Canada Issues Travel Advisory to DR for Malaria

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
This has been an on again, off again situation since Hurricane Jeanne in September 2004 left huge amounts of standing water in the relatively flat swampy areas of La Altagracia.

During that time tourism has recovered and prospered in what is known as Punta Cana. I see no reason why this will be any more than a blip, as long as the DR reacts with a spraying program as they have done in the past and publicizes what they are doing. DR Tourism is trying to get to 5 million tourists by 2008 and if they hope to get there the worst thing they can do is nothing.

Gregg

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
tourists who haven't already bought will, in alot of cases, decide that they don't want to be bothered or sickened by the malaria pills and they'll just go elsewhere. they couldn't give a damn about the history. i'm suprised that it happened in punta cana. bring in more frogs i guess to eat them dang bugs. yes, let's hope it blows over fast. shame it had to happen at peak winter season though maybe i'll get a cheap ticket now.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Yesterday in the National Post there was also a write up on three Canadian's who ended up with bad cases of malaria. I believe Cuba will be seeing a lot more Canadian travelers this year, and that includes me.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Mosquito repellant

I am not keen on taking the malaria pills but I'll be carrying my DEET based repellant - I didn't wear any on the last two trips but I'll be certain to wear it this trip. I still plan on visiting Santo Domingo next month.

Does anyone know if there will be any fogging done in the rural areas and in the province mentioned?

I noticed very few mosquitos when I was in Sosua back in October.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I am not keen on taking the malaria pills but I'll be carrying my DEET based repellant - I didn't wear any on the last two trips but I'll be certain to wear it this trip. I still plan on visiting Santo Domingo next month.

Does anyone know if there will be any fogging done in the rural areas and in the province mentioned?

I noticed very few mosquitos when I was in Sosua back in October.
This only applies to La Altagracia province (Punta Cana, Bavaro, Uvero Alto, etc.) and not Sosua or Santo Domingo.

Most of the resorts fog once or twice per day.

Gregg