A little info please

skydiverbill

Jan 22, 2007
My lady and I will be making our first trip to the DR on March 3, 2007. Two week stay at a resort. Punta Carna
Questions;
1) Is purchasing trip, or medical insurance a good idea?
2) Should we get travelers checks or just bring cash?
3) How safe is it to use a credit cards in local business?
4) Where is the best place to exchange US$ for pesos?
Any other tips that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks........Bill

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. government hospital will patch you for free should the need arise but it ain't nice and clean so if you are accidents prone get the insurance.
as to trips - some are well worth it.

2. depends where you travel from, i use my uk cards in atms and it works with best rates, check with your bank.

3. small businesses (hotels, restaurants, shops) may not take cards at all. in bigger places it's fine, or it has been so far for me. some form of id is required to use the card.

4. cambios are all over the country and rates are more or less the same, with the exception of the airports, of course.

enjoy and travel around as much as you can. i see you are thinking about settling down (in another post) so get you butt from AI (if you stay in one) and wander around!

LOL

skydiverbill

Jan 22, 2007
Thanks dv8........What is AI?
What about travelers checks? Buy or no buy, and are they accepted iby locals? Just trying to pick some brain matter here. Have not traveled outside U.S. very much.
Thanks Again.........Bill

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
AI=all inclusive
get out of the resort and travel a little. santiago is not a tourist destination but well worth seeing. get to the mountains - jarabacoa, constanza. it's a long way from punta cana but give it a go. no one comes to live here and then fry on the beach all the time.
i am european, to me travellers check is as exotic as taj mahal, i am cash and plastic girl.
check with your bank, i have been told american banks charge more for using card/atm abroad than european.
locals will accept anything, money wise... LOL
seriously, ask at your bank. i'd say take bit of everything, to be on a safe side...

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I was there for 3 weeks and took credit cards and travelers checks and
wasn't able to use either. Take some cash and an ATM card if you need more.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Bill, my American brother...I just returned from the South Coast.

Please understand, the DR is not the USA. Travelers Checks and credit cards are fine in our modern society, however I found that DOLLARS and PESOS were the key to eliminating any stress on my trip.

I did carry back up ca$h (USD) in a belt designed to do so, and I changed dollars at the cambios on the street corner. (Small "money stores") I always had $100-$150USD ($3300+DRP) at any time on me to spend...

I can honestly say I never felt threatened or otherwise unsafe anywhere I walked (and I walked everywhere in BC, early and late). Personally, I think being aware of your surroundings, not flashing big wads of money and being as nice and kind as the locals are to you will go alot further than trying to pay with "funny money".

Remember, outside the sanitary walls of the AI is a reasonably safe third world country made up of people, the majority of which are good.....

Live an adventure, convert your money outside the airport (the exchange rate at the combios are much better), PAY WITH PESOS...TIP WITH PESOS...smile a lot and enjoy....have a Presidente for me!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh yeah, i keep on forgetting credit cards are different from atm cards.
any big store will accept american credit cards, also hotels and better restaurants. rate and charges may not be nice thou.
some banks (at least in europe) issue cards (debit cards) that are charge free when used abroad. is it ever a case for american banks too?

skydiverbill

Jan 22, 2007
Thank You all very much for the sound advice. It is extremely helpful.
I fully intend to enjoy myself, and to travel around a bit while in the DR. I am by nature a cautious person and very well aware of my surroundings at all times. I have been this way since I was in the Marines in Vietnam '69.
It is my cautious nature that is prompting these questions. I realize different cultures and different countries have a variety of ways for the uninformed to get into trouble. Thinking they can do it the same way as back home, or thinking the law is the same. Not so, I am sure. Best to find out as much as possible.
Again with the Thanks........Bill

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Carrying loads of cash is a robbery waiting to happen, so is changing money on the street. Bring most of the money in US Travellers Cheques. They are easily exchanged in all banks. Debit cards can be easily used to draw cash pesos from your chequing account, no matter where you are from. Be sensible, we don't want to see your name under "statistics". Canadian Bob.

skydiverbill

Jan 22, 2007
American banks for the most part charge a fee for using debit cards in any ATM that is not owned or affiliated with the issuing bank. I think I will stick with cash as much as possible. Based on what I have read here.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It would help to know which resort you're staying at. There are several banks in Bavaro that can change your traveller's checks if you decide to take them along but most businesses won't know what to do with them. Depending on how close you are to a bank, it'll be either a good or bad idea. You can pay with your credit card in the larger stores and gift shops but not in the smaller stores on the beach. However, I strongly recommend paying cash (either US or pesos) to avoid problems with fraudulent charges on your credit card. You never know. Keep all your extra cash in your safe and only carry on your what you need and you shouldn't have any problems. Have a nice trip!