construction

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
i read a lot of the builder notes on how much it will cost to build a house. I have a couple of basic questions for you to consider!( before i go to my builder i wanted to clarify some costs in general...so i can get the best quote for my house
i want a 105 m2 house basic as described below

now my builder is sort of indicating from previous conversations with him that he can build a basic home for $320 a m2 us$'s * 105metre home design i have.
from what ive read on the site the
cost price of the house would be;

foundation for house/complete= $5000us
walls made of cemant brick= $500us
windows budget for me $100 per window *12 windows=$1200
all plumbing done $1000
all electrics done $1000
all tiling $10sqm =$1050 +labour $500
painting$500
cement roof $2000
but no vanity or shower console (ill buy later)
sliding window doors *4= $2000
standard doors quality $200 ea*7= $1400us
construction fee; 10%

from what ive read the COST PRICE to build a 105m2 house might be
16500us + construction fee 10%; 105m2 *320m2=$32000= $3200us construction fee

so total is $16500+$3200=$20000us approx to build a 105m2 house which is $200m2 approx cost price to build this house...
then the builder puts on his profit of $120m2 ($200+$120=$320m2 (is that a lot of profit for this builder????what do you think???)

my questions are these...have i worked out the cost correctly because i want to offer the builder to build this house$280-$290 a sq metre????I want to pay $28-29000us for a basic house like this...do you think this is a reasonable offer for the builder or are there other costs i havent considered that may build up the cost price for the builder????any thoughts or corrections will be welcome
thank you

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
:bunny: :ermm: not much to say Bar.s for the window,s;) ? and a generator when the electric goes off

C

Chip00

I'm going to talk with my home builder here in Santiago. If you don't here back from me soon send me a private message. I should be able to get a price per sq m and the overall price for you. Can we assume that the cost of the property is separate?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
:bunny: :ermm: not much to say Bar.s for the window,s;) ? and a generator when the electric goes off
Oh I don't know Vince, what about
Is the building to be one level or two?? Although the footprint of the house would remain the same, this would make a sizable difference to the actual FLOOR sq meterage!
Is there potted water already to the property or will this have to be arranged?
Is sewage already available to the land or is a cesspit going to be necessary?
If one or both are NOT in place already, is the builder including getting the supply in place within the quote given?
What type of roof is being quoted - Bermuda, tiled or flat? (If the latter, please consider getting it asphalted during building process).
Does the quote include walls, railings or other surrounds to the property?
Does te quote include making good the garden & laying it to grass (or whatever you have chosen)?
Does the quote include getting all the permissions necessary to build? Five as I recall!

Sorry I can't help on TODAY'S building costs but I do have the quotation we were given 5 years ago if you want to check against that some time. We got 4 or 5 quotes from builders at that time & got them to itemize costs. Ten we checked one against the others to see where the 'Loading' was being put on by each, discussed this 'Loading' to get a revised price & took the most plausible quote after numerous discussions!

If you have a design drawn up & would like me to get a basic quote from our friendly architect, just pop it across to me & I'll go see him - with you if you prefer!! ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
plus:
where the house is being built? if the soil/ground is bad you need different foundation - adds up to the costs.
does the quote include fence/wall around the property?
plastering inside and out?
cistern? alternative power source (solar panels, batteries)?

remember to have some money put aside for building "emergencies", they normally come up...

have someone to survey the land: is it suitable for the type of house you want?

200.000 US dollars is not a bad price.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now, you got me confused, it is not possible to build a house of that size for 20.000 US dollars, is it?
or have i been around AZB's dominicans for too long?
200.000 is a fair price for a nice size house (all included).
20.000 is IMPOSSIBLE!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
now, you got me confused, it is not possible to build a house of that size for 20.000 US dollars, is it?
or have i been around AZB's dominicans for too long?
200.000 is a fair price for a nice size house (all included).
20.000 is IMPOSSIBLE!

Yes you're confused. In spite of what some people here may claim it does not cost that much to build a house in The DR. Of course everything has to do with how high end you go with certain things such as cabinets, tiles, etc...Besides a 105 m2 house is not that big.

Mike: I didn't see any cabinetry in your budget. No kitchen?

In terms of the money the builder will charge you, I guess it all depends on where you're located and what the going rate is in that area. In my case I built a 400+ m2 house two years ago and I paid the "Maestro" 450,000 pesos and that included having the plumbing laid out and him providing his own wood framing for the poured roofs, which is another thing you need to make sure they include otherwise you have to rent this and it could go for as much as 2000 USD.

I think a figure of about 50 to 60k is more realistic, given all of these things people have pointed out...

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
geee, our apartment costs twice as much, maybe we should sell and start construction? LOL
i am still not convinced about 20.000 dollars, we are not talking about a house in a barrio, are we?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
geee, our apartment costs twice as much, maybe we should sell and start construction? LOL
i am still not convinced about 20.000 dollars, we are not talking about a house in a barrio, are we?

