. LOL.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Well, some people are just dishonest, mean people. I hope that he pays you after you win. If he doesn't let me know and I'll send you in the direction on how to collect!

G

gary short

Geez John...you're a street smart New Yorker?????? Where I come from you sound like a mark....You could have been taken by Poles, Russians, Chinese, Portugese, Lithuanians, frickin yogurt eating levitating mongolian monks........good luck.....

C

Chip00

First of all anybody can be had. However, as someone who lives in the DR and has given money at times to Dominican friends, family, strangers etc. what I have postulated a theory that might help this understand this odd dynamic. First of all it is predicated on a couple of "facts" if you will based on close observation:

1. NY(US) is "mecca" for most lower income Dom's. They all want to be there, money grows on trees, gold is to be found in the streets, etc.

2. All, repeat all gringos are rich. Realistically when you think of it we are "rich" compared to them when we come down here and blow $900 RD on a meal and don't think twice. A nice night out on the town for a lot of poor Dom's is a hotdog at the park with a presidente or if their feeling real froggy, chicken at Pollo Victorina's.

3. All gringos have money to spare.

4. Domincans share just about everything and it is considered uncivilized not to do it. I'm talking about their most valuable posessions too.

5. Dominicans in the US have an enormous amount of pressure from friends and family back home to be/appear affluent and are expected to be generous - this is "nirvanna for them". That is why the majority of the Dom's that live in the US don't bother to tell their family back home the "real truth" - it would be like giving the keys away to their newfound elite social status.

If you can accept these "facts" as I call them it shouldn't be that "unplausable" to realize that with so many of the population with this type of mentality there is going to be a certain percentage that will take it to the next step - and why not after all? - you're a gringo and have got plenty to spare. Although I can't say that I've been outright robbed(except for my brand new shoes I used only once at my wedding) I have witnessed the "odd dynamic" about the falacy that all gringo's are rich numerous times. I have had perfect strangers and acquantainces ask me to bring back televisions, radios etc. as if they were just giving them away back home.

As far as your situation, hopefully these people will wake up to the realities of the US - it takes hard work and sacrifice for most.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You folks socialize with poor desperate dominicans, so what do you expect in return? Try socializing with dominicans who live as good as you folks or better. Last night I was invited to dinner in the house of my friend's brother. he is a wealthy lawyer and also comes from a well to do family. They are 15 brothers and sisters all together and everyone is doing just fine. The house was in very good neighborhood and needless to say, very expensive. The lawyer had just bought a brand new toyota SUV, fully loaded. Tag price 115 thousand dollars. He bought this SUV because a month earlier his other brother had bought it so he thought he should have one too. Another brother who is a very well known politician came in a Mercedes. I think some people know whom I am talking about by now.
you think these people will need money from you, have an urge to steal from your pocket? Hahahaha
Try socializing with these people and see how you will begin to see this island and its people with a completely different perspective. I have contact with all kinds of people but I try not to deal with the poor and desperate types.
AZB

C

Chip00

No offense AZB but looking at the big picture don't you think if their were less politicians and lawyers robbing the people (this is what everybody seems to say) that there would be less poor Dominicans?

Also, I personally don't believe that just because poor Dominicans are just that, poor, that they don't have admirable qualities. Unfortunately, I personally have found in my albeit limited experience with the elite upper class that they seem to be very materialistic, which to some of us is quite distasteful.

Take care, BTW the way I know you're a chiropracter - what can you do with a back that was broken on a night time mass tactical parachute jump out of a C141 over Ft Bragg that was fused with two titanium rods and has more curves that Beyonce?

samana3

May 31, 2006
Folks, I need to vent a bit. Please bear with me. First. some background.I live in NYC and travel to the DR frequently for a bunch of reasons that are not important other than to substansiate that I am not a "babe in the woods"

I just returned from night court here in NYC where I had not one but two actions against people that literally stole money from me. It's sad that both of them are Dominicans and that I had placed an enormous amount of trust in them only to be taken with their BS.

The first person worked for me for 3 years and when faced with a medical emergency with his father in SD needed me to advance $650.00 (which I sent by WU) Tonight in court he denied I sent the money. I of course had prepared in advance a complete record of my transaction with WU and I believe I won the case.(They send the results in the mail)

The second situation I am not willing to share too much information since it is very personal to this board and I do not wish to engage in mudslinging. Suffice it to say another money lending situation to a woman I believed in that was in trouble and needed $1800. Soooo, did she pay it back? I am sure you know the answer.

Ihave had a number if dealing in the DR over the past 8 years and never have been screwed. (well maybe once before I opened a store but I caught it in the bud). This whole thing about keeping your hands in your pocket in the DR happened right here, right in front of me, a pretty street smart New Yorker.
WTF did I do wrong? Is this some sort of Dominican trait I was not aware of??

Sorry for the venting-----John
Whew, feeling better now-maybe the 3 sippin rums I had. LOL.

