Damn good hamburger

C

Chip00

Well being here I the DR for a while now I thought I wasn't going to be able to eat a good hamburger, either at home or at the restaurants here in Santiago. It seems the the hamburger meat has little fat and the things end up tasting just like parchment. Even at La Campagna it was bad and as far as the meat from BK/McD's it still don't taste the same as back home. I'm sure I could probably find some imported meat to but but I don't want to pay $10 a pound.

Good news though - I finally found the "cheap" hamburger meat from El Nacional at RD45/lb is pretty good for making a hamburger. I made burgers for the family last night with all the fixings and man they were good. Mine must have been 3/4 of a pound! I'm going out tonight to get some more meat and maybe see if I get get some fresh mushrooms and swiss cheese.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chip, I have done what you are writing about. I agree, it was a damn good hamburger I made for my friends, lots of cheese and other goodies.
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I like the low fat hamburger. Eat a lot of it and feel it is better for my health. We put a little olive oil in the pan when we fry hamburgers. This makes it easier to fry and improves the taste. The olive oil much better for you than beef fat.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I like the low fat hamburger. Eat a lot of it and feel it is better for my health. We put a little olive oil in the pan when we fry hamburgers. This makes it easier to fry and improves the taste. The olive oil much better for you than beef fat.

This sounds really good for me .... where would I be able to get these "low fat" hamburgers?

C

Chip00

I gree that olive oil is better that hamburger meat without a doubt. However, I tried cooking the meat here like you said and it was so dry it was eating a paper bag. Next time try a hamburger at La Campagna and you'll see what I mean. If you like it like that that's fine too, however, I like my hamburgers juicy like they have them back home - and since I probably only eat them twice a month and have a fairly active lifestyle it hopefully shouldn't be that bad.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I used to love eating burgers at a restaurant chain in NYC called "Brew & burgers" back in the 80's. They had a special burger called "taco burger", yummmy, I used to love eating that.
I think I would like to replicate that recipe here in my backyard.
I will mix a bag of taco seasoning to the hamburger meat, maybe a few finely chopped onions and a hint of garlic. I will try it like that, just to see if that would give some taco flavor.
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This sounds really good for me .... where would I be able to get these "low fat" hamburgers?

Range fed Dominican beef doesn't have much fat. I get the best grade sold at Playero and it has very little fat. Itg is like ground round in the US, but with less fat. You have to put some fat in the frying pan. We use olive oil since it is better for you than most of the alternatives.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Range fed Dominican beef doesn't have much fat. I get the best grade sold at Playero and it has very little fat. Itg is like ground round in the US, but with less fat. You have to put some fat in the frying pan. We use olive oil since it is better for you than most of the alternatives.

Sorry but I really don't know where Playero is, Is that in Sosua?..Is there any place in Santiago where I can get this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pielmorena, Playero is in Sosua. But I would think the hamburger in Nacional and other big supermarkets in Santiago would be the same. Go to the meat counter and look at the packages of the best grade of hamburger. Price per pound will be a little higher and you may see something marked on the label to indicate it is 1st grade. Just by looking at the packages we buy here you can tell that it contains less fat than what is sold in the US as the best grade of hamburger.

C

Chip00

Hamburger Party

Maybe we ought to have a real American "Hamburger Party" (and hotdogs)cookout with real charcoal? I have a grill that I'm not using in Moca.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Pielmorena, Playero is in Sosua. But I would think the hamburger in Nacional and other big supermarkets in Santiago would be the same. Go to the meat counter and look at the packages of the best grade of hamburger. Price per pound will be a little higher and you may see something marked on the label to indicate it is 1st grade. Just by looking at the packages we buy here you can tell that it contains less fat than what is sold in the US as the best grade of hamburger.

Thanks Ken...I'll do that.

Sep 19, 2005
I am in on the juicy burgers...but some of us can handle the beef fat just fine... ha ha ha

so lets keep em juicy and tasting good... ketchup, mayonaise, pickles lettuce, lots of swiss cheese, salt and pepper, and bacon..........NO ONIONS!!

perfect compliment to my dominican exercise program.....

dont tell my GF I said that!!!!!!!!

Ill get in toooo much trouble

Moca?

Chip i thought you lived in santiago?

bob

C

Chip00

I am in on the juicy burgers...but some of us can handle the beef fat just fine... ha ha ha

so lets keep em juicy and tasting good... ketchup, mayonaise, pickles lettuce, lots of swiss cheese, salt and pepper, and bacon..........NO ONIONS!!

perfect compliment to my dominican exercise program.....

dont tell my GF I said that!!!!!!!!

Ill get in toooo much trouble

Moca?

Chip i thought you lived in santiago?

bob

Yes I live in Santiago but the grill is at the father inlaws house in Moca - or used to be - he may have sold it by now!

C

Chip00

if its in moca, then count me in.
AZB

AZB - the grill is in Moca but I live in Santiago on the Tamboril side - hopefully that is close enough. BTW why do like Moca so much? The people are nice but there ain't a whole lot to do and the streets are so damn bad - I know I go there just about every weekend to see the inlaws. They live in an area called Moca-San Luis paraje La Manzana.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I too noticed the same problem when buying hamburger here. As regular hamburger in the US usually has about 30% fat, lean 23% and extra lean has about 15% fat the hamburger here is what I would call extra, extra, extra, extra lean and that's for the least expensive hamburger. Rather then buying that and having to put up with the problems encountered in producing a pliable, enjoyable hamburger is to go to the butcher and pick out a 3 pound piece of meat. I then have the butcher trim off one pound of fat from all the meat he has and have him grind it up together. The fat I buy at a reduced rate and the finished product comes out at a little over 25% fat rate and looks and tastes like an American hamburger.

Rick

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
hes trying to get close to the banca that my GFs friend works at...but he is being sly and not letting on...because it aint quite upper class ha ha ha......ITS A BANCA!!!! ha ha ha

that Banca is near San Victor close to the turn off for rt 21

dont know where san luis is, but I have heard of it enough.

or maybe I am thinking of the street San Luis in santiago......who knows

Ill smell the burgers cooking

15 days and i am back .......

cant wait

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB - the grill is in Moca but I live in Santiago on the Tamboril side - hopefully that is close enough. BTW why do like Moca so much? The people are nice but there ain't a whole lot to do and the streets are so damn bad - I know I go there just about every weekend to see the inlaws. They live in an area called Moca-San Luis paraje La Manzana.

I will go to moca or tamboril, its ok for me. I like moca, the people are wonderful in nature and the women are the best looking in DR. If your wife is from there then you are a lucky man. I have yet to meet ugly women from there.
Lets plan it and lets invite that banca girl too.
AZB

C

Chip00

Cookout

I will go to moca or tamboril, its ok for me. I like moca, the people are wonderful in nature and the women are the best looking in DR. If your wife is from there then you are a lucky man. I have yet to meet ugly women from there.
Lets plan it and lets invite that banca girl too.
AZB

Well it's settled then - we'll do it at my house after Bob gets in town.

Bob, let us know your schedule.

Also, I will let everybody know maybe a week out as I can't commit for any time longer than that due to my work.

See ya!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
moca has the best "meat" in DR.
yeah, i was talking about ladies. :cheeky:

we make our hamburgers on our LEAN MEAN FAT REDUCING GRILLING MACHINE (ufff...) since i have to keep an eye on minovio's buddha.
we add garlic, onion, salt, pepper and salsa de inglese.
warm up buns, load with cheese, pickles, veggies, LOTS OF MAYO (me) and tabasco (minovio). PYCHA! ("yummy" in polish). ok, i lied about keeping an eye on miniovio's diet... ;)