Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: construction

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default construction

i read a lot of the builder notes on how much it will cost to build a house. I have a couple of basic questions for you to consider!( before i go to my builder i wanted to clarify some costs in general...so i can get the best quote for my house
    i want a 105 m2 house basic as described below

now my builder is sort of indicating from previous conversations with him that he can build a basic home for $320 a m2 us$'s * 105metre home design i have.
    from what ive read on the site the
    cost price of the house would be;

foundation for house/complete= $5000us
    walls made of cemant brick= $500us
    windows budget for me $100 per window *12 windows=$1200
    all plumbing done $1000
    all electrics done $1000
    all tiling $10sqm =$1050 +labour $500
    painting$500
    cement roof $2000
    but no vanity or shower console (ill buy later)
    sliding window doors *4= $2000
    standard doors quality $200 ea*7= $1400us
    construction fee; 10%

from what ive read the COST PRICE to build a 105m2 house might be
    16500us + construction fee 10%; 105m2 *320m2=$32000= $3200us construction fee

so total is $16500+$3200=$20000us approx to build a 105m2 house which is $200m2 approx cost price to build this house...
    then the builder puts on his profit of $120m2 ($200+$120=$320m2 (is that a lot of profit for this builder????what do you think???)

my questions are these...have i worked out the cost correctly because i want to offer the builder to build this house$280-$290 a sq metre????I want to pay $28-29000us for a basic house like this...do you think this is a reasonable offer for the builder or are there other costs i havent considered that may build up the cost price for the builder????any thoughts or corrections will be welcome
    thank you

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You've done a nice job here. I hope for you to get some replies.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

not much to say Bar.s for the window,s ? and a generator when the electric goes off

Chip00

I'm going to talk with my home builder here in Santiago. If you don't here back from me soon send me a private message. I should be able to get a price per sq m and the overall price for you. Can we assume that the cost of the property is separate?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vince1956 View Post
    not much to say Bar.s for the window,s ? and a generator when the electric goes off
    Oh I don't know Vince, what about
    Is the building to be one level or two?? Although the footprint of the house would remain the same, this would make a sizable difference to the actual FLOOR sq meterage!
    Is there potted water already to the property or will this have to be arranged?
    Is sewage already available to the land or is a cesspit going to be necessary?
    If one or both are NOT in place already, is the builder including getting the supply in place within the quote given?
    What type of roof is being quoted - Bermuda, tiled or flat? (If the latter, please consider getting it asphalted during building process).
    Does the quote include walls, railings or other surrounds to the property?
    Does te quote include making good the garden & laying it to grass (or whatever you have chosen)?
    Does the quote include getting all the permissions necessary to build? Five as I recall!

Sorry I can't help on TODAY'S building costs but I do have the quotation we were given 5 years ago if you want to check against that some time. We got 4 or 5 quotes from builders at that time & got them to itemize costs. Ten we checked one against the others to see where the 'Loading' was being put on by each, discussed this 'Loading' to get a revised price & took the most plausible quote after numerous discussions!

If you have a design drawn up & would like me to get a basic quote from our friendly architect, just pop it across to me & I'll go see him - with you if you prefer!! ~ Grahame.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

plus:
    where the house is being built? if the soil/ground is bad you need different foundation - adds up to the costs.
    does the quote include fence/wall around the property?
    plastering inside and out?
    cistern? alternative power source (solar panels, batteries)?

remember to have some money put aside for building "emergencies", they normally come up...

have someone to survey the land: is it suitable for the type of house you want?

200.000 US dollars is not a bad price.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

200.000 US dollars is not a bad price.
    you want to say 20000US$

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

now, you got me confused, it is not possible to build a house of that size for 20.000 US dollars, is it?
    or have i been around AZB's dominicans for too long?
    200.000 is a fair price for a nice size house (all included).
    20.000 is IMPOSSIBLE!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    now, you got me confused, it is not possible to build a house of that size for 20.000 US dollars, is it?
    or have i been around AZB's dominicans for too long?
    200.000 is a fair price for a nice size house (all included).
    20.000 is IMPOSSIBLE!
    Yes you're confused. In spite of what some people here may claim it does not cost that much to build a house in The DR. Of course everything has to do with how high end you go with certain things such as cabinets, tiles, etc...Besides a 105 m2 house is not that big.

Mike: I didn't see any cabinetry in your budget. No kitchen?

In terms of the money the builder will charge you, I guess it all depends on where you're located and what the going rate is in that area. In my case I built a 400+ m2 house two years ago and I paid the "Maestro" 450,000 pesos and that included having the plumbing laid out and him providing his own wood framing for the poured roofs, which is another thing you need to make sure they include otherwise you have to rent this and it could go for as much as 2000 USD.

I think a figure of about 50 to 60k is more realistic, given all of these things people have pointed out...
    Last edited by suarezn; 02-01-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

geee, our apartment costs twice as much, maybe we should sell and start construction? LOL
    i am still not convinced about 20.000 dollars, we are not talking about a house in a barrio, are we?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast