Just arrived

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, what can I say.
I just arrived at POP this afternoon.
This had been long planed and during the last two year, this "plan" has gone through a lot of changes, much based of the knowledge gained on this forum.
I have decided to run a 6 months "kick the tires" on this country stay... meaning that I got here with two big suitcases, my laptop and stuff. I am renting a place near Sosua and will continue to do so for at least 6 months. Maybe I'll buy a car... maybe I just keep on renting the one I have for this month for some more months... but otherwise I will not invest yet, besides time and effort.

I'll look around, try to get to know people, both nationals and expats... I speak English, Spanish, French and German fluently. I would love to meet some of you guys too.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Well, what can I say.
I just arrived at POP this afternoon.
This had been long planed and during the last two year, this "plan" has gone through a lot of changes, much based of the knowledge gained on this forum.
I have decided to run a 6 months "kick the tires" on this country stay... meaning that I got here with two big suitcases, my laptop and stuff. I am renting a place near Sosua and will continue to do so for at least 6 months. Maybe I'll buy a car... maybe I just keep on renting the one I have for this month for some more months... but otherwise I will not invest yet, besides time and effort.

I'll look around, try to get to know people, both nationals and expats... I speak English, Spanish, French and German fluently. I would love to meet some of you guys too.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Good luck J D,

Hopefully everything go smooth for you, It's a great advantage for you speaking all these languages.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Welcome JD!
Please be sure to check out this side of the island while you're here.
The sunny south does have it's perks and a few expats too!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
SPOT ON J-D, just the way to go!!!

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: WELCOME TO THE DR (at last!!) :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

If/when you come over to the Puerto Plata area to check out the shopping, give us a call & pop in to say 'Hi'. ` Grahame.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
J D Welcome. We arrived in August and are really enjoying the "adventure". Holler if there is anything we can do for you.

Bob K

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Buy a used car, fix it cheap in santiago, use it for 6 months and then sell it cheap. It will still be cheaper than renting cars for 6 months.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Buy a used car, fix it cheap in santiago, use it for 6 months and then sell it cheap. It will still be cheaper than renting cars for 6 months.
AZB

I did the same thing during a month and a half stint at the Battelle Memorial Institute, in Columbus, Ohio. I bought a cheap used car from a dealer when I arrived, and three days before leaving I sold it back for almost the same price.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you and those who e-mailed for the warm welcoming words.
I do not intend to leave in 6 months... only not to "invest" for that time... to leave an easy exit door open. But I think I will stay...
I think it's more the location that is not really decided yet. Right now I am almost in Sosua... not the city I initially wanted to start out from (Puerto Plata). I want to look closer at Samana and region too...

AZB: Thanks for you thoughts. I have spent much of my youth fixing imperfect cars... I suffer from a "been there, done that" syndrome when I see cars that need TLC. I'd rather build one from scratch :)
I want to look at new or nearly new IF I buy. But I understand your point and I think it's a very valid one too.

Mirador: I am sure you will agree that this place can not really be compared to Columbus Ohio... but then, that wasn't your intention ;)

Bob K: I'll gladly holler some day (I holler quite often actually).

Lambada: I am not very laid back... something I came here for to learn. :surprised

Bush Baby: I'd love to give you a call.... but I must have misplaced your phone number... No wait... I never had it :) I'll be going to Puerto Plata tomorrow (Sat).

MommC: I'll check it out... which side are you on?

Rocky: Thanks! (are you the man for Rocky's?)

Chris: By saying that I would not invest for the first 6 months, I meant money... time will be my investment, time and effort... so, no, I am not sitting back... I'll be traveling quite a bit, talking to people, looking, watching, yes, even spying a little... just trying to use that time to acquire some knowledge so I don't actually DO all the mistakes. But I know what you meant. Thanks!

MrDR: Saber sprechen tant de languages puede manchmal etre confusing too. Naw, you're right... it helps... but then, there is more to it to succeed.

;) Thanks! ... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
JD, it was a real pleasure to meet you today. :) I hope you decide to stay after all your travels to locate which part of the DR is right for you because you'll be an asset to this country.

It is SO nice to meet a newcomer who is intelligent, sensitive and knowledgeable about Latin American politics and life. And trust me, it is SO rare................:laugh: Now I'll duck before everyone else starts hurling things at me.

Welcome again.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thank you!

JD, it was a real pleasure to meet you today. :) I hope you decide to stay after all your travels to locate which part of the DR is right for you because you'll be an asset to this country.