I hope you're not generalizing dominicans :paranoid:
I'm just waiting for the ignorant person to say that all dominicans need to steal in order to survive in NYC

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
WTF did I do wrong?
You could hardly be accused of doing something wrong, unless you consider trusting an untrustworthy person, a wrongdoing.
Of course, you always put yourself at risk, when lending money, to lose both the money and the friend, but you did not do anything wrong.
Is this some sort of Dominican trait I was not aware of??
It's more like a poor person syndrome, than a Dominican trait. Poor people often borrow money when in a bind, with no means of paying it back.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Don't start something

I hope you're not generalizing dominicans :paranoid:
I'm just waiting for the ignorant person to say that all dominicans need to steal in order to survive in NYC

Not only did I NOT generalize, I was very specific about the two instances. In addition there are many people on this board that know I have a long relationship (and continuing) with the DR and its' people.
Please dont go there and "wait for the ignorant person" just contribute your thoughts.
Thanks
john

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe it is part of the " PENDAHO" syndrome. They believe than If you let someone take advantage of you, then you are stupid and deserve to be robbed, stolen from, not paid back...etc. You have reacted in typical Gringo fashion, taking them to court, if that doesn't work you will have to react in a more latin fashion. Good Luck.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a toyota for 115,000 ? :eek: hopefully that was pesos. maybe in the DR a toyota is a status symbol, i don't know. toyota is an average man's car in the US.

someone who buys a toyota for 115,000 is called a fool.

not knocking your friends AZB but come on 115,000 ??

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
He He

Geez John...you're a street smart New Yorker?????? Where I come from you sound like a mark....You could have been taken by Poles, Russians, Chinese, Portugese, Lithuanians, frickin yogurt eating levitating mongolian monks........good luck.....

Best response I got!
Gonna carry this attitude with me all day long. God help the first person that comes up to me today and asks for ANY kind of help. Wow is he in trouble!
john

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I believe it is part of the " PENDAHO" syndrome. They believe than If you let someone take advantage of you, then you are stupid and deserve to be robbed, stolen from, not paid back...etc. You have reacted in typical Gringo fashion, taking them to court, if that doesn't work you will have to react in a more latin fashion. Good Luck.[/quot

Or in my case Italian born in NYC? Send the papers down to the coffee shop?
Let me think about that one.

cuas

May 29, 2006
It happened to me. This time I am the Dominican being cheated by a Puerto Rican. My co-workers needed $1,000.00 to complete the down-payment for a condo. She only paid me $800.00.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
a toyota for 115,000 ? :eek: hopefully that was pesos. maybe in the DR a toyota is a status symbol, i don't know. toyota is an average man's car in the US.

A new 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser with full options, would sell in the US for $71,120.00.
Add on 50% DR tax, and you would be looking at $106,680, so AZB's estimate is pretty close.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It happened to me. This time I am the Dominican being cheated by a Puerto Rican. My co-workers needed $1,000.00 to complete the down-payment for a condo. She only paid me $800.00.

So you have a credit of $200 in your favor for future use and occupancy. With her? Probably not from your tone but maybe for a super ball party with your best 100 friends at $2 a head admission.
Lots of ways to skin the cat.
john

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i once lent 100 pounds to a friend, rich girls but in a sudden need of money. it took me almost two years of emails and telephone calls (me in london, her in poland) to get my money back and the friendship has never been restored.
that's what happen when you trust the wrong person...
as to your: God help the first person that comes up to me today and asks for ANY kind of help. Wow is he in trouble!
you should now better now who to trust, yes?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
i once lent 100 pounds to a friend, rich girls but in a sudden need of money. it took me almost two years of emails and telephone calls (me in london, her in poland) to get my money back and the friendship has never been restored.
that's what happen when you trust the wrong person...
as to your: God help the first person that comes up to me today and asks for ANY kind of help. Wow is he in trouble!
you should now better now who to trust, yes?

Not that easy my friend. Only if you listen to AZB who seems to have this all figured out. Personally I don't agree with one bit of his adviseo so there is the quandry.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

get your figures straight man. This is what a fully loaded toyota SUV costs here. Now if this is an average car in USA then try comparing this to a car that actually costs 115K dollars in USA? You think a car that costs 115K in usa is an average car? You have a lot to learn about this country.
AZB

leafman

Jan 4, 2006
after reading some of the replies i thought i would add my 2 cents to the pot. i personally have had a few hiccups since being here, im sure everyone has at least one story to tell. I have had many feelings relating to theft ranging from petty to robbery, because i have experienced both. i used to get very overheated about it, the petty things like going to work on my bike and then it chuggs and stalls half way there because the gas was syphoned out the previous night.i by no means am a rich gringo, however its just the fact that if someone needed gas that bad i am of the nature where i would leave a note with 50 pesos, maybe once in awhile, and explain that if i have a few pesos that would be much better then walking my bike 2ks to the gas station and being late for work. i am not naive enough to not realize that it would probably make a bigger problem as in hey!,there is a gringo with free gas handouts..but its just frusterating.
however... we all know that no matter how poor a gringo is we still have it better then the majority of the population. when i get really ****ed off, i cool down quickly in just thinking no matter how bad it gets for me here, in an instant i can say screw it and with help of friends back home i can GO home within a week if i really had to. If you are an expat... we all have that luxury to go back to a beautiful free country,where if your not lazy you can do very well.that is a luxury that many dominicans will never have.period.
i dont condone theft and underhandedness, but lets face it,life is a struggle here for most and some have to do anything to put food on the table.If you are white that means dollar signs, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.