Well obviously that doesn't include the lot...or it could depending on the area. If you're involved and you negotiate right I would say you could definitely build something nice for about 50,000 (not including the lot) and definitely much larger than an apartment. Of course a house is much more difficult to maintain than an apartment, so it all depends on what you're looking for. Personally I like to have my own space so If I want to blast my music at 3:00 AM I don't have to worry about my neighbor right next to me.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Rebar cost in construction?.... very important as it is a major cost. Labour cost? Often not included in a tender...Bars INSIDE windows MUCH better than outside (No rust, i.e. little mainterance). DEFINITELY padlocked barred gates to secure all outside doors & DEFINITELY on bedroom doors also. Weld steel plates over all padlocks so they are only accessible by your key from underneath. Make folding steel inside bars to secure sliding glass doors, which are easily otherwise opened. Solar powered hot water tank on roof. Garage for your vehicle (with flat roof so you can build apt on top later.) Remember a grease trap for kitchen water, & field tanks/bed for toilets. Large cistern & 8 battery inverter essential. Sensor lights all round house. Concrete block surrounding walls, 8ft minimum & sliding gate, (electric if you can afford it...) The list goes on...... Canadian Bob.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I may be crazy here, but I have a great idea which could really cut down on building costs. How about buying a few (10-15) shipping containers (1500$) used each and welding them all together..?
Afterwards it's a matter of cutting excess steel, like for doors, windows and floors and then stucco or whatever. I know there's a global excess of containers and they sure would be incredibly strong.
Any thoughts?
: p.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Why so hot?
I think smart design and AC could help.
The containers in a way would become the re-bar and be totally covered.
Any other problems you can think of?

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yeah, that's a little more basic than what I had in mind. For example.... their 2 containers would be my garage...side by side with the middle removed. Plus I think it's pretty important to make sure you never see the containers under the concrete skin.
Thanks for looking that up BTW.
: p.

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
I'm going to talk with my home builder here in Santiago. If you don't here back from me soon send me a private message. I should be able to get a price per sq m and the overall price for you. Can we assume that the cost of the property is separate?

yes...it is separate

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
plus:
where the house is being built? if the soil/ground is bad you need different foundation - adds up to the costs.
does the quote include fence/wall around the property?
plastering inside and out?
cistern? alternative power source (solar panels, batteries)?

remember to have some money put aside for building "emergencies", they normally come up...

have someone to survey the land: is it suitable for the type of house you want?

200.000 US dollars is not a bad price.

$200000.00us for a house in the dr.....never!!! thats an outrage. im really talking about a basic house that is cement rendered, painted, with basic tile. im not looking to build the taj mahal!. From the pms ive received from some very helpful people it would seem that one can erect a house for the following costs

some rough suggestions for a 105metre house ive received from those that pm'd me
my house is defined as; footings complete, the shell of the house rendered with cement and painted,plumbing , electrics, tiled (basic tiles)

it does not include generators,electricity/water connection, window bars, windows, doors, sliding doors,actual bathroom facilities ie toilet/shower console (plumbing will be there though ready)or landscaping. This is the house definition.

you know its very interesting to speak with people that can offer some assistance in this area as ive been shocked at how little it costs to PURCHASE THE COMPONENTS OF A HOUSE (yes i do understand that top of the line stuff costs loads but when one wishes to have run of the mill home equipment/furnishings then the cost to get a home up is staggeringly low)

I received loads of info but in general it would cost me somewhere in the vicinity of the following

foundation for house/complete= $500us
walls made of cemant brick= $600us

all plumbing done $400
all electrics done $400
all tiling $10sqm tile =$1050 +labour $100=$1150
painting house $500
cement roof $500
total $4100-$4500 approx just to purchase these things and have them built into a working house
this is roughly $40 a metre to construct

for arguments sake say i include
12 windows = $2000 total
toilet= $150
basin/vanity $500
shower console; built in already during construction
kitchen $1500 (small...not 'granite')
doors*4= 800
3*2mtre sliding doors (guesstimate)= $2000
2* water tanks for sewerage and water =$2000
Okay lets say he hires bull-dozers, trucks for a couple of days allow= $2000
builders 10% construction fee= $1000
Total $11700kus total or round to $12000 (i dont think i forgot anything)
I can see that it will cost $4500+$12000= $16500us for the cost price to build a 105m2 house or $160us dollars a metre approx!!!!
And my builder wanted to add on another $160us a metre as his profit =16000 profit for the builder). As far as im concerned thats pure BS and unless ive forgotten some expences along the way whichis entirely possible. well im looking for a cheaper way!!!!!!!!!!! just my thoughts and research...feel free to tear it apart

inverter $3000
oven $500
Fridge$700

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think you're relatively close on your calculations, but I think you're underestimating the costs of certain things (i.e. Cement walls $600). You will need blocks, rebar, sand and cement. I don't think you can get all that for 600 USD. I think your also grossly underestimating the cement roof. Remember that all of this has again a lot of rebar, cement and sand...plus you have to rent the wood and pay the carpenter to setup the frame to allow the pouring of the cement.

I think if you add another 40% you may be OK.