It is SO nice to meet a newcomer who is intelligent, sensitive and knowledgeable about Latin American politics and life. And trust me, it is SO rare................:laugh: Now I'll duck before everyone else starts hurling things at me.

Welcome again.

Thank YOU so much for having received me at your home and offered so much advice... this was mighty generous of your part. And thank you for your kind words here about me.
Later that day, I spent a good hour at the parque and just enjoyed being in Puelto Plata :)

... J-D.

B

batich

Thanks to all of you and those who e-mailed for the warm welcoming words.

Thanks for you thoughts. I have spent much of my youth fixing imperfect cars... I suffer from a "been there, done that" syndrome when I see cars that need TLC. I'd rather build one from scratch :)
I want to look at new or nearly new IF I buy. But I understand your point and I think it's a very valid one too.

;) Thanks! ... J-D.

Welcome to the beautiful Dominican Republic and to DR1 !!!!!

If you ever decide to buy a nearly new car, you may count on me. I will buy one for you at the closed wholesale auction for licensed dealers only in NY. Most of them are trade-ins or off-lease.

All possible years, models and mileages. Depending on how much you will be willing to spend.

You`ll get a substantial money saving and practically new condition. Both in appearence and mechanically. Without unpleasant surprises and bad history.

The whole thing including delivery from NY to SD takes normally one month and a half.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Welcome to the beautiful Dominican Republic and to DR1 !!!!!

If you ever decide to buy a nearly new car, you may count on me. I will buy one for you at the closed wholesale auction for licensed dealers only in NY. Most of them are trade-ins or off-lease.

All possible years, models and mileages. Depending on how much you will be willing to spend.

You`ll get a substantial money saving and practically new condition. Both in appearence and mechanically. Without unpleasant surprises and bad history.

The whole thing including delivery from NY to SD takes normally one month and a half.

Dear "batich"

Thanks for your offer.
Since it already includes some details of how you want to do business, let me share some of my thoughts here too:

As you will understand... I need a vehicle in the DR, with a Dominican registration, Dominican tag and everything DOMINICAN, all DR taxes and duties paid. Delivered like so to my door step in the DR against my payment. If a deposit was to be needed at time of order it would be held by my lawyer here in the DR in escrow and only be freed upon delivery as stated above. If you are buying up in NY I will have the vehicle inspected by my people.
If that is what you propose we can talk.

I will not under any circumstance pay for a car that is in the US and yet has to be shipped to the DR and/or clear customs and/or registration here because then, if I, you or your agent have the least of a problem with the shipper, customs agent or the DR authorities I would be in a position I do not care to be in.

You are most welcome to e-mail or PM me anytime.
Thanks! ... J-D.

B

batich

Dear "batich"

Thanks for your offer.
Since it already includes some details of how you want to do business, let me share some of my thoughts here too:

As you will understand... I need a vehicle in the DR, with a Dominican registration, Dominican tag and everything DOMINICAN, all DR taxes and duties paid. Delivered like so to my door step in the DR against my payment. If a deposit was to be needed at time of order it would be held by my lawyer here in the DR in escrow and only be freed upon delivery as stated above. If you are buying up in NY I will have the vehicle inspected by my people.
If that is what you propose we can talk.

I will not under any circumstance pay for a car that is in the US and yet has to be shipped to the DR and/or clear customs and/or registration here because then, if I, you or your agent have the least of a problem with the shipper, customs agent or the DR authorities I would be in a position I do not care to be in.

You are most welcome to e-mail or PM me anytime.
Thanks! ... J-D.

I do not buy and resale a car to you.

I only allow you to use my dealer`s license (that costs $10 000 a year) to buy from a closed to public dealers-only wholesale auction.
The only source where it is really possible to get a car with several thousand US dollars saving and with U.S. legally guaranteed mileage and absence of accident history.
The place where licensed dealers buy cars to resell on their lots with four-five thousand dollars mark-up .

Your people can go with me to the auction and inspect cars of course.

Full payment is due to the auction within three days upon purchasing a car. Without full payment auction does not release cars.

Upon payment to the auction I will have the car delivered to the sea port and shipped to DR. Mail you documents.
That is all that I will do.

To receive it in DR and to go through DR formalities - is your part.

I do not sell cars. I help people to buy cheap and with highest possible guaranteed quality.

If it is not what you want - so you do not need my envolvement and your better option will be to try your luck and to buy locally.

I responded to you in the Forum so that not to repeat the same information that many other people ask me about.
Good luck!