Just watched sankie panky movie.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just came back from the sankie panky movie. All I have to say is that the dominicans will love it but the foreigners will find it a borderline boring movie. The film is full of barrio jokes so most non dominicans will not even understand the ghetto gibberish they speak throughout the movie. I understood every word and still found the movie only a 5 in a scale of 10. The actors are ugly except Alina vargas. She is a true beauty.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's disappointing to hear. I watched the trailer on Cadena de Noticias a couple of weeks back & it had me laughing out loud........all that white overweight female tourist cellulite bobbing around desperately trying to keep up at keep fit as the music got faster & faster & the tourists less & less co-ordinated......... it seemed to ring true to my tourist days if I can think back that far. Sound track, what I heard of it, semed good too. But there wasn't much speech in the bit I saw.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the actors did more stand up comedy than actual acting. I understand the main actor is a comedian in real life. The American boyfriend of the girl was white alright but spoke english with a thick latino accent. I think he was a dominican as well. The plus plus points in the movie were : alina vargas (beautiful daughter of wilfredo vargas); of course she is a santiaguera. The song sang by the main vocalist of negros and Alina vargas is very entertaining.
Other than that, the actors over acted and the jokes were pure ghetto types that you could hear everyday if you deal with barrio folks.
AZB

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
the actors did more stand up comedy than actual acting. I understand the main actor is a comedian in real life. The American boyfriend of the girl was white alright but spoke english with a thick latino accent. I think he was a dominican as well. The plus plus points in the movie were : alina vargas (beautiful daughter of wilfredo vargas); of course she is a santiaguera. The song sang by the main vocalist of negros and Alina vargas is very entertaining.
Other than that, the actors over acted and the jokes were pure ghetto types that you could hear everyday if you deal with barrio folks.
AZB

I saw it last night with my other half. My Spanish is not great so much of it went right over my head. Regardless, I still got enough to follow the movie and laugh a few times. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 and recommend waiting for the DVD with subtitles unless you can understand "barrio gibberish" (AZB).

I agree that the "gringo" characters were far from being gringos. There are enough starving actors in the US and Canada that you would think they could have got a few really cheap.

Scandall

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
Will someone identify the title of this movie? Does anyone know how to get a legit copy of this movie in the USA?

Cual es el nombre de esta pelicula. Como puedo veerla en EEU

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The pirate copies of the sanky panky movie is a hoax. The movie inside is something else. You would have to wait until the movie comes out in DVD in DR then someone can bring a copy for you. I bought Andrea for 100 pesos.
I doubt if this movie will make it outside of DR.
AZB

C

Chip00

The pirate copies of the sanky panky movie is a hoax. The movie inside is something else. You would have to wait until the movie comes out in DVD in DR then someone can bring a copy for you. I bought Andrea for 100 pesos.
I doubt if this movie will make it outside of DR.
AZB

AZB -

More than likely copies will be available on the street by the end of this week if not Monday albeit not good - don't pay anything more that RD90.

I assume from your critique that the comedy is in the same vein as the shows that come on in the evening, right? I've tried watching them and if you don't know all of the slang it can be tough - AND even if you do understand I have a problem understanding why it is so funny. Too me it just seems to lack sophistication - almost like a "bizarro" version of British humor. BTW - I like British humor for the most part but my tastes are more in line with like Jim Carey's stuff - that guy rips me up!

Anyway AZB, You ought to start a thread to explain to us "Dominican" humor as it is still somewhat "opaque" to me. As you know the wife is Dominican and I get to hang out with them all of the time and listen to their "jokes" but man it's like I'm from another planet because a lot of times I thing "big deal". The same goes for when I tell them a joke that I know - they just sit there and scratch their heads or worse my wife says I have no sense of humor!

Roger out

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
well chip, I am in the same boat as you are. Dominican jokes are no big deal to me either. I don't think most are very funny at all. Then you tell them an american joke and they look at us the same way. I guess we have different sense of humor. I like the george carlin type comedy, sophisticated, political and yet extremely funny. The sankie panky movie reminded me of 3 stooges.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I agree that the "gringo" characters were far from being gringos. There are enough starving actors in the US and Canada that you would think they could have got a few really cheap.

Scandall

Now you know how I feel when I see American movies with some Puerto Rican, Mexican or even worse an American trying to portray a Dominican or someone from another Latin country (i.e. Edward James Olmos as Trujillo in "The Time of the Butterflies").

I do have to say that even though I'm Dominican and grew up with that "humor" that AZB refers to I'm not a big fan of it. There are some things that a lot of other Dominicans find funny which I don't. It seems a lot of people down there prefer the more physical type of comedy, where I like more of Chris Rock type of stand up...and this is not just a Dominican thing. Just look at the comedy shows on Univision. Most of them absolutely suck...

For some reason the stand up comedy genre has not developed much in Latin countries...even though I've known plenty of people in The DR alone who are very funny and if the honed their skills could be very good at it.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Dominican humor is just plain basic, it seems it appeals to analphabet types... Indeed, as mentioned above by Suarezn, one has to see the "humor programs" on Univision to see that it is just plain vulgar and idiotic...

If you really want to see what dominicans love to laugh about, just watch "La opci?n de las doce" around noon on "Telemicro Canal 5".

Actually it is very intersting to analyze how latino medias keep their viewers on that analphabet, idiotic and vulgar level, all over, all the time. It is true when you watch their novelas, their comic stuff, their movies, their "Escandanlo TV" type of programs...

It seems like it is the official politic : keep all those latino stupid, provide them with those brain-dead TV programs, so they don't access anything "intelligent"...

I am wondering what is the logic behind that...

-Any poster out there can write about a good dominican TV program ?

(well, maybe Nuria...)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
It seems like it is the official politic : keep all those latino stupid, provide them with those brain-dead TV programs, so they don't access anything "intelligent"...

-Any poster out there can write about a good dominican TV program ?

(well, maybe Nuria...)

I have to admit that "Divertido con Joche" and "Sabado de Corporan" are so mindless that I can't help but watch them if I am flipping through the channels. Amazing.

Scandall

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...The sankie panky movie reminded me of 3 stooges.
AZB

Popular Dominican humour is pure slapstick, which happens to be the oldest form of humour, going back to the Taino, more like the cavemen, who discovered it while watching one of their peers stumble and trip over a rock. By the way, the rock is still there, and we keep stumbling over it, to the delight and laughter of the entire audience...

Comedreja

Dec 27, 2006
(well, maybe Nuria...)

You are absolutely on to something here. Just another subliminal way to keep a hierarchy of order in place and definitely keeping capitalism nicely oiled and running smooth. After all, someone needs to do all the grunt work for the few people who are able to filter past the activities that keep people "brain dead.(sarcasm)"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SQUAT: It's not "analphabet" it's "illiterate" in English...but I catch your drift.

As for the movie, Texas Bill is taking his kids this afternoon rather than come over here to watch the Super Bowl!! Well, as I told him, this might become a training film for his boys if they don't straighten up and fly right!!

The few Dominicans that have mentioned this film to me laugh at some of the "English" in the movie.....

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw this program on canal 5 when i was waiting for my residency (an idea of a tv in waiting rooms in DR is somewhat ingenious) and i thought it was for kids....
you know, all this overdone, "theatrical" almost acting, it's characteristic for kids programs.
squat, are you eastern european? "analphabet" sounds similar to polish "analfabeta" (illiterate)...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you, HB, for the correction, as you know english is not my native language. No, I am not eastern european, however I tend to feel more at ease with latin languages...

I do not want to disrespect the dominicans in my previous statement. It is just that I feel most of them are quite primitive in their humor, music, behaviour and more. And yes, AZB would be totally right when saying that Dominicans in Santiago (or Sto Dgo) are more educated than their "touristic areas" counterparts...

I hate to write that, but the most primitive Dominicans I met are the ones from the Saman? Peninsula (yes, by that I also include Las Terrenas...)... As a group, they tend to have a bad attitude, and one gets to dislike them after a while...

I feel some nostalgia for my years in Luperon, where folks were way nicer... (but it's tough to make a living in Luperon...).

I drifted a bit off-topic, but I guess not too much, since the thread is about Sanky-panky, dominican humor etc...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Dominican humor? only Dominicans understand it and sometimes only Dominicans from certain areas of the republic. If you are planning on exporting comedy you must try to polish it so that a wide range of people can catch the humor. I get frustrated with those Dominican shows that are showing here in the states when the comedians start making reference to certain politicians or certain things that only the people who are in their inner circle could understand and laugh about it.

I too can't stand watching some of the Univision comedies because they use their Mexican language, which I do understand most of the time, having been around Mexicans for a while, but I'm sure many other non-Mexicans don't get.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Hi Everybody,
Maybe I'm getting stupid since I'm living here. I don't know. Until now eveybody used to call me the "intellectual"!!! Everybody has to change in his life I suppose. I'm not used to watch Dominican prgograms...But anyway I watched the movie Sanky-Panky and I loved it. This is so true!!! And it is fresh, made romantic, in one word I loved it. I understood everything, and also the athmosphere during the moving (everything was full full full) is fanastic, so different. This was one of the best moments in the last weeks (ok, my life is very quite, if you have some ideas to make it a little bit more spicy, just tell me....). If you are living or have been living in a barrio or in the campo, you should be able to undestand everything. Just go, this is an easy comedy, just a good moment.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Put it like this, if you grew up in barrios, then you will find this movie extremely funny and entertaining.
AZB

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
I watched the movie over the weekend and found it mildly entertaining. The most annoying thing of the whole experience was the people in the movie theater. They were not only loud, but they had to comment on every single "dumb" thing the actors where doing.

Sheesh!